1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dentures on the track?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wheedle, Jan 22, 2019.

1. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

Again, not racing ( unless they start an 'Old Fat Guys on Old Goofy Bikes' class )... I asked on the STT forums, but I though I'd ask here too...

I know I can't be the only one... so my question is do you ride on the track with them in or out? I'm in The middle of getting everything pulled and dentures made, due to cleft palate and the resulting surgeries and long term issues associated with and it's a whole new world for me.

Cue the gumjob jokes Peroni and Toodles...

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Mouthguard?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

After rattling an implant out in less than two years I now wear a guard on track. Other than confusing people by sounding funny talking before taking it off in the pits, I forget about it on track.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

$20 mouthguard beats $2000 dentist bill

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mouthguards are great for sure. As for the dentures I'd say out unless it's a pain in the ass to reseal then in with a guard.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's/early 80's a pretty decent British Championship rider died when he choked on his dentures following a crash. If I had them I would take them out.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

8. wheedle

9. wheedle

I'm pretty good with safety wire, but I spent about half of my senior year with my mouth wired shut... ain't doin that again.

10. wheedle

So, looks like toofless with a mouthguard is the way to go. Thanks gang.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I started wearing a mouth guard a few years ago and now I feel naked without it. Supposed to help with concussions too.