1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Motocycle Paint + Race Bodywork

Discussion in 'Other' started by D-Swens, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

Drew... Just so you know that I am really exciting to see the final results of my bodywork. You Rock dude!

BTW.... Don't put the helmet decals yet. I May be in for something else :D

2. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Yo Drew, U out there bro?..

3. Butters

Butters Well-Known Member

Drew I sent you an email. The bodywork is going out on Monday.

Thanks,
    John

4. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

I have some important status updates of news going on at the ASD Shop. I tried to keep things very quiet, and have been telling clients on a one-to-one basis as needed, but due to the extremely busy nature of this season, I figured these things were imporant enough to share, and this was one of the easiest ways to keep the race community informed:

In mid January I lost a close family member. This was a very difficult time for me naturally, as it would be for anybody.I was in the hospital night and day for about 2 weeks while things were touch and go, and then funeral arrangements and trying to get my mind right after the fact also took me away from work. Despite the greatest of intentions, that was a time in my life where work just had to be put on hold. Needless to say, that did get me a little behind, especially this time of year.

I am very greatful that all of my clients and the motorcycle community have been incredibly gracious in working with me and everyone has been very understanding. I needed some flexibility to keep on schedule, and a lot of people really stepped up big, and I cannot thank them enough. At this time, I am working harder than ever, very long hours, 7 days a week to catch back up to speed. The one thing that will never be sacraficed in this shop is quality and effort, and I think everything is about back up to speed and back to normal.

I think this season will yield some of my greatest work yet. I am definitely putting in the hours trying to push the envelope with design and execution right now. I have produced about 25 - 30 bikes so far that I havn't even had time to photograph, I've just got my nose to the grindstone still working.

To make matters even better, there was a small fire at the shop earlier this month, due to an equipment failure. It was a very small fire, which we were able to put out ourselves, but I did lose some equipment (paint, hoses, compressors, lighting, heater) which took a couple days to replace get back up and running at full speed, just what I needed. No motorcycle parts were damaged or affected at all, so that is great news . This event really shed some light and gave me the push I needed to take the next step, which I have been planning for some time. So...

The great news as a result of all this...

After about a year of looking, I am moving into a NEW PAINT SHOP in mid - late March. I am moving into a larger facility with a much larger, nicer paint booth. Pretty much everything is getting upgraded, from the paint booth, the filtration systems, the compressors, and fresh new top of the line Iwata spray guns and Micron airbrushes. The purpose of this transition is a continued improvement in both quality and efficiency. This will greatly improve turn around time and production capacity, as well as allowing me to spray and re-finish in a cleaner and safer envirnoment, producing a cleaner, smoother product. I will be keeping both facilities open together through March, so the transition will hopefully be completely seamless. I will operate at 100% capacity out of the existing shop until I am fully moved into the new space and operating at 100% there as well. If all goes as planned, I will not be kept out of the paint booth for more than 24 hours. I will be publishing the updated website and new address information within the next few weeks, but it is just down the street here in Richmond still.

I am very excited at the opportunity to hopefully provide a better AndrewSwensonDesign experience. Thank you all for the support, and I will be updating everything hopefully on a more regular basis now!

5. D-Swens

With all of the above being said, I think my communication did suffer through Jan/Feb here. I have been on the computer early and late, trying to play catch up on PM's and emails, as well as facebook messages, text message, and returning phone calls. Please keep in mind that I am in the paint booth for many hours each day, with rubber gloves and a respirator on, so I cannot always answer. If you leave me a detailed message of how and when to get back with you, I will make every effort to do that promptly. Please do not hesitate to call back though. From those who I have had the opportunity to talk to and exchange emails with, I do try to take a lot of time to thoroughly explain the process and give a lot of consideration to your specific project and ideas. This often results in longer calls and emails, so I try to limit those to when I actually have time to give you my full attention and focus.

I think I am about caught up, but if you have been trying to get ahold of me, please don't give up. The most important thing I want to convey is that each inquiry and communication is important to me, and if I took longer than you expected to get back to you, it is merely a reflection of how rediculously busy I am, and not a reflection of how seriously I take you or how interested I am in your project. I have no secretary, so after 12+ hours of physical work on a slow day, it does get tough to keep up with communication at the ideal pace. My apologies.

My personal cell phone is 804.869.8689. My email is [email protected]. I'll do my best, but if you are in need of really quick communication, please don't hesitate to call/email more than once and I'll do my best.

6. D-Swens

A few updates of some bike parts that went out recently...

This BMW kit is done in a snow white pearl, looks really cool in the sun! The Sharkskinz bodywork is so nice to work with on this bike!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. D-Swens

The owner supplied these decals, a few quick shots, but hopefully I'll have better ones when the bike is assembled:up:

[​IMG]

only problem is that there weren't enough bellypan stickers:D
    [​IMG]

8. D-Swens

An '08 R6 I finished up earlier this winter for Regg who was super cool to work with, thanks:up: The white is a prism pearl, and all pinstripes, windshield plates ect are all done in paint, under clear, silky smooth. Kruzel did a great job on the custom sponsor logos for this one:up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

PM Sent!

10. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

Andrew. You are not only one talented dude but also run a great business. I have nothing but good to say on how you have answered my questions, explained the process on what you were doing to my bodywork, and always kept me on the loop....except for an helmet???? LOL

The work you have done is amazing. I could post the pictures but kind of waiting for your permission or the Final touch??? haha

Thanks for the great work you do...

11. nochknstrps

nochknstrps Well-Known Member

+1

Andrew does awsome work and is grreat businessman. He keeps you up to date on his progress and is very honest about it. He isn't one of those guys that tells you one thing and does another or shoot you a low estimate on time and cost and go beyond it.

I know I will go to andrew for a professional paint job and send anyone I know his way. Plus his avatar ain't a bad sight either :up:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  12. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Hey Andrew! Trying to get a hold of you! Please PM me on here when you can. Left you an email, phone message and PM :) Thanks!

13. Boosted Josh

Boosted Josh Well-Known Member

Andrew, that is some excellent work!

I can't wait to see mine.

14. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

thanks for letting me make a house call last friday on my way down south man to drop off that section. :up:

Let me know on the move, definitely down to help out. Post up some sweetness of that tail when you get her shined up too.

15. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

I just want to chime in and show the work Drew did for my bike. I love it, and I highly recommend this dude!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. eagletangogreen

eagletangogreen Well-Known Member

Andrew does some sick work!

17. eagletangogreen

THANKS ANDREW!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  18. eagletangogreen