1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a 2021 RAM 350 with Cummins diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Nov 28, 2022.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a long time buddy that used that training on me when I suggested we get dinner. It was amusing how casually he blew it off.

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

2015 2500 here with the 68rfe. Owned since new. Deleted and tuned, but I still drive it like a truck, not a sports car. 130k miles. No issues.

cav115 and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Yep, a turbo swap will cost you 4 grand....That buys a lot of gas for that big ass naturally aspirated gas motor. My F350 6.7 turbo is in for its second turbo at 73,000 miles...true the first replacement turbo was bad from the start, still....

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've had a few remanufactured. 6.0 turbos were $500

Just got one back for a DT466 and with the actuator module was $1250

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think there are some folks in here that don't understand the fundamentals of diesel engines.

As a data point, I have a 2017 RAM 2500 with the hemi. We bought it new and it just went over 100k miles and we have had no significant issues. I would guess our total maintenance is less than $1000 including a set of brakes and a mirror my wife damaged.

One thing to remember if you are worried about the ride is that the 3/4 ton RAM has coil springs in the rear. It rides much better than the leaf springs in the 1 ton. I'm close to ordering a new 1 ton, but I will do the Kelderman or Carli suspension. Actually, I have been thinking about starting a truck camper thread.

cav115 and ducnut like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t know of any stock diesel pickups doing 1M miles, without significant overhauls of drivetrain components. The guys pulling campers sure aren’t doing it…not even close. And, they’re the only pickup owners doing that kind of mileage. Even Class 8 trucks need an inframe, by then.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s a shame, Deaver no longer sell leaf springs to the general public. Just their springs and a set of Bilsteins is a massive improvement. Unfortunately, buyers are stuck paying the “Carli Premium”, to get their springs, anymore. Deaver used to make the springs for Donahoe Racing/Icon, but, not sure if they still do.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The guy that delivers stacks of trailers for me has over 900K on a 2013 F250 6.7. Transfer case, injectors and lots of tires and oil. It's been deleted and programmed since 100K . It looks new and it's now his wife's daily.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think I heard some of the overland type upfitters can still get custom Deaver springs made. I'm especially interested in the Kelderman air ride. It gives a great ride loaded or empty and it has push button leveling that would be nice for a truck camper. It is stock on the Earthroamer. I got a quote for $12,500 installed.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Last RV puller I talked to said a Dodge will eat it’s rearend by 300K, trans by 250K, and need an engine by 600K. His thoughts were to avoid anything more than bumper-pull stuff, as 5th wheels just destroy trucks. He felt like the weight and aero drag of current 5ers is just too much.

Recently talked to an auto parts contractor running a Chevy U-Haul-type box truck with a 6.0L, at just over 300K. Hasn’t done anything but 3 rearends! I don’t see how, but, I know the tech who does all his maintenance.

I know CJC Offroad has worked with Dan over at Carli to get custom, overlanding springs done. But, not sure of another avenue, as the last time I looked at Deaver’s site it said they’re no longer selling direct.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Well, I am still on the fence here. So I am looking at a 2021 RAM 3500 with 60K+ miles on it. Regular output diesel, regular transmission, Big Horn package, dully. Guy is offering private sale for $51K, which is by a lot cheaper than anything I have seen around. I went to test drive a RAM 3500 Limited, and that f@cker was over $100K at the dealer. Hell no to that one.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If you want to PM me the Vin, I can look up Manhiems Market Report and see what they sell for @ auction. Depending on the level of trim that sounds like a good deal.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Appreciate it. Sending you a PM.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I sent it to you.

15. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If you guys plan to tow frequently or tow a lot of weight why not go with something like a Ram 5500? I don't know a lot about them but aren't they built a lot more heavy duty?

cav115 likes this.
  16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

More HD but (I believe) power is reduced and also insurance and licensing issues depending on where you live.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At that level, you’re better off to look at a Class 6 truck from Peterbilt and others.

18. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

I have a 2015 w about 125k on it. Only issue I’ve ever had was the turbo actuator, which after I bought a replacement, Ram offered compensation as part of a recall. My friend’s chebby of the same vintage has panels falling off, you can’t read the buttons on the radio, the knobs and switches have all rotted… I’m not brand loyal, I just bought the truck with the biggest discount… but so far I’m happy I missed out on the ford and Chevy of this vintage!!

19. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've had my 2015 Ram 2500 with the 68rfe since Jan of 2019 and it now has about 140K on it. I converted to Bluetooth emissions at about 80K and had the trans tuned with it (trans is still fully stock on a fully stock valve body). I don't beat the hell out of the truck, but I sure as hell don't baby it either.. I daily drive it on the highest tune, and tow on the 60hp tune. The trans tuning really made all of the difference. It doesn't do that stupid "flare" thing as much between shifts, and it locks up properly in 4th gear. As long as you're not cranking 40psi in 5-6th gear its usually not mad..

Only reason why I DD the highest tune is because it actually seems to get better fuel mileage when I'm "nice" to it on that tune.. I have had literally no issues besides replacing wheel bearings, u-joints, and other maintenance items. I bought a bare bone Tradesmen with the vinyl floor and all that jazz because I am a trash person/ball of grease.

OP, don't let the 68RFE scare you.. Almost everyone I PERSONALLY know who's had issue with the 68rfe has also put much bigger tires on their truck... That's what really does a number on them IMO.. The Cummins is also BY FAR the easiest engine bay to practice cuss words in.

I do plan on tossing in a billet valve body at some point, just for some added insurance. Other than that, I'll just toss maintenance stuff at it, and turn the engine brake on when its cold because it sounds like a 747 and that shit rules sometimes.

cav115 likes this.
  20. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have a 17 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi gas & 6-speed auto...
    Approaching 100k on milage here shortly.
    She pulls my 30' toy hauler fine.
    Only problem is she gulps 7mpg when pulling!!!
    I will be in the market for Ram 3500 Dually (Laramie) sometime in 2023...