1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Whiskey, eh

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Nov 16, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

What do you all think of Canadian whiskey? I don't know that I have ever really tried it, but I am thinking of expanding my horizons a little. I don't really like mixers, so either drink my drinks straight up, a little ice or mixed wih soda. I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes, so I am paying pretty close attention to my carbs, so I have even cut out tonic, so no more G&Ts for me. I have been enjoying rye and soda recently and like it a lot.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Not really a whiskey guy, but I was introduced to Skrewball peanut butter whiskey last year and its pretty tasty.

Once a Wanker.. and Yzasserina like this.
  3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I love bourbon. I've bought a couple bottles of Canadian whisky this summer and it isn't my cup of tea. I'm pretty sure my last bottle was $50-60 and it still tasted "cheap" to me.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Thanks for outing yourself...future opinions invalidated

E Reed, Once a Wanker.. and younglion like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yukon Jack with lime is ok once in a while, but can't hold a candle to good KY bourbon

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Is the bourbon you like sweet? That has been my problem with the couple I have tried.

I do like a variety of scotches, have you tried scotch @kenessex?

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

OMG! That is so good! It is ridiculous, and dangerous. So, I don’t care for whiskey/whisky how ever you want to spell it. The closest I get is armagnac. Anyway, @fastfreddie and I went to the Isle of Man a few years ago with one of his best pals and his wife. He’s a brown connoisseur, so he was thrilled to buy me a drink when we met up in Dublin. Didn’t care for it. The poor guy looked like I shot his dog when I noped it. Lol. The other one is PB&J whiskey by Skatterbrain. Flipping impossible to get in the tri-state area. I loathe you people in whatever states, MN for sure… nom.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I typically do not like sweeter things. Honestly, I'm not sure on the bourbons I like. I do like stronger bourbons though. Maybe that's why I said canadian whisky tasted cheap, if it's more syrupy/sweet.

I always assumed I'd like Scotch, but I haven't really taken a liking. I love strong flavors, I love smoked things, but I just don't care for Scotch.

9. kenessex

I do like Scotch, but have moved away from the real smokey ones. The Dalmore is very tasty if you can find it, but the price is going up. I used to get it for $25 and the last bottle I got is pushing $50.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'll go buy some and post about it, just for you. LOL.

Once a Wanker.. and Yzasserina like this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Octomore if you really want the smoke.
    I can only have about 2, and then it's too much.

Greg ZX6R likes this.
  12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Crown Royal "Northern Harvest" is great - it won best whiskey in the world a few years ago and is CRAZY cheap.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Bummer on being type 2.
    Congrats on realizing whiskey is the low carb drink.

Try some Pendleton, it's a nice smooth Canadian. If you want something a bit sweeter, their 1910 rye is award winning

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I liked that one. Crown royal is usually my go to, always have a bottle around whisky. 40 creek is another good one, as well as Gibson's finest I'll pick up every once in a while. I'm not a big connoisseur of anything really, so take my recommendations for what you paid for them. I've recycled a few bottles from those 3 over the years. Usually only drink whisky in the winter, beer in the summer, and never been a bourbon, or scotch guy. I like rye, although my tastes have changed over the years. Been on a big Gin kick the past few. Hated it when I was younger, love it now.

I'd recommend sortilege, but it's a maple whisky blend and you said you can't do sweet. It's damn good though for any of you other peeps that might like it. It's way better than crown royal maple.

15. kenessex

The Type II thing isn't really been much of a bother, the pills have gotten it really under control along with a low carb diet, which is better for us anyway. I really like to cook, so finding new recepis and ingredients has been fun. At 66 yeras old, my blood sugar is under 100 and my weight is what it was in high school, so I am not complaining.
    I also have always liked whiskey/scotch/ bourbon, so cutting out the beer and mixers hasn't hurt.
    Thanks for the Pendelton tip, it was on my short list to try.

16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Just like when I drank beer as a yout' I'd drink most anything, as long as it was beer. Then I discovered craft beers, and specifically IPA's.

When I began drinking more mixed drinks, first it was spiced Rum and grapefruit, until my daughter and Dr. both became concerned about my sugar intake. A friend I hung out with drank C.C. and water, and I picked that up for quite a while. Then I became edumucated about good whiskeys. Rye is my preference now. Trying different ones is entertaining, with my son in law and future s.i.l. assisting in this process.

17. Boman Forklift

If they make that PBJ wiskey and I can buy it out here, let me know and I will ship you and @fastfreddie a bottle.

The smokey stuff is what I like best. This is a bit pricey but I like it. https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/lagavulin-16-year/p/643750?&pid=cpc:Performance+Max+US+CALI+ENG+SPART::google::&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jeLN-HdxF4LuxBhi8h9BB36iBQv_h_Xy126ijMVuc4GUliEFswayOQaAq9vEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

A little less pricy and great too.

https://www.wine.com/product/laphro...V3waAiUSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#closePromoModal
    Yes I currently have a bottle of Dalmore that I think I paid between $40-70 for and it is good. That's great you could get it for only $25 at some point? I like the more smokey stuff a bit better, but my wife doesn't like how I smell after drinking the smokey stuff.

I think the reason I can spend $40-100 on a bottle of scotch and not think it is too much is because I used to drink more red wine and a good cab is at least 25-75, but it is gone after 4 glasses, whereas a good scotch can last a very long time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    cBJr likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

I googled Octomore and it was over $500. I can't spend that much. I'm too cheap.

I actually bought the most expensive bottle I've ever purchased, Johnny Walker blue, thinking we would open it for my daughters wedding and it didn't happen, so it is still at my house waiting for a special occasion. Talking to friends that have tried Johnny Walker Blue before, I actually think I will not like it as much as the Smokey stuff in the $50-80 range that I like.

Will have to try this one. Thanks!

younglion likes this.
  19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Sortilege is wicked good. For the most part, I hate Crown Royal. Gibbons Finest Rare, followed by Wisers Deluxe.
    Another good one is Spicebox, has a vanilla flavour.
    And some of the Canadian whiskey that you buy in the US sucks. They mix it differently in some cases.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Reggie Dunlop drank Canadian Club with water :)

969 and Dan Dubeau like this.