1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cam timing

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MXRACER70, Dec 29, 2008.

1. MXRACER70

MXRACER70 BUILD'N A RACE BIKE

where do i start? its a 06 r6 with je pistons, ape adjustible gears and timing tensioner, stock thickness head gasket, ported and polished head. like i said just looking for a starting point, how many degrees advanced or retarded
    thanks
    kyle

2. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

It shouldnt matter where thay end up, i would just get the PTV minimum,I know from experience that the JE offers a lot of room in the valve pocket area with that r6 piston so your L/C #'s could be extremely low unless you took a bunch off the head.

3. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

Stock cams, leave at 104/109. Races cams, will need your specs. What CR?

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Tim, he might not have the room at 104/109. The JE will help, but if they milled head to seats and then set squish up tight, 104/109 might be too tight but those are good numbers to start. MX i'd listen to tim, start at 104/109 and then check PTV...roll em back as you need to get your PTV...you wont notice much in 1-2 degrees, but you will REALLY notice if your PTV is even .010" too tight :D

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

how do you find out the PTV minimum?

6. ed who?

most us are stingy giving out. but on that bike in >.90 mm and ex >1.6 mm and you will be ok. granted not the tightest you can run ,but there are WAY too many variables to go into.

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

cool, I don't even have an R6 but am just trying to learn a bit. Other than the piston hitting the valve what other problems can clearance issues create?

8. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

valves hitting pistons. duh.

:D

9. johnnycycles

johnnycycles Active Member

If you read the guy's question that you just tried to answer, you will see that he asked what other problems besides piston to valve contact can occur. Sorry to say it like this buddy but you really need to read the question carefully before you try to make a fool out of someone, you might end up making yourself look like a fool in the process (which you just did). :tut:

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Could be that the duh and the smiley placed at the end meant that his comment was intended to be humorus. Perhaps by corrrecting it you could potentially just make yourself look like a dick.

Relax he was being a smart ass and ribbing the guy.

Just as I am doing to you now. Now that you know what it looks like try to recognize it in the future. :)

11. johnnycycles

damn, you got me!!! :clap:

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well done!

See we all learned something today.

13. Thug Life

Thug Life My name is Chris!

in .030-.040
    ex .060- .070

14. ed who?

Intake .030"? wow, pretty aggressive without knowing how the rest of his engine is setup, the type of rider, the track layout,etc not saying that cant work, but ooohhhhh thats pushing it for a novice/guy doing it himself. What if you run staggered VC on the intakes for some reason ;)

15. Thug Life

Thug Life My name is Chris!

I gave him the ranges I was taught.
    I've gone .030 on the intake, from R-6's to gsxr 1000's.
    With good results, 122-125 on 03 R-6's,
    194 on gsxrs with 88ft lbs of torque, gsxr.
    all still running this day!

"Novice guys" as you called him, think, since they get advice off the net, can buy a degree wheel, they can build a motor, so let them find out for themselves. Guess you have to learn somewhere!

.90mm = .035
    1.6mm = .062

You're site is sweet, so is your girl, but where are your Wss builds/Teams at on your site, i can't find them.
    That's the shit that interests me :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  16. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Chill dude. He said what else beside piston hitting valve, I made a joke and said valve hitting piston, see how I did that there? I was just to giving the guy a little trouble. He has Ed answering his questions, so as long as he listens he is already covered.

17. johnnycycles

I am chill, lol I realized this already. :beer:

18. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I've been running down to .055" on the exhaust without any problems, no evidence of any touching, or even getting close really. Kit cams/stock springs/stock redline.

19. ed who?

No your right, like i said, you can go much tighter (i have many tighter than .030") however there are SO many aspects left out...like CBR916..are you measuring PTV when engine/block is cold? Or up to full temp? makes a HUGE difference...i mean we could go on and on. I was just throwing up some very conservative numbers for a guy doing himself. your right thou, many can go tighter PTV.

As for "wheres my WSS bikes" well last time i checked Tim is about 8 blocks from WSS venues and im about ohhh 6,000+ miles. We invite those WSS ladies every year but every year they go "no way, those edr/kws/mastu/m4/etc guys are too fast..we dont want to go to america..send the superbike only" :crackup::crackup: jk.

our little supersport ZX6's ran in AMA last year by Hurst and Galster were always in the Top 15 for trap speeds out of 40+ riders thou...and i liked seeing that :)

Last time i brought a EDR built GSXR1000 to the WERA nationals in 2003 we won the 1000 Cup race by OVER 9 secs.(and that was with more than .030" PTV on the intake..lol)..and got 2nd and 3rd in the 750 race by less than .1 secs to future factory rider Attard..so i think my bikes go "ok fast" but then again, those WSS bikes are fxxking FAST. I would love to have their budgets on just ONE bike and have 10+ engines to rotate out daily..mmmm...that would be awesome!

like i said, your right. I was just throwing up conservative numbers for a what i thought was a first timer.. its all good.. COLD:beer: for new years!

20. johnnycycles