1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butter in your coffee?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Folgers is my go to for cheap, baby. Most of the time it's Peets or once in a great while and it's on sale, Starsmucks.

I was bored the other night and was looking at and trying to justify a $4000 plus coffee maker. :D

2. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

4 g's? does it come with a set of lips?

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Time to let off some pressure
    Time to let off some steam
    All your notebooks get thrown away
    And you start your diary clean
    Crystal glass lined up in a row
    Watched over by the G.I. Joes
    Butter in your coffee doesn't taste quite right
    Feeling the effects for a hundred thousand nights

Call me Husker Dave. :D

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Or you could save $3970 and buy an Aeropress.

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How is it that you 3 whackjobs are the only ones I agree with in this thread...:D

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, I had no idea on what I was looking at or how it gets through tech without a shit load of safety wiring and work but it was cool looking and I had a "special deal" for 40% off. I like deeply discounted but free is better. :D

daveknievel likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

the beard went off for no-shave movember, while everyone else is growing one. max top hair length (for the lack of consistency up there) is 1/8".
    i don't have sandals.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

He's lying. He does.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

sandals resorts maybe but not the ones to put on feets. however, here's the coffee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

umm, and yes, the wife shops at Trader Joe's

11. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So I spoke with my wife about the theories behind butter and coconut oil.
    The grass fed butter his high in two things, vitamin K2 and butyrate. Vitamin K2 modifies proteins so that they bind to calcium which prevents calcification in blood vessels. Grass fed butter is one of the highest dietary sources of vitamin K2. The Rotterdam study showed a 57% reduction in risk of heart disease in those with the highest K2 intake. Butyrate on the other hand, works to reduce inflammation. Inflammation in the blood vessels leads to plaque formation which is the basis for ischemia.

As for coconut oil (and saturated fat) it appears that the saturated fat changes the type of LDL from small dense particles to large fluffy particles. The small dense particles are what sticks to vessels creating plaque. Saturated fats increase both HDL and LDL and it appears the intake of saturated fat increases the good cholesterol and changes the bad cholesterol into a better form reducing cardiac risk. Triglycerides are raised in low fat high carb diets. The other standout thing is that coconut oil is low in Omega 6 fatty acids which has shown an increased cardiac risk.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No surprise there. Your tastes always seem to fall to the bottom. Where is Orvis to chime in on Folgers as "scientically proven" best? That was a riot.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Todays Eight O'Clock hazelnut k-cups are okay but too weak when made with enough water to make an actual cup of coffee. I did find my refillable k-cup at the house last weekend so I'll be experimenting later on to find something that makes an acceptable cup of coffee. Need to by some espresso and probably a can of Bustelo...

14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Just get yourself a French press. We swapped about a year ago, wife bought a hot water boiler that keeps water hot all the time. Wake up, put in coffee, steep for four minutes and you get a great cup of coffee.

crashman and TurboBlew like this.
  15. dsapsis

As I've reported previously, the way to get Bustelo cheap is to order by the case direct from Java Cabana when they run their free shipping deals. Vacu-PAC lasts a good long time in the larder.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been doing beans lately and Bustelo is more than the boss likes but I may stockpile some just because. :D

17. dsapsis

A
    And I'm already 2 minutes ahead of you with an Aeropress (and less cafestol). Pretty indestructible too.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you think the beans are good, wait till you try it with hot water. You're in for a treat.

crashman, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

LOL.
    I use Black and Bitter, like i likes my women.

Or Tan, Bitter and cold as ice, like i like my women.

As for butter and oil in coffee.

[​IMG]