1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new truck

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Dec 7, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I still have my 96 Exploder tagged, for those few times a year I need to move stuff or possibly pull a trailer. Abot 500K on it.

I keep the battery charged, and it starts right up every time I need it to.

Tank stays full with a bit of Stabil and the oil gets changed at least every two years.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Jealous...my wheels were stock and definitely needed an upgrade. What do think of pulling or hauling with the 4 steer with trailer option? I also had air ride.

3. Used2befast

Whoa thats a lot of hp for a 5.3:bow:

Ummm...I believe with 500+ hp applications your gonna need to swap the tq converter and updated clutch/flex plate.

4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m just relieved to see that there are other folks on here that have average, older vehicles like myself. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one here that doesn’t own $200k Porsches and $100k pickups.

I don’t feel so bad about the state of my life now, lol!

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

2012 nissan for me 160k miles

6. Well shit. I didn’t even think about that. Those things are up and down the road 24/7.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Circle D billet triple. It’s done right.

8. You guys with 300k-400k and even more miles should try to get some sponsorships. Seriously.

Like if you’ve always used Mobile-1 oil you can tell them and maybe let them use your vehicle in an advertisement or some shit.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dude. 3-400k miles isn’t all that unusual. I’ve got over 300 on one of mine and nearly 300 on another.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. Used2befast

I'd call Texas speed and performance...ask if there are any TCM tips/tricks or guru's

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve found him a guy in STL (Dave at DSX Tuning) who’s really good with integration.

Above ~400rwhp, the TCM keeps screwing with the timing and fueling of whichever fuel mgmt (OEM or Holley) is being used. There’s enough power in components for 1K rwhp. I suspect, he’ll have to swap in a 4L80, put it back on Holley, then, integrate the BCM into the Holley. Some stuff, like Nissans, have plug-and-play BCM solutions for integration, but, not this GM truck.

It’s been a really frustrating deal with his truck being stuck in tuner jail, for over a year. He just wants to get through the winter, drive it some more, and revisit things, in the spring.

I simply don’t have the downtime to help him more, with me trucking. It’s unfortunate, as I’m pretty good with schematics. I chose most everything to get him this far. Then, he’s done the fab/install work. I feel like I need to help get this thing straightened out, now, I’ve moved back home.

12. Then how much is too much?

Say you found the exact vehicle you wanted. Color, wheels, all the options, everything you want and all things considered it is a good deal. But the guy selling it says it has high mileage.

What mileage would make you say “Nah, it’s on its last leg”.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If parts are available and the value is there, nothing.

Of course I’m talking spending $5-10k, not 20x that.

14. Wellillbedamned. This is interesting.

So even if it had 500k miles? 750k?

What is the rating on the hard parts? Not talking about batteries, alternators, shit like that. I mean shit like Pistons, ConRods, etc. Are they indestructible? Can they theoretically last forever?

I slung a rod through the block of an Escalade (6.2L gas V8) with only 20-something k on it. IIRC it had 27k on it. They had to crate a whole new motor from Detroit.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the body is solid, everything else is a bolt on part.

And I’ve bolted them on. Quite a few of them.

I actually enjoy doing that kind of crap, and I always have at least two vehicles capable of dragging the kids around and two vehicles capable of working out of. Takes the pressure off having to have any specific vehicle running.

tl1098 and Gorilla George like this.
  16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

You also need to know what to stay away from. Like cvt's and such.

17. That actually sounds fun. I can see the appeal/enjoyment out of looking around and finding a truck that others have given up on. One that is currently in bad shape, but seeing the potential that is there.

Then fixing it up and making it nice and having something to be proud of.

I get that. That is pretty cool.

When I was 16 (summer before I turned 17) I woke up at 5am and picked tomatoes at a farm down the road from 6-11, then was a lifeguard from 12-5, then went home and mowed yards till dark. I did that all summer till I had enough to buy a car.

Not gonna lie, it was a piece of shit. But it was mine. Even though the paint was old and faded, I kept it super clean. Looking back on it, I was as proud of that car as I have been of any vehicle since, including my current one.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you think picking up old "scrap" cars and getting them running is fun you need to check out Vice Grip Garage on Youtube. Dude is amazing at getting a car sitting in a field for 10-20yrs (like literally sitting in a field/woods/etc) running and driving it hundreds of miles home. Very entertaining fella.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I used to haul a car trailer with my Toyota off-road rig a few times a year, and Ive hauled a 24ft enclosed trailer full of race bikes a few times. Otherwise its mainly pulling a boat or a small camper. I love towing with that thing. I hope that I never have to own a pickup that doesn’t have 4-wheel steering. Backing a trailer with rear-steer is stupid easy, you can back up so much faster without the trailer wanting to jackknife. Lately Ive been contemplating adding some airbags in the rear. Quite often I use a hitch carrier to haul a motorcycle, and the box is loaded up with equipment, and it squats a bit. It still handles fine, and I have no complaints, I just think that it would be better with bags.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Look into the Airlift 2000# system with auto ride-height setup. I have it on my Silverado and it’s a game changer. No matter what, my truck rides level and more comfortably, under load.

WillMill likes this.