1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackstone style grill + natural gas conversion kit

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My wife loves her new patio, and spends a ton of time with her gravity feed smoker. (Masterbuilt)

Her birthday is this weekend, so I thought I'd get her something like a Blackstone to compliment it.

We have a natural gas line for the grill, which was converted with a $50 kit from Charbroil. Makes it much easier than using propane cans.

I'm told that there are "knockoffs" at Sams, Costco, etc that are far more desirable than Blackstone. I do fear that most of them may not have the natural gas option.

Anyone have any experience? With the smoker she got entry level to see if she loved it, and will likely upgrade if she does. I figured I'd go the same route with this

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I've heard they don't like wind of any kind.

3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I just started looking into these. The Camp Chef seems to get good reviews. I be like some of the features of the Traeger but I don’t know that they’re worth the premium.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Weber just came out with a Blackstone style grill, I'm sure the nat gas one isn't far away

That being said, just buy the porcelain enameled cast iron grates for normal grill and then you have both worlds without all the shit in your way

I live where there's a lot of wind and my 3 burner genesis Weber blows out probably 1x a month, so be careful what you do. Half flat and half grates works perfectly for us

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Jeezus did I miss something obvious? Also this is is a cast grate? Why the hell would anyone get a second device then?

like just add this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lodge-D...Reversible-Stovetop-Griddle-LDPSTOT/320976308

6. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Yeah, just add that. Oh, and don't forget a really good birthday present, a chunk of cast iron may not cut it.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Correct. Try your manufacturer website for a direct fit so it's not moving around.

My Weber is half flat top, half grates. DM me your cell # and I'll send u a photo. I'm on an island, so plenty of wind here.

We did stainless on my dad's grill but doesn't sear anywhere even close to the same.

No need to be the guy with 3 grills in the yard. Even the small smoker boxes work just fine unless you're doing 13hr brisket competitions weekly

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Lol. I figured a spa certificate had better accompany this!

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

DM sent. Cause even with the patio extension it’s cramped. That smoker is huge! It’s also very windy in OKC.
    But, I don’t see one for my grill? Will have to be a generic one?

https://www.charbroil.com/commercial-series-amplifire-2-burner-gas-grill-463644220

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

11. Size9

Size9 Well-Known Member

12. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

You can never have enough grills. I have a recteq smoker, Weber gas grill , Weber kettle and a blackstone. I literally will have 2 of the 4 grills goin at once. Sometimes 3 of the 4.

Phl218, GixxerJohn011 and pjzocc like this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think the only " conversion " between propane and natural gas is changing the tip / jet size.

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

How about cast iron vs carbon steel?

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Definitely helps when you have a ton of food at different temps. Almost everything for Thanksgiving gets cooked outside. In Texas Thanksgiving can still be shorts and t-shirt weather so that’s a big plus with a bunch of extra people already in the house.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  16. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

True, and if I had a little bit more real estate, I would probably do the same. But, my wife likes the simplistic approach. Plus there are other things that will take up space in our road map.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

No shit- what's wrong with these people??? They probably also think it's possible to have too many tools, guns, or motorcycles.

WANABE RACER, cpettit and Razr like this.
  18. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Having worked in a commercial kitchen with a flat-top, I like having the blackstone because its big. I can make breakfast on my deck for 10+ people at a time, all together, with separate breakfast orders, and everyone gets to eat hot food together. You can make all of the breakfast items at the same time. I also use it for making lots of burgers at one time which I can put on all sorts of different style toppings without dropping food into the grill like you would on a grate. Then there is also room to toast the buns at the same time.

Razr likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

propane has a >2x the BTU than nat. gas, depending on how many burners you have, you might not reach temperatures (as fast) as you are hoping for.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the best thing about them IMO. I really love the idea of having different zones to work with. There's only the two of us at my house, but I pretty much only have looked at the 4 burners because I want the flexibility.

cpettit and WillMill like this.