1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best kids bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Looking for learner bike for my five year old son. Pw50 and crf 50s are the obvious choice but looking for some feedback from the parents who have gone before me. My son is five and a decent sized kid. Looking for a good option that he can learn on without out growing overnight. What have you guys started your kids on and how long did they stay on it? What would you change if you were to do it over?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

CRF50 hands down. We have kids as old as 10 racing them on kart tracks here in Alberta.

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

CRF50 easy. The aftermarket for them is HUGE. In stock form they're flat out bullet proof. I bought my sons in '06 and it starts first time, every time. I think I've changed the oil twice.

4. backcountryme

And on the plus side you will have a bike that you can bust your ass on as well.

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Tore my ACL on my 50 a few days after getting it!:down:

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

He won't outgrow it overnight, but don't be at all shocked if you're looking to move up by the end of the summer if you guys put in a decent amount of seat time.

In four years my brothers kids went from crf 50's, to ktm 50 sr pro's, to 65's.

Count your blessings, he has to buy two at a time! :D

7. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

If it is only for backyard riding, the CRF is choice. If you have anywhere else to ride: MX or trails, go with a KTM Mini Adventure. They are a bit more maintenance than the CRF, but not the PITA that the water cooled KTM 50's are. The suspension and handling of the ktm's are light years better than the wooden CRF.

If you end up w/ a CRF, start him in 2nd gear and don't even mention shifting, you can add that later.

Good times!

Pete

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

First bike? CRF50 hands down. They are bulletproof. Buy a good used one and you will get every penny back when he moves up and you sell it.

9. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

:stupid:

10. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

at age 5 and a big kid he is prob way to big for a pw50, crf50's fit bigger kids better. Personally i would get him a ttr50 though, i am lazy and it has ele start.

11. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

If he's almost big enough for a CRF70 go for it. He'll outgrow the 50 fast. Trust me.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If he's only 5 years old, a CRF50 will last him a few years. You can probably sell it for what you paid for it, unless you buy a new one.

13. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

If it is only for backyard riding, the CRF is choice. If you have anywhere else to ride: MX or trails, go with a KTM Mini Adventure. They are a bit more maintenance than the CRF, but not the PITA that the water cooled KTM 50's are. The suspension and handling of the ktm's are light years better than the wooden CRF.

If you end up w/ a CRF, start him in 2nd gear and don't even mention shifting, you can add that later.

Good times!

Pete

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

my youngest daughter started out on a ttr90 at 6yo. it was big enough for her to sit on front with me while she held the controls with me.after 3ish months she did it by herself,and really moves on the thing now.she will be 9 in april.the ttr was a little big for her at first but it was a freebie,so we went with it.i would have preferred something smaller but she handled it fine,and its lasted 3 years without her outgrowing it,plus still big enough for us to share(pitbike)

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Crf 70 for us because my son is pretty tall. Best machine I've ever owned.

16. backcountryme

The only real problem with the crf50 is after your son outgrows it you will spen a million dollars buyin gupgrade parts so that you have a bad ass pit bike to play on. Ha

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I ordered a 90cc Chinese motor off Ebay. Within one hour of delivery, I had installed the motor and run my kid's bike under the front bumper of my truck. It was one of my finest moments.

18. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Welcome to the club..... we are many in number..... I almost landed on TOP of a cop car on my Pitster Pro...... The cop was leaned up against his car as I missed the top of his trunk lid by inches..... Good thing I knew the guy.... Minis tend to bring out the stupid in me..... :crackup:

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I was lucky, my riding bud had a Suzuki JR50 and a Honda XR/CRF50 in storage so my kids had access to both. He rode the JR50 at 5 and 6 and pretty much rode the Honda exclusively after turning 7. I wouldn't just go by his physical size, only you know if he's mature enough to handle the additional gears on the Honda vs something like the JR50.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm in the 'buy him a good used XR/CRF 50' camp. It will cost you next to nothing to own, seriously, if you do sell it when he's ready to move up. The confidence of 'mastering' a bike, & being ready to move up is huge, imho.

The XR/CRF beginner bikes are superb, and in my experience, net cost of owning (& I did 5 of them,) averaged under $100.00 per bike, including the 70 I bought brand new.