1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batteries for Diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Mar 13, 2022.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What batteries are you all using for your 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels?

Mine took a dump in this last cold snap.

I’m looking at the AC Delco AMG Gold, but open to other possibilities - these damn things are pricey and I’d prefer some real world input.

NOTE - not sure it matters but this ‘05 GMC Duramax 3/4 ton.

tks
    M

2. 418

418 Expert #59

There was a thread on here about batteries. Somebody made a point as to there is only like 3 battery manufacturers in the world, everything else is just rebranded stuff.

I realize I have been of no help but might wanna do a search.

RRP likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Matt has it dead nuts right.

Battery prices have gone up 50% since the Wu-Flu, and some batteries are hard to impossible to find.

IMHO, quality has improved over the last few years, seeing a lot fewer batteries come in for warranty replacement. I don’t expect that trend to continue, with pricing pressures and supply constraints quality will very likely suffer.

418 likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Delco, Balcamp, Johnson

I don’t remember the three anymore, I think Interstate was still trying to make their own....

Rant on:

so awhile ago... we hade so many vehicles... had recently replaced the Superduty’s batteries with another set of Fomoco as the first pair went nearly 10 years and a bad alternator may have finished them off...

Then I bought the semi... it had the tractor batteries, house/lounge batteries, the back up lift gate batteries, and the 12k watt Onan genset battery... that battery was a Napa and it always started the generator... it was 12 years old!

so before the season started we put new Napa batteries in everything, all semi batteries, all diesel pusher RV batteries, house and chassis... my cost was just under $1500! For plastic/lead and acid!

I figured I didn’t want any issues... all new, best they had, commercial/industrial which have a lower warranty which is really stupid, but the 12 year old Napa genset batt told me I was once and done changing them.

those junk ass batteries started failing before 6 months were even up, luckily as the warranty was only 6 months on some. I think they were Balkamp(sp)

big failures too, plates in the RV chassis batteries shorted out, caught fire but luckily melted the bottom out and dripped itself out. House batteries junk, wouldn’t hold charge. Back up lift gate deep cell, never had a charge, and the semi chassis 24v system had a terminal terminate itself.

I of course made my local Napa refund the purchase after getting their regional rep involved. It was clearly a manufacturing issue but it was inexcusable. I went with a mix of different brands and manufacturers but never found a great manufacturer again. I chalked it up across the board lower threshold of quality. This hypothesis came about as the Fomoco Replacement batteries in the Superduty only lasted about 5 years the second time compared to the 10 years for the originals.

So, get the best you can with the best warranty and get them replaced right before the warranty runs out, because they are built to fail and that part they seem to have down pat!

rant off...:dead::mad:

goood luck!:D

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I get mine from Sams club. Cheaper than anywhere else and work fine. They will tell you to replace both, but if only one is bad, replacing one will be fine.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Group 65 $119

G Dawg likes this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I use the Walmart ones with the longest warranty. You can return them anywhere in the country easily and I have a couple of times due to my own negligence (leaving my lights on etc) and they replaced it with a new one.

RRP and ducnut like this.
  8. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Was always an Interstate fan for decades until I found they don't seem to last as well. My diesel mechanic recommended Motorcraft now.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not for a diesel but I put another interstate in my Mazda. Something like $60 cheaper then other brands and the last one worked well enough that I never thought about it until I had to replace it.

10. Critter

Critter Registered

Whatever you can actually buy at the store right now...

11. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

12. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I've got an 05 Duramax as well and I put the Wal-Mart NeverStarts in it because of the reason mentioned above. Easily exchanged across the country and not a big upfront cost when you replace them both.

RRP likes this.
  13. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Had a couple of Motorcraft ToughMAX BXT65-850 last 8 years in the F350, bought two more to replace

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

'02 F350 348,000 NAPA batteries..about 5-6yrs I replace them.

RRP likes this.
  15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I paid $99 each for 2 interstate batteries (850cca) at Costco a few months ago. They spin my 6.uhoh over nicely.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My '13 F350 DD still has the originals from Ford. It's always in the unheated barn but I do keep it on the battery tender during the winter. Figured that when these go bad I'll get the fords again...

17. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Costco batteries lasted me 5 years exactly to the month both sets ive got from there. This last November i went with Odyssey AGM. Only because im tired of cleaning the terminals of corrosion, perfect timing and for the price (free). Mechanic at work pulled them off a truck that was getting an engine replacement, they were one month old.

18. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Make sure you replace them both at the same time, if you have dual batteries. If not, you'll get into a cycle of replacing one every year or so. The new one and the old one do not play nice with each other.

RRP and 418 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wal Mart is my go to as well.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My 06 E450 based RV had the factory Motorcraft battery in it till last year. Had a weak start after sitting for a month, decided to replace it.