1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

April 21st Motorcycle Xcitement with Roger Lyle

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by 42K8, Apr 3, 2009.

1. k6sinfiddy

k6sinfiddy Well-Known Member

Actually it wasnt bad at all. Unfortunately it did end up raining at 3pm or so. Then poured w/ hail 20min later then stopped within 10-15mins and sun came back out hahaha it was crazy for that moment.
    Otherwise still a good trackday in my book, got to tune new WP suspension :bow: from GPmotoservices.net "sponsored plug" :up:!

2. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

As usual, the weatherman screwed everybody who was foolish enough to pay attention to him. I wonder if anybody would pay attention to me if I was wrong every other day for my whole career?

The day started good and got better. At around 3 PM a thundershower rolled through, rained like hell for about twenty mnutes. It stopped, the sun came back out and in an hour the track was totally dry again.

We had the Race School mock race as it began to rain, and the track was fine, even in the wet. I was indoors administering the School test when it was raining hard (good timing, that...) and after the school was finished I packed up because I had been up since 3 AM and was just too tired to be safe out there.

Great day, loads of great folks as always at Roger's events.

3. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

You made the right decision. The first session the track was still really wet. We got started late so only got in 2 sessions (really one) before lunch. It poured and hailed after 2 sessions in the afternoon. So we got in 3 total sessions...bummer.

I was disappointed again with the structure of Lyles day. The race class was in the Advanced group and were clogging up the track. I don't know why they don't run it in Intermediate if they're going to putt-putt around in a line of 6 students.

It's the same song unfortunately over there. Still running 4 groups...once we even had a checkered after 4 laps. You needed no proof to be in advanced or racer group. (which was supposed to be the new rule) There were guys running 20 secs off the pace in Advanced and made for some dangerous situations. After the short day my buddy said to me he's done with Lyle days...and i hate to say it but I prolly am too.

4. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

not trying to start anything here - i'm just curious. 20 seconds off what pace? what do you consider the advanced pace to be? you don't have to say, but what were your times?

5. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Hey Bobby,

I wasn't trying to say I am fast...I was just giving an example. It could have been me 20 secs off the "pace". Anybody can run wherever they want at whatever pace/line they want and it can be a dangerous mess out there.

But to give you an idea, Nesba Advanced is probably 22 and under (plus smooth consistent lines), and TPM is probably 26 and under. (just guessing)

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

There are some people in NESBA Advance that are running 30's... just ask Bobby about his drive out of T3 last year...

Here's the deal... ALL riders are going to be required to have numbers on their bike going forward. This will allow other riders on the track to spot and report problems and allow CR's and corner workers to identify the correct people.

7. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i'm not trying to call you out at all. i'm just trying to understand what's going on at these days and what everybody's perception is.

i've ridden with nesba and tpm. i will say that nesba is a bit faster, but 22 and under is a little optimistic. if i had to guess, nesba's A group is probably an average of 25. yes, there are guys in the A group doing over 25, and in isolated cases WELL over 25. i know this for a fact. at the same time, there are riders doing under 20s. i would agree that average is a little higher with TPM. STT advanced is all over the place (not knocking them, just stating an observation).

having said that, 20 seconds off this pace, if it's true, would be dangerous, especially if you couple that with erratic lines. a couple of others and i have been pushing for more stringent control in roger's advanced group. roger is making efforts to get this in order, but it'll take a couple of events to get it all sorted out. wishful thinking, i know, but it would also be nice if riders could be honest with themselves when assessing their own ability. going forward, expect to see riders getting pulled off the track if they're riding in a group they don't belong in.

i'll be there on june 4th. if you and your buddies decide to give it another shot, look me up and i'll be happy to help you out in any way i can.

8. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i wasn't gonna go there :D. but that was an isolated incident.

9. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

I was there Tuesday running in the race group. I was required to show my CCS license, and it was on the paperwork at registration to fill in your license info. Other than having a rain shortened afternoon, I thought the day went better than in the past. The race group also has riders that vary wildly as far as pace goes, this is not Rogers problem, a race license does not equate to fast. You may have an expert on a litre bike out there with a novice on a SV650.

I will do another day with Roger, our group only had probably 15-20 riders out there, I barely saw anyone other than the 5 or six bikes I left pit-out with.

I think one problem they need to address is picking up riders on a red flag, I don't think anyone is assigned to crash truck duty and this slows things down?

10. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Has there been any talk about reducing the groups to 3? With a more strict (not that there is any yet) guideline for getting into Advanced? 4 groups turn away a lot of people...assuming everything is running perfectly on time you're only getting about 12 mins of track time after gridding up. If its not running on time you get less.

You want to ride in Advanced then bring your proof that you're in Advanced with another org. Or get a CR to evaluate you. Or start your own Advanced group and evaluate everybody that wants to get in.

I bet that race class was close to 20 secs off pace. And there was a line of them so you had to hot pit or pick your way through. Hot pitting with 10 mins of track time is wasting a lot of time also.

I'm really trying to help out. I like ALL of the people I've met at Roger's days. I think 3 groups and tightening the reigns a little will make a huge difference. If it was even close to a full paddock on Tuesday it would have been a mess.

Stinson I'm not just talking about pace...but even more so holding consistent lines, safe riding etc. should be evaluated. I didn't have to show anything for Advanced. And half the guys I was pitting with went out in the racer group even though they were in the Advanced group.

11. RubberChicken

Would you care to name names?

Roger certainly made it clear enough that jumping groups was not allowed. If you are pitting with guys who have total disregard for the rules, yet you are unwilling to report that suituation when something can actually be done about it, why are you on here complaining? Tell Roger WHO was riding in a group other than the one that they were registered to ride. If you saw it, report it.

It is a basic assumption that honest, responsible adults will attend each event. If that is not the case, there is no set of rules that can possibly change the bahavior of the flagrant violators. We're control riders, not cops.

12. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Tom, Tom, Tom.... [​IMG]

I was giving my feedback along with possible solutions to make a more enjoyable/safer day. If you want to read complaining then search some other forums about a RL day.

I could continue on but I didn't post up to get into a pissing contest with everyone who works at RL days. I posted up to share why you're losing customers. Take it for what you want.

Not sure that's a good assumption.

13. k6sinfiddy

k6sinfiddy Well-Known Member

Personally i think it`s still running a lil off as far as groups go. I think there should be only 3 groups with more stringent rules. I was running in the racer group and there was several people there that should not be in there. Just because they have a race lic that does not mean they are on pace with most of the group. Like all of you have stated, the pace varies greatly.
    Also whats up with the rules in race group now? whats the point of having a racer group that has the same rules as advanced? Like the whole no passing on the inside crap...
    I totally understand no one is there to win a trackday and all, so dont use that excuse please lol. It should be what its stated to be, racer practice! But hey what do i know IMHO.

14. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

i think with three groups it will be a little packed, i would rather ride a little less and be able to go at my own pace than have a packed class, especially when everyone is complaining about people being 20 seconds off? I wasnt there for the last track day, but fr the no passing on the inside goes safety is # 1 and Roger is looking out for everyone and trying to please everyone. If canolli TRIES to pass me on the inside and takes us causing the track to be closed down for an hour that ruins everyones day.
    Just give suggestings to Roger and the CR's they are trying to make sure everyone has a fun and safe track day experience.

15. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

ok, so it was the class that was 20 seconds off the pace? if so, that makes sense. you implied that there were advanced riders, not students, that were off the pace. although i recognize that this may have been an issue, honestly, if the class was holding you up and you had to hot pit, maybe you shouldn't be riding in advanced. aside from the danger involved in closing speeds, getting by even a group of riders 20 seconds off your pace should be easy. i'm not taking a jab at you - correct me if what i'm describing is inaccurate. and like i said, i'm not denying that there might have been an issue. i just don't think it should have caused you to miss track time.

your comments are appreciated. however, although you say you're trying to help, if you look at your previous posts it sounds like you're bashing. your friends that are jumping groups are contributing to the problem. yet instead of saying something then, you waited until after the event and seemingly bashed the organization. that doesn't really help anybody. my offer to help you out still stands, but i hope that if you ever make it out to another one of roger's days, that you approach it with a different mindset.

16. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I guess we're continuing this thread. Thanks for your honesty Bobby, not taking a jab at me, not calling me out...etc. :Poke: How do you want me to respond? My times? What level I'm in with other orgs? How many track days I've done? It's not just about me...

Yes there were Advanced riders that were dangerously off pace as well.

:up:

I will give it to you that my comments seemed harsh. It was my opinion of how the day went. But if you want to debate it then I'll defend what I said.

Didn't know them.

I replied to a post on the forum. Would it have made a difference if I said something then? You already knew the issues going into this year and nothing changed except the stickers.

It might, if something is done.

I would def take you up on the offer to help me out...

17. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i don't think i ever "debated" anything with you, and believe it or not, i really wasn't taking any jabs at you. as far as this comment goes, yes, it would have made a difference, and yes, there are changes being made. at this point i think we can leave it at that.

come out on june 4th, look me up, and i'll see to it personally that you have a great day. if you want to do the may 20th day, there are others that will take care of you. hope to see you there :up:

18. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Was planning to do few RL Days this year, after reading this I'm not so sure. Nesba is a little too regimented for my taste, but is well-run and consistent.

I hate to hear all the negative comments, I really wanted to try him out.

19. RubberChicken

That is exactly what they want you to think. Some of the guys planting negative comments on various bbs's are really control riders of other track day organizations trying to steer riders to their organizations.

Look and read carefully. There are about three people saying bad stuff. It is always the same few guys.

Come on out and try a day with Roger, if you want to do that. Make up your own mind.

Disclaimer: I teach and work for Roger Lyle. I also ride with other organizations. Any track day is what you make of it, and your safety is your responsibility. Some track day groups put an unhealthy emphasis on low lap times, and people get hurt in those events. I have to go back to work after a track day, so I do not ride at my limit. I save that for race weekends.

20. cbr900cycle

cbr900cycle Well-Known Member

Come on out, if you like nesba you will love Motorcycle Xcitment. You will always have one person that is faster, better, safer, more smarter, better looking, ama superstar, born in race leather, has the best bike ever made, top gun rider in all organization. (I think that we found that guy) You have loads of track time for a great price. Everybody has there own opinion, just make it up for yourself. I wish everybody would just quit the bickering about the dumb crap. If you are good and safe you will find your way around people. The track is for everybody (fast or slow), have fun and enjoy it, pick your moves, get around them and mark it on your belt that you are a ama superstar and you just picked another carrot and talk about it in the paddock how you looked like Ben Spies going around the guy on the pink and purple SV650. We all love to hear them types of stories. Just come out and make up your own mine.