Anyone ever do a warranty claim on new car tires to the manuf?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 11, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My wife's car.... MBZ C300 Coupe... the Continental 4 season tires on the front are absolute toast after 22k miles from new. The outer edges on both sides are way past the wear bars, nearly to the cords. Its not an alignment issue, like she hit a curb or something. Its the factory camber/toe setting.

Should I bitch to the dealer or just suck it up and spend $500ish on 2 new tires?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. sdg

sdg *

Buy tires.

3. sdg

sdg *

I'm told I don't explain enough. Your quest is pointless and will be fruitless. My personal opinion is that oem tires are shit... Well, except one set 20 years ago. Michelin.

Might be the same mold, but it is not the same rubber. Prove me wrong and shit.

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

You might be able to bitch about the alignment but probably well past that being covered if it's out. Most will only cover in the first 12K miles. And I've never seen an OEM cover tire warranty, there is generally a document with the owners manual from the tire manufacturer and they point you to them.

BigBird likes this.
  5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Set the car on fire and get a new car with new tires!

wsmc42, Sabre699, evakat and 4 others like this.
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Still in MB warranty? Did you but it new or CPO?
    Talk to the dealer if so.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I love the continentals on cars but. . . you HAVE to rotate them (even every 5K as stupid as that seems) otherwise they go all insane-o.

Did you get the car serviced at the dealer? They should have done it.

sdg likes this.
  8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Not on OEM tires, but I did warrant a set of Michelins on the Touareg. They wore down to the wear bars well before the 70k guarantee. Thanks 2.5 ton all-wheel drive!

I got a pro-rated return is that saved me about $125/tire for the replacements of the same brand. Only caveat was that I needed to prove the tires were rotated every 5k, which they were.

OEM tires are shit, that’s for sure, but if it’s a setup issue with your car, I’d put that on MB, though they do word it carefully that alignments are not covered under warranty.

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Is she secretly auto crossing it and rushing the corners? Tell her to go in a little slower on corner entry and steer more with the rear tires as she accelerates through the corner. Should help with that front edge wear.

wiggeywackyo likes this.
  10. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Our Jeep SRT was to the cords in 20k on those stupid $500ea. tires. Extremely doubtful they would cover them because they can easily blame it on alignment or lack of rotating or improper inflation.

11. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Actually the tires your car came with will be the best tires ever for that car so to speak. The OEM's pay a premium to get the best of the best tires for the cars. They don't want JD Power hits for warranty issues, especially the 1st year in conjuntion with the fact that they are mounted and balanced lineside with robotic machinery that must operate in under 1 min tact times.

The flow down on the "same tire" is OEM, OEM dealer network, "branded" tires store, "other" tire retailers. So if your buying from discount tire your actually getting 4th level quality.

If you are ever looking for tires try going to a Ford or Dodge dealer. They will match any price and often times also have by 3 get 4th free. Plus they get the 2nd tire behind the assembly plant quality tires.

sdg likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What? The OEM tires are usually stiff and going for stupid ass gas mileage.

"We get 32 MPG with the oem tires!" Who gives a flying fat ass Salem witch fart about about gas mileage? 1 extra MPG with a tire versus one that stops and sticks?

TurboBlew and crashman like this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

New, still under warranty.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can't rotate... rear tires are different size.

Both fronts are wearing out on the outer edges. Its not an inflation issue (I'm pretty sure they can see pressures in the computer recordings). Not an alignment issue, either, since both are wearing the same.

These tires were probably officially gone at around 18k miles. How is that even possible? What century is this, LOL.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

She drives like a grandma, I swear!

16. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Hey! I actually accomplished this exact thing one time not so long ago! I'm excited to talk about it. Truck tires (Michelins OEMs) on my new F350 that didn't come anywhere near their warranty mileage, about half and they were shot! I went to an independent well known tire store that dealt Michelins and they took great care of me and I got a completely new set of four tires for half price!! Was very happy with that result and their service of course. So, it is possible to do.... I've done it. I should say that I didn't even bother trying to go to the dealer with this question just because I figured it would have been a waste of time, maybe they would have done the same thing??

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don't think MBZ really pushes gas mileage on any of their cars. Its not a gawdam Toyota, ya know?

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The car manufacturer does not cover the tires, the tire does have a warranty and it should state somewhere in your paperwork what that mileage warranty is through the tire manufacturer. Some Hi-perf tires don't last for shit. And it may be in spec for alignment but if the specs are driven for handling, guess what's going to suffer? :D

Ps- I should state some Hi-perf tires do NOT have a warranty for obvious reasons.

PPS- Those tires don't really look to be what im talking about so disregard..

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

def talk to the dealer first. We found MB USA was very accommodating with issues and ours was a CPO.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

We had a 350Z and the toe setting were wrong from the factory on like all of them, at least for daily street use.

Nissan ended up recalling/paying for all new front tires and an alignment for all owners. So it's not unheard of.