1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Rob
    I will try again Friday and or Saturday and see if they have any others. There was alone of ~10 people waiting to buy but I think the ones they have in stock now are less popular. They are the same ones they had in PA last month.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thanks bud, if I get lucky that’s great but don’t waste a lot of time for me.

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. ChemGuy

No worries. I am just out there doing some site seeing and shopping anyway. It’s maybe 30min by subway to the swatch stores

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I stopped by the Swatch store on 5th Ave in NYC today to see what the fuss is about. They had a display with all the moon watches but nothing in stock. And in the 10 minutes I was there just checking out the other plastic watches, there must have been 15-20 people that popped in and asked if they had the moon watch. I just started laughing every time and told them they need a sign or something. They said they got a few in this morning and sold them right away of course. They said they get new small shipments at random times throughout the week

I got a different bio ceramic watch as a gift for someone and it was ridiculously light for sure. I think if they would just put a cheap ETA movement in the watch, it would be a bit better. Oh well.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I actually liked the Mars watch colors. If you still have one unclaimed I might be interested.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What's a good price on an Explorer ii ?

Have close family traveling in Europe this week, may ask them to bring one back depending on how the exchange rate shakes out

7. ChemGuy

tree fiddy?

Well prices have come down some. If you can get one (16570) for ~6K that's below market now.

What exact model? 1655, 16550, 16570 (best one IMO) or 216570? black or Polar?

8. laz749

laz749 Active Member

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I like the 16550, but the 570 is tittys also . Prefer polar face but black is cool too

If exchange rate works out to 6k in USD I told them to contact me

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

So... traditionally males in our family get a nice engraved (Happy 18th) watch on our birthdays, and my son is turning 18 in May. I've got quite a few ideas, but that new Murph really speaks to me, since its a call back to a great movie and just happens to be part of our last name :D We also get 'murph' as nicknames from friends and colleagues ...

I think I want to get him the Hamilton, but I'm undecided on the original Murph and the new 38mm Murph. I'm not sure how to test his tolerance on a 42 vs a 38 without cluing him in on what might be coming.

I figure the Murph is a good everyday watch that can accommodate any occasion, but for sure am open to other suggestions here. For reference, my 18th (in 1996) was a Tag Heuer SEL series from the BVI with a colorway (black/black/chrome) not available in the US.

Times have changed for sure, but I don't think an apple watch (or whatever digital is popular now) is any of any long term significance like a nice mechanical might be.

What do you guys think? Kids are so different these days and I'm not even sure if he'll wear it, but I feel its an important milestone and want to signify it the way we've done in the past.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just found my IWC portofino chrono today and realized I’ve worn it maybe 5 times in the time I’ve owned it. Anyone interested in buying it before I remember why I love it? Box, papers and all the shit us watch nerds dig. Not going to give it away and no non “well known members” of the bbs.
    Still working on my grail and maybe if I sell this I’ll move on it. :(

Phl218 and Jedb like this.
  12. ChemGuy

tree fiddy?

13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

tree fiddy plus a carton of smokes. :moon:

Phl218 likes this.
  14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'd get him the 38mm unless he is a really big kid.

I've bought a lot of retirement gift watches over the years and it's hard to find one that can be nicely engraved. Most watches now have exhibition casebacks or other engravings already on the back.

thrak410 likes this.
  15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The Murph is cool and a good price for sure. It’s pretty timeless looking so it won’t look strange in 10 or 20 years too. Another that might fit the bill is the new 39mm Tudor ranger. You can dress it up on steel and run a nato on a camping trip and it would look great. Like mentioned above it’s hard to find solid case backs these days but almost all Tudor’s are solid.

Is he into watches at all? I know for me picking out the watch is a huge part of the enjoyment factor so maybe set a budget and have him pick something out? Of course if you don’t have a good place with a large variety that might be tough.

thrak410 likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Second to the significance of its relation to Interstellar (which is my favorite movie) and how symbolic it is to the father/daughter relationship in that film, I think this is why I enjoy it so much. It is highly understated and you could place it's design in just about any era and it would still fit in. I'm not a fan of overly complex or "busy" designs.
    I've got relatively slender wrist (right at ~7in.) and the 42 is definitely at my max, but I still find it perfectly wearable. My Speedmaster is also 42mm, but the design of the Hamilton makes the lug-to-lug stretch to 52mm, versus a much more compact 47mm l2l on the Omega.

Whichever way you go, for a daily-wear seriously consider the deployant (if you want to retain the OEM leather strap). I found the standard strap VERY stiff even after some use and the clasp difficult to manage. The OEM Hamilton deployant is available with the exact same leather/stitching design.....at least for the 42mm.

IMG_56432.jpg IMG_56422.jpg

thrak410 and KCFirebolt like this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

19. ChemGuy

Actually MSRP on the newer 216570 (42mm maxi case vs 16570 and earlier 40mm, newer movement etc) is $9,500. But you wont find one available for sale at a shop. If you do, buy it and flip it.

My favorite reference is the 16570. Those have been 8-10K but some have come down a little with the recent slight depression in prices. So if you can get one around 6-6.5K and its in good shape and not banged up or overly polished, it would be a "deal" in todays market.

I think the 216570 are selling on the secondary market for 10-12K. If you can find one of those for less than MSRP that would be a deal to.

20. ChemGuy

worthless likes this.