1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

@Philip Mirgliotta wgat is your experience with TimeCareInc?
    i have a watch I need repaired and they are 30 miles from my house.

ride safe,
    AAron

3. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

He is one of the best in the business.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Not sure if this has been mentioned here… I saw an ad on IG today for Hamilton Watches.

They are making a watch called the Cry-6 I thought it was possibly a collab Crye Precision tactical gear and I was excited. (I know the spelling was missing an “e”. I was hopeful lol).

It’s a collab with Cry-6 the first person video game.

I would of Nvr thought the gaming community would be into anything but smart watches. Interesting or fir me puzzling collaboration.

Edit: I haven’t played a video game in 25 + years so maybe I’m just out if touch with that community.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us...HgaC_X657FSiV7mMtiwsAz7JJWpD_-fIJRyOqExt2MprA

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

doesn't tickle me

6. kh777

kh777 Member

What SteveThompson and JedB said. Some additional comments - For the Omega you will need a new spring bar (for 18mm lug width - e.g. search for 18mm spring bar). They are inexpensive and 97% likely you won't need to get esoteric with the "fatness" of the tube or tip size (but if you have a caliper, wouldn't hurt to know - in millimeters). While you're at it you may want to get a spring bar tool that has a fork end (generic about $10, or $20ish for a Bergeon). If your watch(es) have a through-hole at each of the lugs ("pierced lugs") you may want a pushpin on the other end of the tool (a paperclip will work too). Yes a watchmaker can/should help you with the bracelet, but having the tools will open up options if you want to play with putting the watch on a leather strap (or even nato straps). I would be a little more careful with the Rolex (practice on other watches first) only because their values are going up and you probably wouldn't want to scratch/gouge the lugs too much. And I'd also advise against sending to Rolex for service since they will generally insist on a full service that includes case/bracelet refinish - on a presumed vintage piece that will reduce the value somewhat, even though the watch will come back looking like new. That could be especially important if the watch was all original and turned out to be a model that is highly desirable by collectors. Sorry for your loss, btw.

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

@SteveThompson in your opinion is the difference in price between a 216570 and 226570 justified?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'm not Steve but i am a fan of EXP...they are both 42mm....look very similar to my eye. The only real difference seems to be the new movement (3285) in the 226570. It supposed to have more power reserve and be less affected by shock and magnetism. I dont know if either are really true.

Depending on the price difference who knows if its worth it to you. The older movement (3187) was used for ~10 years and is quality. It was based off of the 40mm EXP 3186 so that basic movement was around for many many years. I did see 1 note that the new 3285 was used in 2021. The 216570 was in production then so I wonder if any of them have the new 3285. If so that could be a collector watch as a 1 year only option...216570 with a 3285 movement.

@SteveThompson may know more specifics.

RichB likes this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

No.

That being said, the new one would be the cheapest of the two if you can find a way to get one from an AD. That's what I would do. Explorer's are popular, but they aren't Daytona popular. I'm guessing you could get a new one if you were willing to wait a little bit.

RichB likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

May be en route to my collection.
    With the below and the "Bruce Lee" I now have 14 of the 6138/6139 seiko chronos. Still missing a few, and the 2 Bullhead chronos.

I present the slide-rule vintage seiko chrono.
    One of the more rare ones. This one is missing the slide rule guide (think small clear overlay bezel) that actually lets you use the slide rule function built into the black bezel

sliderule.jpeg

SteveThompson, ChemGuy and cha0s#242 like this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My brother is getting into watches a bit more. Started off looking at what I'd call junk but jumped in with Seikos.

Called the other night and asked about <some brand>. "Compared to Seiko they are junk. If you want a beat on watch for the work you do, look at a G-shock and instead of quantity save and get yourself one great watch. Omega, Tudor, IWC or even an Oris as a good entry good watch. Rolex is next to impossible to get right now and are way over priced for what you get but they are cool."

I'm going to steer him towards an Omega Seamaster Planet ocean or similar. :)

Jedb likes this.
  12. Jedb

Just sell him your Omega GMT as his first starter drug.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's my kids for when she graduates HS. :)

Jedb likes this.
  14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Phl218, Spooner, Jedb and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jedb

That’s nothing but awesome!!

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I might sell my Sub but the Omega stays. No great story to the watch, just really like it.

Jedb likes this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Same for me and my Tudor. I want to get something else that I would pass down to my youngest son too but I just don't know what I want.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Your Panerai has a cool story, my IWC portofino has a cool story, my POS Tag has a great story, my wife's Rolex story kills but no attachment to any of them, I just dig the Omega and it's not going any where but to the kid. :)

It just works.

Jedb likes this.
  19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

20. Jedb

Interesting combo. There's a lot of "cross over" stuff going on between a fashion brand and a watch brand these days. Trying to cross-pollinate their customer pools.
    Hodinkee + Watch Company + Fashion Brand company = sold out in 37 minutes.

Timex does have some interesting things out these days.