1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

$10-$12k

tony 340 likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

It was about $6K about 9 months ago.
    $10-$14K today.

tony 340 and Phl218 like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow

4. Jedb

There's actually a price difference based on which GMT hand you have.

The traditional stick GMT in red is like $7-9K
    The more arrowhead orange GMT hand is more like $9 - $14K
    There seems to be price difference between white dial and black dial too.

General trend for 6 months.
    https://watchcharts.com/watches/brand_index/rolex/explorer+ii

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Wow that's pretty cool! Looks like I have done well with the Tudor I bought last summer second hand as well.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That new Explorer has me feeling good about my 216570. The new one shares the GMT II movement, which I believe has the same shock absorber pioneered in my watch, but it’s no longer unique.

Movements matter, and the 3187 is only in one watch, which was not initially popular, and only produced for about 10 years. I have to think the nerds will start coughing up stupid money for it in the next few years.

I’ll probably never sell it so it’s moot, but always fun to have something a bit unique

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Watches have shock absorbers!! I'm clueless :)

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing. However, if my AD calls me about a SS Daytona and wants to give me stupid $ for my EXPII, I might consider it. Then again...maybe not.
    Best I can tell, putting the 3285 in the EXP had zero impact on the value of the 216570, which appears to continue to be increasing. I doubt it matters, but since I got mine just a few weeks before the new one was announced, I gotta think that it's one of the last 216750s made.
    upload_2021-5-27_13-37-5.png

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Cool right? It’s the thing in the center that supports the bearing (jewel) for the balance wheel.
    [​IMG]

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Sometimes the whole movement is suspended. (look in the corners)

[​IMG]

JBraun likes this.
  12. Spooner

I'm generally not into Tag's but that is pretty bad ass!

Jedb and thrak410 like this.
  13. ton

ton Arf!

14. Spooner

15. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Jedb likes this.
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Don’t know why your seeing $900 it’s $700 on sale.
    [​IMG]

17. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My FIL left me his Rolex. I know nothing about the watch. I watched a YouTube tutorial on setting it and that’s as far as I got. It’s a 2005 Explorer II. I have all the papers and original receipt. I plan to take it to a local Rolex dealer to have it serviced and cleaned since I doubt he ever had it serviced.
    How’s it look?
    Is this a decent model?
    Any idea on the value of it?
    E94102E9-8A72-4919-9958-2484A4DFD84D.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    NemesisR6 likes this.
  18. Jedb

$9-12K value. Keep the box, receipt, papers all together. Adds value to the overall should you ever decide to sell it.

If he's never submerged it in acid, nor dropped it from a tall building, just wear it.
    I'd only send it back to Rolex if it's not keeping time (+/- 6 sec per day).
    Add it to your insurance list.

sharkattack likes this.
  19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

:stupid:

I'd be very cautious about sending it back to Rolex. They're known for replacing cosmetic parts and polishing even when you ask them not to. I would take it to a Rolex service center if it needs anything. If it were mine, I'd just wear it.

It's a great thing to have. I hope you wear it and remember your FIL. Too many people would put it in a drawer for safe keeping and not get to enjoy it.

Boman Forklift and sharkattack like this.
  20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Just called my local Rolex dealer. She said if it’s keeping decent time, wear it. No need to spend the $1000 to have it serviced. My FIL liked nice things, so I’d bet he was careful with it.
    I agree with the wear it sentiment. I’ll enjoy it way more on my wrist than in a box in my dresser drawer.

tony 340, Jedb and SteveThompson like this.