1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I can kinda get onboard with that, but Rolex is still a good value. What other brand has their combination of quality, price, name recognition/staying power and ease of ownership?

It would be hard to argue to a court that a company set the price too low and therefore it isn't fair to the consumer.

Hawk518 likes this.
  2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Winning what, and on what grounds? Rolex sells those watches to dealers at dealer price. How are they controlling what happens after that? Are they guilty of any "crime" besides not making enough watches?

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, if they are a public company the only lawsuit I could imagine is a shareholders lawsuit, because obviously Rolex isn't charging enough.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

so, basically like the diamond trade

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

In agreement, mostly.
    Or, cautious as I am not in possession nor claim full knowledge.

Disclaimer aside, I speculate that it is not as much a function of Rolex (as a company) but practice by AD's that are truly the driver of the price.
    Given that it is challenging (or nearing impossible) to secure some watches at the AD but there are plenty in the grey market.

I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The trend is not limited to Rolex.
    I believe that it applies to most steel sport offering from other houses.

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

This is in my radar. Any negatives here?
    [​IMG]

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

That is going to kill Broome!

Phl218 and Hawk518 like this.
  9. SteveThompson

I think Rolex has really cracked down on the grey market. Even 5 years ago there would be a supply of watches that you couldn't pinpoint where they came from. Now it's not as much of a grey market as it is some individual got a watch and is selling it as new to make a few bucks.

Also, that VC is legit. You should get it.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks.
    I value you opinion on the matter.
    I refuse to pay grey market price on a Sky Dweller and VC has always been on my radar due to the Overseas but I don't need another sports watch.
    So, I started to look at the Patrimony and little by little the Harmony and 1921 have me fully engaged (contemplating).

With respect to Rolex (AD) and Grey Market, I do believe there are some scrupulous ADs that may be working in conjunction with others to get some of the watches to market and enhance their profits.

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Did ya see the collection of stopwatches on bring a trailer?

75 pieces, current bid at $7,500

12. That’s an even more f’ed up ball game as far as setting pricing goes.

13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

412BF548-78C3-45EA-A1C9-97DCBDAEC699.jpeg

About 7 years ago I got invited to an event that honestly I didn’t belong at. The people at the event varied from members of the IMF, the UN, diplomats etc.
    The one thing that bonded everyone together was “watches”.
    I wish I had recorded the presentation that Gerd R Lang gave to me. For those that don’t know who he is he is a master watch maker and founder of Chronoswiss. He explained to me the 1960’s “quartz crisis” which decimated the watchmaking world. Brands that had been around for centuries were forced to close. This was all news to me I had no idea that this had even occurred.
    He then went on to explain how he and other manufacturers recreated themselves to succeed. He explained to me how Rolex and others have become what they are and my take away was that it’s a perception becomes reality type situation with consumers. I will say that Rolex has some very crazy stringent rules for there employees all done to prevent any type of damaging “image” issues Rolex could experience.

Lang certainly wasn’t a Rolex hater. He has a very large collection of watches that include Rolex. His collection is considered by sone people to be the greatest Chronograph collection in the world.

I guess my point in all of this is if your understand what happened with the “quartz crisis” and follow how luxury brands like Rolex have evolved you will understand why they are marketed/sold the way there are and I will say this ... there are no coincidences. Its a very calculated marketing, sales, development strategy. It all makes a lot more sense to me when someone explain the entire history to me. I wish I could convey it the way he did. This is my attempt lol

Fun fact- Lang is credited with the crystal back case that is so popular today. One of my favorite details on a modern luxury watch.

Pic of me an Lang from that night.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Jedb, Hawk518, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I totally remember my dad and our next door neighbor being very excited buying new quartz watches when I was very young. We moved into that house in 1969 and it would have been within the first few years that we lived there.

They were bragging about how accurate Seiko quartz watches were were compared to the old wind up watches they both owned before. I can see how that would have decimated the old watch industry.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  15. SteveThompson

That makes a ton of sense.

I still don’t think you can get higher quality than Rolex for less $. I could maybe make an argument for Grand Seiko, but other than that I don’t think it can be done. Quality is a bit subjective, but when you hold a $10k Tag Heuer in one hand and a $10k Rolex in the other, it seems kinda obvious.

16. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Ok, had an issue with the Tag i bought so it went back and i've narrowed my search down to these 2 after a couple weeks of thinking, My local AD ordered a Bamford for me to look at in person. Im not a watch collector but i have always wanted a Breitling until i saw this Bamford edition Tag in person while drunk in vegas on my 35th bday..

Tag Heuer Aquaracer X Bamford -- Pros are titanium so its super light and modern, functional tool watch with a solid movement that is proven to be reliable, 1500 made. I really want a Ti watch after checking this one out in vegas.
    Cons- very expensive for a Tag Aquaracer (3900 and zero to hardly any discounting available) ; a stainless aquaracer can be had sub $2k...

Breitling Superocecan 42 - Pros- COSC certified so a "nicer watch" similar MSRP as the Tag however can be had for about $1000 less (2999 new, $2650 used mint), can be dressed up or down, probably better resale and more "watch" for the money
    Cons - not titanium, not as exclusive but definately a popular watch. going to be a bit heavier and thicker than the tag.

Honorable mention is a Tudor Pelagos, in house movement, titanium, $3500-4k and probably even more "watch for the money" than the above two but the above two i like the looks of best.

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'd go with the Tudor (value) or Breitling (COSC)

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

yeah as much as I like the Bamford Tag the other two seems like such better values

19. SteveThompson

Pelagos. No question. You may have to go grey market to get one, but it’s not much over msrp.

20. SteveThompson

There also might be a used Seamaster in that price range that makes sense.