1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of you store your AA, AAA, C, D batteries in the freezer?

Discussion in 'General' started by backbone, Feb 21, 2022.

1. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I have been doing this since the late 80's in our shop fridge/freezer area. I was asked the other day why the hell are the batteries in the freezer? I have no recollection as to WTF I keep them in there. :)

Weird thing is, I always know where they are and most people don't look for them in there so they don't go missing too quick :P

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have in the past, not so much anymore.

I learned this via a Photography magazine. I believe it slows the chemical activity, somewhat extending its life. Should be brought up to room temp prior to use for best performance.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Freezers are for meat

0 sense preserving a .50 cent battery.

4. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I"ve heard of putting the in the refridgerator...never the freezer. That was 20 years ago though. Now they come labeled as having a 10 year shelf life. Probably longer with the lithium

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Chemical reactions get slower in the cold...faster in the heat.

Storing them cold helps slow down their loss of energy by slowing the chemical reaction.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So why the hell does my truck battery die when it's frickin cold out??? o_O

7. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Same reason, slower chemical reactions make less energy.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You must not have bought a battery in a long time because they are expensive as hell nowadays

9. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

ummm maybe because you just want it to look pretty?? you still should use it..

10. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

shit for sure...

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Because the real damage was done in the heat of the summer. then it cant hold it's state of charge with the little it is driven, by a little alternator. I try to charge our autos batteries fully with a battery tender, every 6-8 weeks. your results may vary. Ski

12. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

https://www.panasonic-batteries.com/en/faq/should-i-store-batteries-refrigerator-or-freezer#:~:text=In short: no.,to rust or other damage.

Should I store batteries in the refrigerator or freezer?

In short: no. While cold environments help maintain battery life, refrigerators and freezers are not safe to put batteries in. The moist environment will cause condensation on the batteries. This in turn will lead to rust or other damage. Avoid putting batteries under extreme temperatures at all times.

This article talks a bit more and was a very quick interesting read. https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ies-refrigerator-myth-versus-fact/4062734002/

backbone likes this.
  13. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

i always stored my cigarettes in freezer....

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Doing that takes up valuable room that can be used for the bodies. So no.

GM GIXXER likes this.
  15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's because he stores them in the freezer.

joec, gixxernaut and backbone like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did, don't bother these days.