1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I could live with the crappy interior of a corvette. I could overlook the dials and controls that seemed to be lifted off a speak and spell. The traction of a fat dude wearing Birkenstocks on Lake Michigan in January is actually kind of fun if you’re not actually trying to go in a straight line. The 7 speed manual belongs in a tractor but that’s not a deal breaker.

nope, what kills it for me is the inability to get the seat right to see what I needed to in the car. Couldn’t tell where the tip of nose was and the ass of the car was back there somewhere but hells if I knew where it was. The car was just too large and when I was on it, shit if I knew where it was going. :D

2. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love AMG's and M's because they're sleepers (would throw in the Caddy "V's" as well). I don't get the hate for the Vette. It's a great car, and the C7 in my opinion is the best looking one (with the C6 being a close second). In the past, you couldnt put a Vette next to an exotic and not have the differences be glaring (especially with the styling). . .even though the ass end leaves something to be desired, it is a fucking gorgeous car and is now right at home being next to exotics. I call the C7 "the American version of the 812 super fast" - the lines have a lot of similarities (especially in profile) and they do great as GT's or sports cars.

IMG_9356.JPG

Funny enough though - waaaaaaaaaay harder getting in and out of the C7 than the 812 - I've literally have had to put my hands on the ground before to get out of the Vette. However, you just can't beat the performance for dollar value (especially when the reliability is factored in). All the talk about 60 year olds and gold chains crack me up. I was driving "nice" cars in my teens, 20's and 30's and would get similar comments about my age and what it meant (regardless of the changes being decades in my age) - it would seem the perfect age, gender and wardrobe for nice car ownership is whatever age, gender and wardrobe the person passing judgement on others driving them is rocking at that moment. . .:crackup:

He's 6 feet, 200lbs. . .:crackup:. He's always been a natural athlete so his body mechanics are off the charts. . .throw in close to two decades of martial arts and he's got crazy flexibility as well (for his age now). . .still part of the instructions for getting in an out of the Lotus was "don't grab the windshield or roof to get in or out -you'll break both. . ." that lead him to get this T-shirt. . .:D
    IMG_2870.jpg

And I don't know what the best American car is ? - for me it's always (and forever will be) the 427 Shelby Cobra. . .if I was going to spend 60 grand on toy car right now, I'd say "fuck it, find the whatever you need above 60 and get a Factory Five kit car just to scratch that itch. . .:D).

3. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the driving position in the C7. I think part of the issue is that we are so used to riding sportbikes, regardless of size, where visibility is not an issue that we are very spoiled. I have learned to drive the car off of the front fender well bulges. You have to realize you have some more in front of those, though not very much. I use the rear camera and the mirrors when backing up. I am afraid it just takes time and practice to learn to drive the thing. My cure for the interior is to drive my 2015 Jaguar XJL sedan. Would love to have a Mclaren or a Ferrari but I don't have the money to play in that league.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And for the people out there thinking I’m a German car elitist well, I am but the interior quality on a BMW might be shittier than most ‘Mercian cars. The seats feel like pleather covered lawn chairs, the switches feel like they were stolen from a Soviet t62 and the shifter is moronic (“you have to get used to it and then it’ll make sense.” - sales idiot to me a few years back).
    Only people getting it right are Alfa and VW / Audi for me. Mazda is close.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  5. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Golf cart club car.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Facts about C5(?), C6 and C7(?) 'Vettes and side stuff to know...
    - Dimensionally smaller than a 911(991). What? No fuckin' way!
    - It's very comfortable for long distances. 18 hours/1200 miles, fuel stops only.
    - It's very powerful for an economy car. ~33mpg/hwy.
    - It has insane cargo volume but it doesn't fit a sheet of plywood. It will, however, nicely fit a Barrett 50BMG in a Pelican case.
    - A base C6 is faster than a C5 ZO6.
    - At a minimum, ZR51 package. Better brakes and an axle ratio that will help avoid the 1500rpm drone.
    - HUD is good for not having to look down to see how expensive your ticket is gonna be.
    - No one makes a lift kit, offroad bumpers or a winch mount...yet.
    - The Bose head unit blows.
    - Proper aftermarket wheels are cost prohibitive.
    - Get it aligned for the type of driving you'll predominately be doing or go through tires at a stupid rate. The original tires might only last 10K cuz of the shitty factory alignment. Our C6 is basically zeroed. I'm finishing off my second set of replacements soon, or not. Michelins, quiet as shit, with near 90K on the clock.
    - If you get a manual with the "Skip Shift" feature, get a "Skip Shift Eliminator". You'll thank me later.
    - A shorter shift lever would make the manual shift really quick/slick.
    - Don't worry about insurance. Premiums reflect older, more mature drivers.
    - Ass end is so light, you'll drift through intersection turns when the tires are cold, very little throttle necessary.
    - Always turn the traction control off. In operation, it's about as sophisticated as a light switch.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a C6....some insights...
    -It won't fit 2 golf bags (that is if they have dolly carts attached)
    -33 mpg? Best I saw on the car computer was 25 mpg, in 5th gear at 60 mph
    -you can get reasonably priced tires (I run firestones) but different wheels prevent easy rotation
    -changing the oil requires some basic McGueivering. I built some 2X10 ramps (2 thick) that I have to back the front wheels on to get enough space to reach the filter. Just make sure to NOT fall off the back of the ramps as they will crunch the front splitter.

9. Sabre699

Well I shouldn't...but I will. Have owned this identical puppy since 2002 and "she" gets 29+/gal. unless you're playin', and it keeps Mama happy. I present to you, the fucking dreaded C4 Corvette...

[​IMG]

Unless you're a 'vette owner...save it...I've heard it for 20 yrs. and it falls on deaf ears. :crackup:

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  10. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

I dunno what Honda was thinking in the early 70's...
    You know, If you live in a 'Golf Cart Community'....... You'd be Hero of the stupid with a Vamos...[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I thought about Camaros because they have so much performance for the price, but I don’t think I could get used to the tiny windows on the street. The ‘14-15 Z28 would be my choice though if I ever buy one.
    I’ve had the car for almost a year and finally figured out I was using it wrong. I always used competition mode and assumed that meant it was turning TC and stability off, but I was also wondering why it was such a pain in the ass on corner exits. Turns out you have to hold the button down for five seconds to turn everything off. Now I can get it sideways and hold it there, so much better.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

- I can fit two complete sets of riding gear (leathers/boots/gloves/back protectors/helmets), folding table, two folding chairs, a 10x10 EzUp, 10x10 outdoor carpet, a 24"x14"x14" cooler and two gym bags of street clothes.
    - Yes. The car's computer is fairly accurate. If you take my approximate mileage of 1200 from above and do the math, I stop once en route and once about an hour from home. This assumes I started with a full tank. Comes out to ~33 mpg.
    - I use Rhino ramps with a 2' 2x4 "helper" at the start of each ramp. Drives right up.
    On our '08 'Vette, competition mode kills TC and 50% of stability. Have to hit the button twice about a second apart.

One other thing, our 6spd manual doesn't have that dumb-assed cylinder deactivation BS.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Some of us who own Vettes actually don't have the jacket or the hat or cheesey jewelry. Many of us don't care to adorn our cars with crossed flags all over the interior and exterior, or any other useless bling.
    We do enjoy them for the rude creatures they can be.
    Many of us who are over 60 can still hustle around a race track, don't pose at cruise-ins or even bother going.
    We avoid car snobs and simply enjoy a driving experience like no other car for the value.
    Many of us are former German sports car enthusiasts who come from an American muscle car youth.

14. R1Racer99

I drive mine with bare feet and shorts, it gets some odd looks at the gas pump but I don’t care. I just want to go fast and destroy the rear tires, all the better if no one is watching, most of those idiots look worse for trying to show off.

15. R1Racer99

My first car was a 3rd gen Camaro and I’ve been seeing cheap and nice builds on them lately. I think it would be a sweet LS platform with the right wheels and suspension. I wish I could get my ‘89 IROC back for the $700 I got for it 20 years ago.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I had an rx8 that was like that. The only time I ever spun the car was with a single button push to deactivate the tc. The stupid computer would cut power at the worst time possible and not be able to regain control. With the button held for 10s, it was super easy to control.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  17. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Ginetta G40r

Attached Files:

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

@Sabre699 please tell us you at least swapped out the wheels? :D

but who cares? It’s ugly and pretty boring looking but might be a riot to try and drive fast. :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Prices on 3rd gens are starting to climb. Get one soon or it will be too late

R1Racer99 likes this.
  20. Sabre699

Reading comprehension? :crackup: