1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Damn that's sexy. My dream car. Yeah, I know there are "better", but I've always loved them. The looks, the rawness. Awesome.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thanks, it's a very raw car to drive. Most fun on 4 wheels that I have ever driven.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

damn!! thats beautiful

Funkm05 likes this.
  4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I concur

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Damn, that's nice. Here's my FFR, a donor build MK2 with a mild 5.0 (heads, intake), that hit the road about 20 years ago. I used to autocross it so it has power steering and brakes and 275/40-17 all around. 3 link rear and Koni single adjustables. I took a local VoTech class to learn body and paint. Shot the small parts in their booth, then built a temporary booth in my backyard for the main body. It's pretty fun but I've never been able to dial out the bump steer with the Mustang steering rack.

Definitely a budget build I'd probably do a little differently today if I actually had the time to do something like this. I think I'm into it for about $26k. Took about 6 months to get it on the road with an unfinished body, then I took it back apart and took 6 months to do all the body and paint. I gather the new bodies are nice enough to run in gelcoat which was definitely not the case 20 years ago.

cobra.jpg

Funkm05, BigBird, Razr and 5 others like this.
  6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Nice looking car, is that 4 lug wheels I am seeing.

7. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Yep! Drum rear brakes too! 32yo me was, um, price-sensitive.

8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

still bad ass

BigBird and Mike Fennell like this.
  9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Nice looking car. I think building one is a great experience, regarding of the budget. Mine started in 2019 when kit was delivered, but was delayed by a few other projects. Good thing is that allowed me to spread some of the expenses over a few years.

Gelcoat on newer cars looks pretty decent, I drove mine for about 1200 miles before getting it ready for paint.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  10. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

In retrospect, your approach would have been better. I wouldn't say I rushed the build but I definitely made trade-offs to build quicker and cheaper. 5 lugs, independent rear (at the time, they used Thunderbird center sections which were getting thin on the ground - not sure if they still do), a wire diet, and more time on body fitting prior to paint would have made a nicer product. My engine compartment is an embarrassment. :) I suppose if I really wanted some of those things I could still add them...

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nice thing about a project car is there can always be another project to things that perhaps in hindsight could have been done a little better.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I saved about $15 -20k on engine and transmission by buying a two year old wrecked mustang of Copart. Kept the power plant and parted out the rest. Wasn’t pretty but it worked. Saved a lot of money compared to buying a crate motor.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Had this thing in garage today.

Attached Files:

Triple X, cBJr and Mike Fennell like this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

There was an old guy that died in a Cadillac SLR about 15yrs ago, and family ended up in a GM lawsuit over this

I honestly don't understand it. Anyone with a brain knows that's a massive safety hazard....not just for people with normal mental capacity....but others as well.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I still shake my head at the brainiac fucks at GM that prevent the ignition from being locked and the key taken out of the battery is dead.

Fucking. Seriously?

tony 340 likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I could see that. It's not like these "emergency" door releases are visible from the seating position.

That's definitely a deal breaker for so many reasons.
    I'm sure they're quick to point out this "safety(?)" feature to potential customers, too. :rolleyes:

tony 340 likes this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's almost comical, the plethora of aftermarket that supports the designs/junkyard availability of donors that seemingly makes a Chevy powerplant the default choice.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

cBJr likes this.
  20. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

When I saw the LS I figured it was a kit car. What ever possessed the original owner to swap out the V12?