1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required RE: Racing Incident

Discussion in 'General' started by t500racer, Jun 23, 2022.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I will try to keep this brief. Even though this was not a road racing incident (off road hare scrambles), I know there are plenty of dirt bike guys here and overall I've found the Beeb to be a pretty damn good place to get solid advice and knowledge.

Racing an AMA sanctioned hare scrambles last Sunday, Vet B class, as I have for the last four years. Vet B starts towards the back of the grid, which means the AA riders will usually catch and lap us as they start first.

The first two AA riders passed me cleanly (sandy, tight woods section not a lot of passing room but I was moving over as much as I could because I heard them coming from several seconds away). All of a sudden I was hit from behind by the third place AA rider. It was a jarring hit, but no damage done other than a stalled bike. The rider's front wheel is up against my bike and behind my right leg. He begins brapping the throttle and dumping the clutch with causes his front wheel to hit my right leg and dislodge it from the foot peg. The front wheel runs over my leg, trapping it solidly between my footpeg and now his skid plate. He starts bouncing the bike to get traction and I can feel my bones bending and his rear tire spinning on my leg. I am screaming at this point for him to stop, but he does not. He keeps bouncing and brapping the throttle. He is not able to move until he has completely broken my tib and fib, at which point he also runs over my arm and very nearly my head. He knows I am hurt and on the ground, but continues on. Thankfully every other rider behind him stopped.

The rider has been identified. The more I learn about him the more stories of this kind of aggressive riding come out. Apparently someone else was giving him and his father a hard time just after this race because of something else he did. I am trying to confirm but believe there is actually documentation from other incidents of reckless riding. Apparently he is kind of a big deal, just signed with KTM.

Now that I am out of surgery and home. starting the long road to recovery. I have a lot of time to lie here and think about this. This is not my first rodeo, I've raced everything from stock cars to snowmobiles, road raced with WERA, AHRMA, RACE and VRRA,, hare scrambles, Enduros and I've been knocked down by other riders who made a mistake and I've paid for it. But I have never experienced this type of wanton disregard for a fellow rider in what was an entirely preventable but now life changing injury for me.

I am not sure exactly what avenues are available to me. but I know something needs to be done about this rider.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If your story is accurate, He deserves to be outed fucking period.

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Damn. Heal up! Talk to the race organizer at a minimum.

4. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

Shit can happen, and it's a risk that we all accept when we race. This however is outright dangerous, and if it's a pattern of behavior, I'm with BC.

5. Slick-101

Slick-101 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is beyond AWFUL and it's a shame you don't have a gopro of this bc I truly believe this goes well beyond "racing incident" and into a totally different realm. It's akin to when a hockey player takes his stick and smashes a player in the face and those have been criminally prosecuted, as it exceeds the scope of competition and assumed risk that we all take when we engage in these types of activities. I have raced on road, and off road, and during off road races like scrambles, enduros, etc., it's not uncommon for guys to ride over top of downed bikes. Seen it 100 times. That's not all that horrible especially if the guy running over is a pro, and is lapping a weekend warrior type. What you described is fundamentally NOT THAT. I'd report it to the sanctioning body without doubt and then I'd ponder additional moves. I'm a lawyer, so part of me thinks this is civil action territory. But I don't want to go "lawyer" in this context and am instead just replying as "racer dude" like everyone else on the board. What state were you in? I am wishing you well on your recovery, man. I really hate to hear this happened to you.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Hope you heal up without complications, I know how your luck goes. You've had shit luck medically since I've known you.

That guy needs to be outed and blasted all over social media. Post your story everywhere.

Killswitch and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What BC said. If it’s as you described and you confirmed 100% it was him, snitch his bitch ass out.

G 97 likes this.
  8. t500racer

I realize there are three sides to every story, and I have made a herculean effort to avoid embellishment in the initial telling. The truth is that the incident should have been over after the initial contact, no harm, no foul. Every decision and action the rider made after that point exacerbated the situation into the disaster it became.

Gorilla George, Gino230 and G 97 like this.
  9. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Sounds like that Race Org has some decisions to make. You need to petition the org for resolution of the incident in writing (My Opinion).

Did you have a camera on?
    We race and practice with cameras on 100% of the time because of lessons learned in the past. The camera often settles issues and disputes 100% of the time. I've often had to swallow my anger and watch grown @ss men yell at my kids only to see a video that proves their pride is bigger than talent.

With that said, I hope you settle it via the org and not a lawsuit. Not making a excuse for the rider but adrenaline and being in the moment trying to get on the box can impair judgment. My own daughter gets so far into a zone we really don't talk to her 20 minutes before after a race.

G 97 likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get better man...heal up.
    Then go comb his hair with a bat.

11. t500racer

I am/was in VA. I agree with your assessment, I have run over downed bikes when the rider was not in the way, but I was not down on the ground or off the bike until after my leg was broken. His actions literally pulled my body from the machine and caused my bike to fall over. It feels to me as if this goes way beyond the pale of a normal racing incident, I've lived through plenty of those.

The Todd likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

four years in vet B? time to move to vet A.. :) won't get caught nearly as fast. I'd bring it up to the club administrators but not really sure there's much else to do or that could be done. I'd certainly try to get ahold of this guy though, and let him know what he's done, but the AA guys are on a mission. no 2 ways about it. most get by riders slower than them with zero issue or drama. sad deal.

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

It will be interesting to see how KTM approaches this.

The Todd and Dom17 like this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Yep, no reason not to. I am also a firm believer in addressing all issues at the event directly after the race right then and there. Sucks that there was an injury that probably prevented action from being taking at the event. But for sure, I would make it public and rally the group. If what happened is true and accurate there needs to be some accountability on his part. I would make it public in a heart beat, no question.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

With or without a 3 ft. screwdriver ?

16. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

As others have asked....any video?

Any others (riders/fans) witness?

As others mentioned....bring up to race org. Make sure they have it documented, and not in one ear, and out the other.

Racer in question, may very well have video, but if he's at fault....good luck getting/seeing that vid.

17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i dont know a thing about scrambles, but i dont think i need to in order to recognize the willful disregard for another riders safety! i agree with statements above and do everything i could do ensure he is no longer able to do this to another rider...and i will refrain from saying what else i might do once healthy - but sometimes how i was raised gets the better of me. but he would know , one way or another.

jonathanp and Past Glory like this.
  18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Sounds like a psychopath to be honest.

RonR and gixxerboy55 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too late to talk to the race director so time to figure out who the organizer was. Contact them and copy the AMA (find the amateur MX peeps) on everything you send. The both absolutely need to know, there is no way to take care of problem riders without information.

Nathey likes this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I race XC damn near every weekend, and this shit is uncalled for. @MELK-MAN, sorry, but 'AA guys are on a mission' is horseshit. I can be on a mission too right after the race directly to his trailer to smash his fucking face in, but that too is uncalled for.

OP needs to out this shitbag ASAP.

Dirt bikes are fun, mkay! :D

Prospect, Pixelator, The Todd and 8 others like this.