1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Legend Has Passed - Sandy Kosman

Discussion in 'General' started by ronin1052, Jun 8, 2022.

1. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Sandy Kosman, one of the most prolific innovators in the history of motorcycle racing, has passed at 80.

Known primarily for advancements in the Drag Racing arena and jewel-like products, his talents spread FAR beyond that into all types of motorcycle competition. The motorcycle world is much poorer for his passing.

A great read about the man's life:

https://www.dragbike.com/top-fuel-motorcycle-legend-sanford-kosman/

I have in my stash an early 18" GSX-R1100 rear rim that was widened to 5.5" by Kosman Specialties.
    It's just a bit more valuable today, at least in my mind.

RIP Sanford Kosman.

gixxerboy55 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dang... RIP Sandy.

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Darn. RIP

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I met Sandy at a Two Wheel Tuesday event in Portland.
    He had recently retired and moved there.
    Interesting guy, had some good stories.

6. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I was very involved in Pro Stock motorcycle drag racing in the 70's. Kosman was a big guy at the track, he and Byron Hines did a lot of great stuff....

Britt and YamahaRick like this.
  7. Damn great read, he also made some nice triple clamps for ZX 7 road race bikes.

8. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

Had gone to superbike(1992) races in Sonoma, some how ended up in San Francisco. I told my brother, lets go check out Kosman racing. We didnt get to meet him, but the guy behind the counter (Pete) was very cool to us. It was a good visit! All kinds of cool stuff in the shop. Rest in Peace Sandy! CB-750F Triple clamps, Gremica calipers/Kosman rotors, CBX rear wheel and kool sticker!

Attached Files:

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

He was well know in the Hawk circles for his widened front wheels. Allowed you to use modern 120/70 rubber on the wider rim while keeping the OE look and rotor.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

10. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

RIP, Sandy.