1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 900RR - Barn find

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by chobes, Aug 10, 2022.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

While searching for parts for another project, I was blown away to find out that an old friend still had his '93 CBR 900RR, and it has literally been in a barn since 1998. A deal was worked out, shipping arranged, and the bike is now in the garage for inspection. A special shout out to Tim at Motoshippers for delivering the bike in as close to the condition as it was found.

Barn_Blade_Side.JPEG Barn_Blade_Front.JPEG Barn_Blade_Tag.jpg Barn_Blade_Shipping_1.JPEG Barn_Blade_Garage.JPG

cxd10, lee955i and Shenanigans like this.
  2. mte78

mte78 Well-Known Member

Excellent find.

That will clean up nicely.

chobes likes this.
  3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s a great score!

chobes likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Best colors! Well done.

chobes likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nice. Looks like he threw it down and then parked it?

What front rim is on it?

chobes likes this.
  6. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

My understanding is that there was a charging issue, and someone put it on it's side when they were trying to fix/test it. Still the original 16" front.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

chobes likes this.
  8. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

yep

chobes likes this.
  9. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

First wash yesterday, a different machine minus all of the dirt and grime that came off thanks to the pressure washer, soap and detergents.

Pre_Wash_1.jpg Pre_Wash_2.jpg Post_Wash_1.jpg Post_Wash_2.JPG

evakat and mte78 like this.
  10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Put power to it for the 1st time the other night...

Brains_connected.JPG Sparky_In.JPG Power_Front.JPG Power_Rear.JPG

11. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Initial tear-down today, some sweet souvenirs came with the bike

Tear_Down.JPG Souvenirs.JPG Mouse_Nest.jpg Cake.JPG Front_Fairings.JPG

12. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Trying to decide if I have the ability (key factor) and/or patience to put together a series of videos during the process and post to youtube...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  13. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Great find, the best part is that it has a human connection as well.

chobes likes this.
  14. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I've ridden this bike in the past, also an F2 that belonged to the previous owner's brother. I know quite a few of the family members on some level or another and have some great stories of their motorcycling exploits. This bike somehow is a small piece of my past, hoping that it all ties into a significant part of my future. I feel that it's somehow bringing me back to my roots, can't explain it any better than that.

15. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I swapped coils, plugs and wires, carbs and fuel tank from my running project bike, borrowed the clutch perch/lever and CDI, changed the oil and made sure it turned over by hand before hitting the switch. Runs like a dream for have been sitting for 20+ years, tomorrow she goes for a really slow test ride around the block. :beer:

Alive.jpeg Ready_To_Roll.jpeg

ChemGuy, Sudowoodo, VFR#52 and 4 others like this.
  16. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I know most use a VFR or F3 front wheel when going to a 17" front, but I have a spare F2 wheel also and decided to try it out. F2 wheel will allow me to keep the front wheel driven speedo. Fits fine, will need some spacers and some bigger rotors. I tried the F2 wheel on my '96 as well, appears it would be an option there also.

F2_Front_Wheel_1.JPG F2_Front_Wheel_2.JPG F2_Front_Wheel_3.JPG F2_96_1.JPG F2_Front_Wheel_2.JPG F2_Front_Wheel_3.JPG

mte78 and ChemGuy like this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

90 model VFR front rim has larger rotors and is a bolt on for this bike. Its heavy though and the reason everyone uses a F3 front rim.
    Best of luck on build.

Steven

chobes likes this.
  18. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Are all of the spacers and the speedo gear drive the same?

Also, what is the bolt spacing on the VFR front rotor? If it's the same, I can just swap the VFR rotor onto the F2 wheel.

19. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yes they are if i remember correctly. I just remember that its HEAVY so not good for a race bike.
    Id find a good F3 wheel and use a GPS for speedo. easier to find also and it bolts right up.
    the bolt pattern on 90 VFR rim is same as F2 just bigger in diameter and did i mention HEAVY!!!!! LOL

Steven

chobes likes this.
  20. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I might go with the F2 wheel on this bike, and use my F3 wheel on the '94 that I've decided to rebuild as well. The original wheels will be stripped/powder coated back to original color, as somebody needs to satisfy @Gorilla George and his affection for white wheels. Was able to take some time to get better organized in the garage and start digging into the bike, will be nice to have all of the parts in one spot.

IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2013.JPG

Gorilla George likes this.