1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

23 years in storage => LSR

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by mtiberio, Dec 6, 2017.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Mike Tiberio is trouble with a capital T! He's the reason I've been kicked out of MAARC racer gokart night, got my fingernail ripped off in a race (tried to pass him on the outside of turn 5 at Summit) and almost had a heart attack while trying to push start his Guzzi at the Miami GP back in the early 90s! He also tends to ignore one way streets in DC, happy to call him a friend.

joec and mtiberio like this.
  2. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

Oh, hey, I found your fingernail... Sorry for the block pass... NOT.

yamageezer and joec like this.
  3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Simply acknowledging that you know Middleton says a lot about any person willing to admit that.:)

joec and mtiberio like this.
  4. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I remember that weekend. We had taken down our tarp and sat all the tools out, note the open toolbox and Gerry the tuner in the lounge. We were daring it to rain because I went pretty well in wet weather.
    Good times for sure.

Sounds like us old road racers keep the ortho and neuro surgeons happy. I had to have a spinal fusion a few years back and that put an end to my comeback plans with a Honda 350 and possible ride on another Norton.

5. mtiberio

bummer, hope you are not in pain (without opioids).

6. Norton 357

No pain now and no pain killers. I couldn't be happier with the result other than I am not able bend very well...but then I wasn't exactly flexible before.

It was L4-5 fusion so I was having sciatic pain so bad that it was difficult to walk some days, but last year we went to Paris and I walked 12 miles in a day, so all is good now. The big issue is that I still have 2 herniated disc in that region and a crash could send me back for another fusion, so not worth it at 60.

mtiberio likes this.
  7. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

Mike, good to see you've found a new home for your competitive nature. Our paths crossed a few times in Wera and Ahrma, and it was always a good fight. What I took from your post was to stop whining to myself about arthritis here, there and everywhere after seeing your list of issues. Keep up the fight!

jess

8. mtiberio

Ah, Jesse... Don't start restart roadracing on my account. When people ask me, I say, I don't have another good crash left in me.

9. mtiberio

10. mtiberio

11. CharlieY

I literally just stumbled across this......sorry for the threadjack.

00W0W_7cIhhveZf6f_600x450[1].jpg

12. Norton 357

Dang Charlie. Where do you find these old photos?

That looks like Gerry changing the primary chain between races, we could only get 1 race on a chain.

I almost didn't recognize myself, that must be 30 years and 20 lbs ago.

13. CharlieY

20 lbs???? :rolleyes::Poke:

I found it while surfing CRAIGSLIST!.....some caferacer club up in Greenville I believe.

Happy new Year James. I hope you and family had a good Christmas.:)

14. Norton 357

Yeah, you got me there Mr Young. :crackup: My race weight was between 165-170 and I'm all over 190+ these days.

There are several of the old Clemson Cafe Racers Club members around Greenville, that was how Gerry and I originally connected and got into racing together around '86.

Holidays were great, hope they were for you as well.

15. CharlieY

Fair enough James:D.....Last time I saw you, you had MAJOR back issues and were living in pain, which would naturally control some things like activity.....that was where my Lb jab came from....Its not like you were rolling around then or anything, just funning man, and I have no doubt things have changed for you since then......I recall you returning to work, and that's about where we parted ways.

I cant look now, but the add was up very recently....there may be more pics.

Good luck with the Guzzi racebike sale Mtibero.....another friend and fellow WERA Guzzi racer Stephen Brenton just sold his Guzzi racebike. He crashed at Roebling several years ago (2011-2013?) and broke his leg really bad. He recovered and returned to work as a machinist, but claimed retirement from racing and never really fixed the bike. It sat. He recently posted an add on CL to sell an old set of leathers.....a guy showed up and asked about the crashed Guzzi sitting there......the timing was right for the buyer, and Stephen accepted his offer on it......I'd have given Stephen more than what he got for the bike, but it was one of those things.....the bike got sold for a song.

Stephen Brenton used to manufacture some specialty tools for guzzi's....you 2 may know each other http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_...moto_guzzi_tools_made_by_stephen_brenton.html

Later gents

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I remember that Guzzi well from the late 80’s early 90’s at Summit & Nelson, I wasn’t racing vintage yet but enjoyed watching the vintage racing, gave me the bug to get involved later.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Other characters from that era, Broderick Walker, Tommy D, Jeff James, Harry Morse, may have butchered a few names, I remember Jim Sublet & Harry (rip) holding his 125 upside down shaking it trying to retrieve a wrist pin clip or something outside of the tech shed.

18. Norton 357

My apologies to MTiberio for the thread jack but I found the Craigslist add and recognized a couple of bikes and faces, namely my brothers. I knew the B 50 in that add was his old B 50 MX that we converted to a street bike in the '80s so I looked at the FB page and I guess he is behind that group. I also saw a couple of my old friends and former bikes that I owned over the years.

I guess you lose touch with people when life happens.