1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

That's why we have MotoGP :)

The biggest reason no SBK is not in D200 any longer is due to tire tech.

TurboBlew, R1M370 and grasshopper like this.
  2. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

See if you can find the Video,, Go-Show had one of the biggest get offs I've ever seen there
    when the rear blew in testing/practice...
    He was not hurt bad but white as a ghost for the next couple days... (Mladin too @ 185+mph)

3. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Nascar been running restrictor plates at Daytona 500 for like 35 years now.

badmoon692008, stk0308 and backbone like this.
  4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I think it was Spies who had the get off and then set a distance record for sliding all the way down the straight to one of the NASCAR turns. He ended up with 2nd (?) degree burns on his ass from all the heat.

Bloodhound likes this.
  5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah but aren't the 750 restricted

Hey wouldn't it be neat if everyone was riding unrestricted 750 super bikes like the old days.

And yeah the liter bikes are too fast for the banked turns.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Spies and the Boz Bros all had nasty get offs around the same time period. Lots of lost flesh.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yeah I doubt many would do it. Unless MA made the points count towards the championship.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Just to be clear tire technology has dramatically improved and keeps improving each year. And I'm not saying that the current big bike Daytona spec rears will or will not go 17 laps on a full SBK. I just think the cost/risk/reward for the organizers, teams, riders, and tire companies isn't there for a one-off race.

From a cost standpoint someone has to rent Daytona for the 2-day test, and what's that 60k? The RRW fund has to bring/install the air-fence and monitor it. The teams have to pay staff and travel costs associated for the test, and what if bikes crash or motors blow up? Tire companies have to spend MORE R&D costs at the factory, bring 8 or more different constructions to test, and they too have to pay staff and travel costs.

All this for a race with maybe 300 people in the stands, in a market where sportbike sales are in the shitter, and if you want to watch it on TV you have to pay for it?

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

A very reliable source told me that he actually crapped in his leathers. :D

SpeedWerks Racing likes this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

If there's any reason to shit your pants 185+ sliding on your ass at Daytona is probably it.

12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

It's still the Cup cars though right?

13. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

True- and with the electronics now they could neuter the superbikes to run the tires. But like others have said, there are what 10 legitimate superbikes in Motoamerica? I'll take 40 supersport bikes over that.

badmoon692008, pjdoran and RichMangus like this.
  14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Anybody that actually watched the last few Daytona 200s and thought the racing wasn't exciting isn't worth having an argument with. And I mean the whole race, not just the edge of your seat drafting class the guys put on the last lap.
    Oh, and go get 'em JH4.

15. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

And what are the lap times of the 1000s vs 600s? I can’t tell the difference. From my vantage point it’s just good racing

pjdoran likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

First year on a 600 at Daytona...Last year's twin champ!

17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Saw ‘Ski do it the same in 91 (I think). IIRC Mad Dog bike. FZR1000 that may or may not have had an OW01 motor. Chunked the back tire, rubber got caught up in the swing arm, locked the rear and sent him into the long slide.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Shit, from what I can tell, the people bitching didn't even watch it at all. At least if they watched it and then said it sucked, maybe I could respect their opinion a little bit. But not even watching at all then bashing it... SMH.

Gino230 and grasshopper like this.
  19. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

grasshopper likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet oddly neither of those is run with the premier race cars....Those would be F1.