1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The conditions I heard about in the chicane would make as much sense as fluid. Add in the back pack of crashers getting spooked (rightfully so) by the carnage and making even a little but of a jerky move on the bike and down they all go. It'll definitely feel like fluid to them too even though it isn't.

regularguy likes this.
  2. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

How bout dem Pirelli's!!!

KneeDragger_c69 and Nathey like this.
  3. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

The respect thing for sure. My first time dealing with MA and had a couple of questions and the person I asked was quite rude. I asked another of the TECH guys and he was very helpful. With the nickel and dimeing I saw going on there were some people that won't be back.

Just my $.02

KneeDragger_c69, drop and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I swear I read this earlier in this thread, but can't remember where. Are the tires for the Daytona a special construction or are they the same as any consumer can buy. If they are a special construction is there any information on the web about what makes them different? I have searched for this information but everything I have found is pretty vague.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

For Dunlop at least, they are special construction in that they are dual-compound. The fronts that Dunlop brought were 2662 (soft) on the left side and 0129 (super-soft) on the right side. Dunlop had two options for the rears, a 0097 (soft) on both sides or an 0585 (medium-hard) on the left and 0129 (super-soft) on the right.

I think you can buy them through any race supplier, but you'd have to special-order them as they're not something anyone stocks for anything other than D200.

dazo likes this.
  6. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, not trying to buy any, just trying to settle a friendly wager!

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as posted above, Daytona spec tires are very specific to the Daytona speedway.. ya do NOT wanna use them at any other facility. Dunlop and Pirelli have obviously had D-spec tires for years, Michelin developed a Daytona spec tire a couple years ago now. The typical race rubber for all other tracks COULD be used at Daytona, but once you got going under 2:00 a lap, that's when trouble started. I sprint raced on our softest rubber (Michelin) for years, in the 5 lap sprints ccs put on. If it was hot out and sun beating down, chunks/blisters would start peeling off after just a few laps. the "advantage" was, i could go like hell for the first two laps and try and get out front (unless we had a real fast guy in the race) as the guys on Daytona spec tires, didn't have the off the start pace as the tire was much harder compound/construction. Did team challenge a couple times for practice (good deal actually as practice time is pretty limited) and came in a couple times with cell phone sized pieces missing .. got interesting turning left those last few laps before i'd come in! LOL ! the d-spec all the tires mfg put out today, are incredible..

TurboBlew and dazo like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Standard fronts are typically used by Pirelli but the rears normally have special carcass and tread materials besides asymmetrical compounds and I would guess the competitor would do the same? I think just making a dual compound tire doesn't make it a "Daytona" tire?

MELK-MAN, tophyr and dazo like this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'm not aware of any special carcass or tread constructions in the Dunlop line, but I didn't ask. I do know that Dunlop uses its compound codes very specifically and intentionally (so that when 'soft' changes, it gets a new compound code for example). So, the fact that the compound codes are ones I'm familiar with indicates to me that it's the same construction but just dual-compound.

But, I'm just an engineer-minded racer, I don't actually know anything special.

dazo likes this.
  10. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! First time watching the Daytona 200, thought it was awesome, and have been stoked to learn about what goes on behind the scenes.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The twins had an 097/097 DT rear which pretty much everyone used. I asked Dunlop what's the difference from the standard 097. They said same carcass and compound, but less rubber for better heat dissipation, and would be fine to use at other places. If they had an 0585/0455 rear, I would have bought some for endurance.

12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Hot Presser:

Daytona 200 Recap

It was another Daytona 200 to remember with Pirelli not only taking the win, but #PirelliNation riders also made it a Pirelli podium sweep for the first time in history! TOBC Racing’s Brandon Paasch claimed the coveted Daytona 200 trophy aboard his Triumph which was equipped with a 120/70R17 DIABLO Superbike SC2 front and 190/60R17 Daytona rear tire.

Attack Performance Yamaha rider Cam Peterson came up a very slim 0.007 seconds short to finish second, followed by fellow South African Sheridan Morais in third aboard his Syntainics / Penz13 racing machine.

Not only did Pirelli take the podium sweep, but #PirelliNation made up six of the top eight finishers!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

So it looked like Dunlop, Pirelli, and Michelin had Daytona Special tires.
    Bridgestone didnt, but I also dont know if anyone ran it.

My friend had issues with a Michelin this year, tire was falling apart and bike was vibrating. Surprisingly still had grip.

14. backbone

backbone scarred for life

39psi?

15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

rear tires only, and i believe they're only made in 180-200 sizes.

if you have more info on that michelin tire, PM me

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Pirelli had a podium sweep in 2008, the year before the spec tire rule. Attack (Rapp and Attard maybe?) had two spots and Barney was on a Hammer bike.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

did he run a Daytona specific michelin? lots try to get away with a typical tire.. Jason Disalvo ran the Michelin Daytona tire in the D200 a couple years ago, and myself and others have ran it there. it's really darn good. Having the right tire pressure is important too. Especially having it a couple psi higher than ya run at any other track. just like some guys do on the other daytona spec tires.

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

You met my friend Simon. He always works the chicane and deals with lots of crashes. The chicane surface is sketchy if cool and/or tires aren't fully heated.

tophyr and koth442 like this.
  19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Thought about it a minute (or however many minutes is too long to edit a post) and that was 07. 08 was the year Josh won on the Honda, but had the (bullshit) DQ. The history books are a Pirelli sweep in 08 with Chaz, Rapp and Pegram, but Hayes won the race.

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

One rider on Bridgestone.