1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Information - Schedule/Rules/Whatever

Discussion in 'Announcements/Information' started by Mongo, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Going with a generic title as I'll throw everything in here as I get it sorted.

First up - added Buttonwillow August 15-16 to the schedule.

Going to try and add an Endurance at Roebling at the July event but have to get details sorted before that is a 100% done deal.

Changed up the Cycle Jam so it's National and Sportsman Points both days.

We're going to do qualifying this year for two classes - A Superbike Expert and C Superbike Expert at all events - we will do it for the Nationals as well in WERA Superbike and 600 Superbike Expert.

Qualifying will really be a timed practice setup from the second practice round each day. If you don't get out there for any reason you go to the back of the grid. If you aren't timed for any reason you go to the back of the grid. If there is some freaky act of god type issue where we can't get times we will grind on points. Those two classes will also be getting an extra couple of laps. That means the Novices will too when they're combined.

Now the bad news, we have to pass on some increases in costs at four tracks. Road Atlanta, PittRace, Auto Club Speedway and Barber Motorsports Park are all so much more expensive than the others we have to increase the fees at those venues by $45 for the first entry. Trust me we absolutely hate doing it but it's the only way to keep those tracks viable for us to run at. Just as an example Barber is going up 4k and the ambulance costs are going to I believe double due to a new contract they have with the city, great for the fire guys but ouch on our end... It is of course Barber and worth it but we have to pass on the costs.

For all events we will be bumping the 2nd on down entries $5 but the first will stay the same as past years. GNF pricing will be it's own deal as usual and that will go out with the GNF letters later in the season.

On a much much more positive note there will be purse/points fund money in WERA West in A Superbike Expert and C Superbike Expert to go along with the Q sessions and laps this year due to some amazing work by people out there. More details and an official thanks naming them will come from the boss later on but I can't help spill the beans a little

Much more later as I get the things in my head that are fuzzy a bunch clearer and make sure I have the details right...

R/T Performance likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Damnit I thought the other was the right thread to ask in!
    What's the cost for first entry with the increase?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Totally my fault for not locking that one sorry.

For just those tracks it'll be $150 pre, and I think it's $170 post entry. The other tracks it'll stay 105/125.

I'll try to get the fees page edited tomorrow to reflect the changes.

Also while I'm thinking about it - due to new paypal regs any pre entries done through there will no longer be 100% refunded as they'll be keeping their fees so it'll be less whatever those are for the transaction.

hinshaw929 and noles19 like this.
  4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'm one of the guys that thinks some things could be changed to attract more racers.

But with these tracks keeping on raising rates, and just like here, it has to trickle down, it pushes alot of people away. I'm sure this will effect some. I know in this instance it's a must do, and I'm sure you all do hate it. Especially raising it that much. It's crazy to me, that some of these places, try to get rich off every single event rather than prolong the future. If trackdays and bike racing go away, it's a huge loss on their part. Unfortunately it's a sad reality that it's only going to get worse. Not dogging this at all but I'd bet the gnf will be 200 for the first entry.

I hope nothing but the best, and I'll be there when I'm able.

5. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Thanks for the follow up.
    Working out a mutually agreeable schedule can be challenging...

Let us know when ACS registration is open.

6. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Sean - The contingency page on WERA.com still shows 2018. Is there an update for 2020 or does it carry over the same?

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding sportsman points to Road A!!

Prices needed to go up, just glad we have a Quality Org to race with!

8. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'd rather have an entry fee increase than see tracks of that quality fall off the schedule.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I totally agree and we are trying some stuff to attract riders. On the tracks we're basically screwed because of popularity. The upside is they care more about safety and we truly are racing at some amazing venues compared to the old days but it costs a bunch more. Of course that depends on what you compare it to I guess, tires used to be 100 a set and last a couple few weekends, our fees haven't gone up close to the amount those have.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Should be this week, sorting out a few details so I can get all the new stuff on the schedule and chasing some mouse munching in the rv while it's nice out... Really could use summer levels of daylight :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There will be an update for sure. Emily is collecting the info right now and then I'll get it all typed in. So far she's told me that Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Honda are paying all Sportsman rounds which rocks. Same as last year, Sunday only on DH weekends.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless anyone figures out how this could screw up the classes these are the probable E & F rules for 2020. Basically bumping F to allow the 300/390's and bumping E for the 400's. Also allowing the Honda in with the 400s - that's the part I do have a slight concern about.

E SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE
    Up to 400cc 4-stroke air or water-cooled twins
    Up to 375cc 4-stroke air or water-cooled singles
    *There will be no bodywork or tire limitations in E Superstock. E Superstock bikes do not need to have DOT approval. The Honda CBR500R is allowed and must follow Superstock rules.

F SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE
    200-350cc 4-stroke air or water-cooled twins
    200-375cc 4-stroke air or water-cooled singles
    *No bodywork restrictions.
    *No engine modifications allowed
    *All bikes may upgrade to 17” wheels so long as they do not weigh less than the stock wheels for that model.
    *Kickstand mounts may be cut off of frame.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have no dog in this hunt, but why would you allow a 400cc twin in E, but only a 375cc single? That doesn't make much sense.

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pre entry refunds - we used to be able to do a full refund through Paypal for no show entries however they've changed that so they will charge us the handling fees no matter what, which means we have to pass those on to you. So now any now show will be refund minus whatever paypal charges (same as the ones we do manually as the CC company doesn't refund us either when we write a credit).

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Find me a single cylinder street bike above 375cc that should be allowed in and I'll go from there. Until there is one I'm not opening a can of worms but want it clear the KTM 390 is allowed.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 9, 2020

Further Information: WERA (770) 720-5010

WERA WEST SPORTSMAN SERIES PRESENTED BY LUCAS OIL ADDS A PURSE IN A AND C SUPERBIKE CLASSES FOR 2020!

For 2020 the WERA West Sportsman Series presented by Lucas Oil will have qualifying in the A and C Superbike Expert Classes and add 2 laps to each of those Classes. Thomas Asseo’s Fresh n’Lean, Lo Thao’s Calishine Racing, Terry Heard’s Cha Cha Cha Motorsport, Greg Arnold’s Capit Tire Warmers and Gigi Chow of Fastrack Riders and 61 DTC (Pirelli Tire Vendor) have put up a total purse of $20,000.00. Gigi Chow is also working on this project to secure more sponsorship and will host Saturday night BBQs for the riders.

The purse will be paid out as follows – it will be divided between the 6 rounds (Buttonwillow has been added on August 15/16, 2020) with 1st place receiving ($500.00) 30%; 2nd place receiving ($330.00) 20% and third place receiving ($250.00) 15% - 20% will be divided equally ($125.00 between 3 riders randomly picked who participated and finished the race. The balance of ($500.00 per round) 15% will go into a year-end championship award in the two classes. In addition to the purse, 61 DTC will have a Pirelli Contingency plan for all classes for the 2020 race season.

“We are very excited and thankful for this support from the racing community and our wish is to grow this sport and make it exciting for everyone. I can’t thank Thomas, Lo, Gigi Terry and others enough for all they did to make this happen,” said Evelyne Clarke, CEO and Owner of WERA Motorcycle Roadracing.

WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was founded in 1973 and remains the foremost place to develop talent in the sport of motorcycle Roadracing. The legacy of Pro riders on a National and World level is legendary. All events are run by WERA Motorcycle Roadracing and are co-sanctioned by the AMA. Racing is offered coast to coast with entry level racing in the WERA Sportsman Series as well as a Pro-Am Series with the Pirelli/WERA National Challenge Series as well as WERA Vintage Racing also this year our 2018 Triple Crown + 1 with MotoAmerica as well Endurance Racing with our Track Day partners N2 and Sport Bike Track Time. WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was voted the 2017 AMA Track Organizer of the Year. There is something for everyone with WERA Motorcycle Roadracing!.

05Yamabomber and Phl218 like this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

DRZ400SM? MZ Skorpion? OK, I got nothin' but stuff that would get it's ass kicked by the R3, Ninja 300/400. It still seems weird to limit singles to less displacement than twins.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's because those classes do not require DOT approval and there are some fast singles out there while the twins are all slow as shit - relatively. For example, bumping it to 450 could allow in YZ or WR450's - yes I know the SS rules would keep them from a full SM setup but those are the kinds of worms that will come out of the can if opened.

For example at one point the Clubman rules allowed the Ducati Supermono :D

19. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

So you're killing the 250 class as they will not be competitive with the 300's.

And the Ninja 400 now has 4 classes to race: E, Dstock, Dbike, and clubman. Plus LWT for the really quick kids

Killswitch likes this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive seen a fat middle aged man on a 250 whip up on some 300's........jus' sayin'.