1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 IOMTT Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, May 23, 2019.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Eastern time.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Got a vid a few minutes ago from a friend on Bray hill.. Looks like this evening's practice will be a go.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

ITV4 has shown a couple of great programs leading up to the races.

One Three Five - Breaking The Barrier
    "A look at TT 2018 and the build-up to the final lap of the final race and the breaking of the 135 mph lap record. Dean Harrison and Peter Hickman look back at their epic duel on Senior Race Day and look at what came together to break the 135mph barrier."

The Greatest Race: Hislop v Fogarty
    The 1992 Senior TT is regarded by many as the greatest TT race of all time. We look at the background to the race that saw two former factory Honda riders go against their previous employer on unfancied machines and deliver a thrilling six lap, 227-mile race that saw them finish just 4.4 seconds apart. Hear from Carl Fogarty himself and many others involved in this remarkable race.

stk0308 likes this.
  4. joec

joec brace yourself

Ugh..... Likely going to be cancelled this evening..hmmmm

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

6. joec

joec brace yourself

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Looks like no bikes out today. I wish the weather would cooperate.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The IOM is particularly brutal to twins, for kind of the same reason that "no two cylinders have ever won Daytona" - it's a two-hour endurance race that favors top-end power over low-end grunt.

Aprilia has done well in the recent past, with Splitlath + Mark Miller and with their Norton powerplants, but cost is another factor to consider. The IOM breaks shit you'd never imagine, just by its bumps.. you need to have a lot of spares.

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/why-are-there-no-ducatis-at-the-isle-of-man-tt.html

cpettit likes this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Yeah but that new Duc V4R might be a ringer in a superstock class.

11. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think one of the major points for a motorcycle at the TT is it has to be easy to ride. The Honda Fireblade being a good example which explains why it was so successful. Ducati makes bikes which operate within a tiny window and that doesn't work at the TT. IMO the BMW is the king of the moment. JHS Racing dyno'd a bone stock S1000RR 196hp at the wheel. BMW is serious about winning at the TT.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

mike w likes this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

scottn and Mot Okstef like this.
  15. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Hence the *cough *cough ;)

We really need a sarcasm smilie around here. :)

16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And yet, the record books will always show a Ducati twin won the Daytona 200.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nobody cares. It's TT time and Ducati ain't there. :moon:

Another washout today. :(

tophyr likes this.
  18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well, it took 2 Ducati twins to win it, actually.

Mot Okstef, tophyr and Robin172 like this.
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

It's times like this that I'm glad I haven't spent the money to go. I know there's other stuff, but i want to watch racing.

I'm guessing these issues don't affect the classic as much.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup: