1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Contingency: No Dunlop support?!

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by 05Yamabomber, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Wow, I have been out of racing for 18 years and now just dipping back in this year. I dont see the 2018 contingency posted yet, but looking at the 2017 and Bridgestone is the only vendor paying?

Man, when I did WSMC Michelin would pay $500 Michelin bucks for 1st place back in 2000.

I have switched to Dunlops last year and am happy with them, but was surprised to not see any contingency for Wera (maybe I am just missing it).

I have never liked Bridgestone and would rather get no payout then run those.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You obviously have been out of racing for a while. The Bridgestones aren't remotely like they were then. They're as good or better depending on the tire and use as any other brand.

And yes, Bridgestone is the only tire maker paying contingency.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes, 18 years away from actual racing. I have ran Bridgestone slicks and just dont like the feel of the front compared to Michelin and Dunlop. Plus if its not broke dont fix it. Thanks for the response. Looks like Pitbull may be my only option this season.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You might want to consider the Bridgestone. They are supposedly even better now, but a few years ago when my kid was running them, he set some track records on them with both a RS125 and an SV650. I didn't buy tires for 2 years, and when he went to run AMA, we had to switch to Dunlops, Tyler had about $2000 in credits left over.

I don't know if there is a local presence anymore, Tige Dane from Cycle Mall was the guy and he got out of it when he closed his shop and moved away. @stickboy274 will ship them to you, and is extremely knowledgeable about them.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Not having trackside support sucks too. Thats why I went to Dunlop from Michelin. Tired of having to order tires and pay extra for mounting. I will have to give the B-stones a try. I know some guys swear buy them.

Rob, your son is probably fast no matter what tire he is on! :)

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I thought pirelli was too? And Michelin? No ?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Certain vendors might but the companies as a whole are not.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Here's what happened. The North American motorcycling including road racing changed 10 years ago when the economy tanked. In 2009 we found that we sold less tires but paid more in contingency and lost money. So we were the first to drop contingency and to move forward our obvious choice was to lower tire prices. If I remember correctly we lowered road race tire prices by about 18 to 20%. The benefit to ALL racers (not a select few) was tires instantly became less expensive. And to this day Pirelli race tires are generally less expensive than they were in 2009.

Back then the top ten new motorcycles sold for the year were 7 big Harley models, the Gold Wing, the Ninja 250 and R6. 2 years later the sport bikes fell off the top ten list, and till this day there are no sport bikes on it. Harley is losing market share and new bike sales over the last 5 years is terrible, and still struggling big time.

The North American motorcycle tire industry is in the same boat, stagnant or with sales decreases. So while the stock market is helping my retirement and doing excellent thank you very much, the m/c industry is in a strange place and struggling. When tire companies see that sport/road racing tires are such a tiny percentage of the ALL tires sold in combination with a declining market you should be able to understand the reasoning.

Finally Pirelli road racing has two distributors and they have vendors across the country that sell and service at track days and races on any given weekend. Your local vendor is at the races weekend after weekend so you get professional service and advice when you need it the most and at a fair price, and this is the key. Riders need service before, during, and after the sale. So choosing a tire is about quality service, support, product range with the correct compounds, with the tire feel and feedback you like AT the racetrack.

Hope this helps, hey it's half past beer time! :timeforabeer:
    Jeff

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Dunlop lowered prices when they dropped contingency a few years ago. I saved a little bit of $$ that way. They went back up a little bit when new tires were released.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Pneumatico,
    thanks for the insight. Yes we all know the industry as a whole is in the shitter. I wish I could blame it on DMG, although they made it worse it was just coincidence that the economy played a part in the decline of the sport as we see the problem globally and not just in the US.

I agree that service is a big part and all the vendors that are present are very helpful regardless of your situation or status. That was the only reason I stopped using Michelins as they just had no presence at the track anymore. (and getting rid of the amazing V profile front!) but I am ok with lowering prices for everyone and getting rid of the contingency. I have noticed the tire prices creeping over $400 again for a set of slicks. I think that is the breaking point. Especially when you want to compete for a season. But for the $40 for first place on Bridgestones, I will just stay with what I know and trust. The only crash at the track that was partially laying blame on the tires where Bridgestones. Yes 23 years ago but that was a sour taste.

Hope we can find a way to get our sport strong again. Kids now-adays dont even want a car, let alone throw a leg over a bike. Theres no App for that...

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Actually DMG had an idea 10 years ago that might have had some steam. They (Roger Edmondson) was smart enough to realize that cruiser bikes were the majority of the market so they approached industry peeps and proposed a V-twin/cruiser race class, so like NASCAR. Although it never went anywhere at least the idea was there right?

Like I said earlier Pirelli has tried very hard to keep prices low and they are still less than 10 years ago, but the performance has improved SO SO much since then. And no matter what any of the others say Pirelli US sells you the same product to race on as they do in the world championship. So when you look at it that way the tire technology and performance is cheap, even at 400 a set. And if you don't think this is true go to Laguna WSBK and watch them race on the same stuff you buy.

Then go compare motorcycles road or dirt racing to boats, race cars, or airplanes and motorcycles are still a great value. Ride safe!

ekraft84 and 05Yamabomber like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It didn't? I thought that that's what this was?

[​IMG]

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ahh no that was or is a Sportster spec class that started in the 90s as the 883 series. And FYI those Harleys are NOT cruisers but considered a sport bike in the big picture. They were going outside of the box (and not a spec class) to reach out to ALL manufacturers, so as I said a V-Twin cruiser race class

14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Racers Edge!!!

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, I'll get the info up later today. Very cool of Dale!

track wagon likes this.
  16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

That I was cashing in with my 3 race wins last weekend running Dunlops but only had 5 riders in my class in each of my races... Grrr.. Hopefully Vegas will have more entries.