1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 FZR400 fuel pump running constantly

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Metalhead, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'll check that. I haven't looked that close yet. Just noticed the fluid on the caliper late yesterday.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Welp, you was right. The right fork seal is leaking. Personally, I was hoping for a leaky caliper. I've fixed those before. never done a fork seal. FML.

3. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

easy shmeezy, once you get the damper rod bolt out. you'll need an impact or a shovel handle and a bad disposition.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

So, I should get the o lady to do it for me?

:D:clap:

5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

She got really big, strong hands?

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Send me a note when you are ready to pop forks apart and I'll send pics of an easy to make tool that will make you the king of FZR fork seals.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

A pre-printed shipping label to a suspension shop? :D

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

^^^ Ahhhahahahaha

So fuel pump noise??

And yeah I didn't think of that with the fork seals... That was like... Duhhhhh, he already checked that right?

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I heard that shit!:mad::down:

:crackup:

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Weird.

I unplugged the fuel pump and pulled the relay just dicking around. Put em back, and, it primed hard, but shut off after about 6 seconds. Strange.

Yeah, definitely a right fork seal leaking. I guess I'm about to learn some NEW shit.:D

11. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Did you check the connectors for FGS? If just unplugging and plugging back in "fixed" you may have cleaned up a connection just enough to make if work.

FGS = Funky Green Shit

12. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

This is normal.

13. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

And now I don't think I'm getting any gas to the carbs on your old bike Mr. Metalhead! Lol been having lots of fun on this bike the past 18 months. Had back surgery this spring and she sat. Going through her now. If I pull the gas line from the fuel rail and activate the fuel pump; gas should spurt out right? Or is vacumn needed from the carbs?

14. bsanorton

She still lives!

Attached Files:

Phl218 likes this.
  15. bsanorton

Oops, nevermind, I took the gas tank off and drained the tank from the top, the friggin brown crap that came out was awful. Never had anything this bad.
    Most have been building for awhile. Time for a tank clean, lines, filters replaced, total carb clean and cross my fingers its it

16. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

RiTchie was not the best Mechanic. I had to deglaze the front pads when I bought that bike from him for a test ride. Talk about scary. I wondered where that bike ended up. Good luck!

Phl218 and Killswitch like this.
  17. bsanorton

Lol. I bought it from Steve over in Middleburg FL From my track days as a novice it runs great. The good news is after I cleaned the carbs and hung an external tank it started right up and ran as normal. Need to clean the tank which I'm very familiar in the process and new gas filter