1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Corn” Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, Dec 31, 2017.

1. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Anyone use these in a garage? I have a 3 car with 3 sockets and I’m not sure what wattage I should be looking at. Want it to be bright but not too obnoxious. Thanks

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

For my garage I use the old fashion incandescent bulb. A 400w in center and two 200w on either side. I like the light better plus those corn leds are mega $$$pricey and for the time I’m out in garage I don’t think I’d get the return on them.

3. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Corn lights are great. My old garage had four fluorescent light fixtures. My new 2.5 car garage has 3 corn lights and it is almost as bright. So much easier than those big fixtures too.

I use the 5000k 20w ones. They are a very white light. I had 30w ones for a while but they are kind of hard on the eyes. The output varies by brand, so a cheap 30w might be equivalent to my 20w ones.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Most corncobs are used in lot lighting and wallpacks. I have seen them in recessed and keyless fixtures in garages, personally I wouldn't use them.

If it's just general lighting you need, any high wattage equivalent lamp will give you a bunch of light without the hot spots of corncobs. Alternately, you could run LED ready "fluorescent" tube fixtures and get a better light spread than single lamp can give.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Pictures? I’m cornfused

Got neon lights in the shop, they suck. Hard to find good 90” ones

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

speedluvn and Phl218 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ha! Thanks!!!

Wondering if I’m gonna shell out the $ for a 90” led...

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Damn. Just saw this one:

[​IMG]

That looks like it could be cool for customizing light dispersal.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Not a standard size. LED tubes are going to be fluorescent equivalent sized, you sure you don't have a 96" fixture?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Edit: dammit 'foo, where's your damn post? :mad:

42000 lumens, damn well ought to be.

Did 18 150w high bays in a 5000 sq foot production/warehouse space, plus 8 4-lamp T8 8' strip fixtures. Few more shadows than I would have liked, but they ran up against budgets and didn't have a real floor plan to work from.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I put 5 of these in the garage. 3 where the standard 2 bulb round fixtures were and 2 I put on motion detectors and took the incandescent bulbs out of the garage door openers. I got no shadows in the garage and it's day light bright.

Way more light for half the power consumption. I took out 10x60 watt bulbs and these use 68 watts a piece.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Did that open? I couldn't get it to. Here...

Had 6 of these put in a 30x30 garage of mine...

Attached Files:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Also for your shopping pleasure...

Color temp is important. Higher temps make for higher contrast, and more pronounced shadowing. Lower temps make a softer light that seems more "even".

I go for the higher temps and more sources to eliminate the shadows and give everything strong contrast.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Opened for me, had to bounce from Safari to Chrome on my phone to view it but BFD.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I see that the dimmable flat fixtures require a 0-10v dimmer. Do those function as just a dimmer separate from the on/off wall switch?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did an LED swap from fluoros in the kitchen and absolutely love it. Nuked the ballasts and rewired around where they were and that was it.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Completely different.

Takes another pair of wires from the switch to the fixture's driver.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

How is the re-wire done? Do you re-route the wires to bypass the ballast or is there something else to it? I've tried searching a while back but never found the info I needed, I've got several flouros in the basement that never seem to want to start when I flip the switch...

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Depends on the lamp. There are single mode, dual mode and triple mode lamps.

The ones I generally get are triple mode. Ballast driven or 120v driven, single-ended or double-ended. If you're replacing T12, you'll need double ended if you don't want to replace your tombstones. Most T8 are double ended too, but as long as the ballast is good you can use a ballast driven lamp (Sylvania's SubstiTUBE is the most common ballast only lamp I've seen).