1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackoholics bashes Dan Sheehan

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian Van, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Yes that's what happened. He turned in early and went off in 10a where the ground drops off from the track. Dan went off right there, bent both rims, smashed his nuts and came back on. Dave just happened to be there when he did.

End result was that it is a racing accident. I know Brian saw it happen. Dave will get the bike fixed and will be ready to do it again next year.

2. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

This is a bad situation all the way around. But for Jim to trash Dan the way he has (even if it is on his own web site) shows a serios lack of class. Dan tried to appologive immediately after the crash and Jim said "don't even come down here" and turned Dan away. I think Jim is more upset than Dave. Dave recently posted that there were no hard feelings and that that was racing. I'm not sure what has happened since that post but it has to stop. I am glad Brian pointed this out. I hope Jim and or Dave will contact Dan and get this resolved before we have to start a
    "DAN SHEEHAN LEFT MY BEDROOM A MESS" thread.
    Dan's # is 513-200-2268 email [email protected]
    Mine is 513-518-0979 email [email protected]

Scott Sheehan #50

3. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

i was a few second behind them and missed it, i just saw daves bike tumbling.

i think dave has a right to be pissed, but dan apologized. i think its a part of racing as shitty as it sounds, and shit happens.

bashing Dan on the team website is overboard and not very professional. ive met everyone and they all seem like excellent guys. hopefully its taken off the site or edited and everyone can race next season without a grudge if its not too late.

btw, i dont think all of this is dave's doing, so i wouldnt jump down his back. he doesnt do the team race report write-ups, so its probably just someone else's veiw on the whole story. :Poke:

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I was reading this and wasn't going to chime in, but I've got a couple questions ..

- Did Dan Sheenan run off the inside of the apex of 10A? If so, wouldn't he then be heading towards the guard rail/pit out? Isn't the only direction back onto the track to the left?

- So Dave Theil was behind Dan right? If a rider saw this happen, wouldn't you expect that the rider would be coming back to the left to avoid the guardrail leading onto the straight? Maybe I've got my info mixed, but if I were following Dan, I probably would have checked up, knowing that he only had one place to go. Again, that's just me and I could be off here.

(on a sidenote, in 2003, when my whole season was based around going to the GNF, I specifically made sure to try and not do anything stupid that would jeopardize my chances at getting down there. Not saying that this didn't happen here, or that the situation was even avoidable, but maybe pushing for one place higher isn't worth jeopardizing a potential National Championship. Again, just typing out loud here).

- Do either guys' have a reputation for riding dirty?

I know last year (at Grattan ironically) when my dad got taken out by another rider, I was irate. Breeden had numerous complaints of riding dirty and this was just another notch in the belt for him, and I was pissed. So in that regard, I can see where Jim is coming from. However, if both guys are generally clean riders, then it would appear as a racing incident. I don't know if anything happened to Breeden after our incident, but most of the girls in scoring knew about his reputation as word gets around about those kind of riders. I DO agree with Jim that riders who race carelessly should be penalized earlier rather than later. There shouldn't be any place for that and I'd be 100% in favor of anything that penalizes those kind of riders harsher.

Jim's a very passionate individual. He enjoys what he does and definitely has strong feelings about it. It looks like he removed the text from the image (the Thanks Dan for ruining our season) which was definitely a smart move.

What I don't agree with Jim, is the shot at WERA and STT. I know you're mad and upset, but the fact that you guys run the series and help Nathan and Jonas really isn't that big of a deal in the big picture. You'll come to understand that as you get more experience in racing, but that paragraph in your report won't do anything to help prove your case; it only hurts. In the following paragraph you mention the word "professionally". If you truly want to achieve that, you should have handled the issue with WERA directly before really targeting a particular individual pretty hard. I mean, that text on the image in your report made me cringe. It was harsh.

Anyone happen to catch Wind Tunnel today? What's his name had a great bit about passing and racing. It was about clean passes, dirty passes, and how to tell one from the other. Man I'd quote the whole thing if I could find it somewhere. It fits this thread perfectly.

One last thing I would say is that Dave and Bojan (Trackoholics riders) should be on the same page with Jim. I personally don't think it's a good idea to have Dave be understanding of what happened, but then have Jim writing something different online. It doesn't make anybody look good. Sponsors can read the reports, other people talk, and word of mouth spreads pretty quickly. Overall nothing good comes of it. Sure it's good to let off steam (I know I did a fair amount on here before), but within reason.

Acting smart and professionally as a team is what seems to works. It seems in my bit of racing that the smart racers are the ones who make it more than the 2-3 year roadracer average. It's not the ones with the most talent, or the most money. Plenty of those guys drop off on their own. Racing's racing and it's not always fun. It downright sucks sometimes. Dust yourself off, get the bike fixed, and get down the Georgia for the GNF and do what you can. Complaining and ending the season on such a sour note will only make for an even longer and bitter winter.

Good luck.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My thoughts - I trust our Race Director to make the right call on situations like this at the track. If Sublet says it was a racing incident it is. If people choose to let their emotions run their business that's their business.

As far as WERA is concerned the incident is over and done with. As far as WERA is concerned the riders involved have handled it and any third parties should stay out of it.

Now as far as I'm concerned nothing will be deleted, if you don't want what you say quoted elsewhere then you need to be more careful of what you say BEFORE you say it....

6. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I spoke with Dave early last week and he seems fine with the whole situation, considering. I don't get the impression that he feels like the race report on the website. I would have to guess that was Jim's opinion not Dave's. I was there with them, I also saw Dan run a little wide in turn 4. I would by no means call his riding at that time dangerous. Racing is dangerous (that's the attraction) tiddilywinks is safe (that's why it sucks). Dave will heal up and fix his bike for sure. We will enjoy his company again next season.

7. Brian Van

I was rite there when the accident happened and totally agree with Sublet. Could have been anyone of us, you need to understand this before you take the track. And obdviously I agree with the King of this sandbox in reguards to being careful with what you say.

Oh and Jig you are welcome.

8. Jim is an odd guy, very odd, trust me. Those are his opinions and people should take them for what they are worth. This is the same guy that bashes other companies during tragedies, track management, etc, etc, then removes stuff from his website after. Sublet has been around plenty long to make the right call and people should respect that. If not go through the proper channels. How many times has Bojan crashed (no this is not to slam him, he's a GREAT rider), but someone could have been on the other end of one of those. People should respect WERA's calls, or at least funnel your disapproval appropritly. Enough typing, gotta pack, off to Cali.

9. thiel51

thiel51 Well-Known Member

handled

Dan and I spoke moments ago. we both have come to the agreement that either one of us could have done things different to avoid what happened. Thats water under the bridge now. Whats done is done. We both have shook hands (if thats possible over the phone) and put this behind us.

dave

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

excellent.

11. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

Dan will be taking his butt to the expert class next year anyway!!:D

Jim - What you put on your Web-site just cost you more $ than it will take to fix Dave's bike.:down:

12. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Re: handled

word...good to hear

13. canalroadracing

Dave, I understand that you and Dan have patched things up again. That's great! Dan has no hard feelings toward anyone and wants to get on with his WERA career. I would like to thank you for taking the time to call Dan and make it right between you guys.
    Thanks to all of you who have helped out on this matter.
    Scott Sheehan

14. canalroadracing

As for Jim, he is a total a$$hole and will continue to be as long as that B.S. is on his web site.
    Scott Sheehan

15. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

Still time for you guys to sign up for Jims not track day.:D

16. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

very cool!!! i'am glad this thing work out:beer:

17. NinerPilot

NinerPilot Well-Known Member

Wow! First thread I have read on here in a while, and boy is it a hot one... I just wanted to throw in that Jim is not an asshole, he is in fact a great guy. I can understand his frustration, and he may have overdrawn it a bit on his site, but that doesnt make him an asshole.
    Chris

18. Brian Van

Sorry, the caption on the picture alone makes Jim an asshole. This guy is supposed to be a representative of our sport, perhaps kind of an authority figure considering he is a trackday promoter. It is ok for him to feel this way, but he should have never put up all of that nonsense on HIS website. He needs to come on here and give Dan an apology for all to see just like the shit he hosted. I have ridden with him once and never will again unless he can man up.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just read the whole thing and have one question - when have I slammed trackdays?

20. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

Damn, I just read this thread for the first time. Wow.

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said. But Dan's a great guy and I would stick up for him at any time. And if you haven't been the victim of or the person that makes a terrible mistake, you probably will be at some point. I know I've had luck on my side several times when I've made a bad decision.

Anyways, you all know who to stick up for and who to dump beer on. Glad that everyone's ok and moving on.

Good luck to all you going to the GNF! :up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.