2001 XR70, wont start but I got spark, gas and a clean carb

Discussion in 'Tech' started by E=MC2, Aug 14, 2005.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

Ok, Ive got this xr70 stock except no spark arrester. It was running fine and my dad started it up and then he took off and it died, it wasnt warmed up enough. So he tried to start it and it hasnt started since. The spark plug is sparking, i took it out and you could see the spark going. The carb is clean took it apart and took out the two jets in the bottom, clean. Drained the carb hoping it was flooded, tried to start it, nothing. I kicked it so much that it was like it was running, except no combustion, not even one. I cant figure it out

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Kill switch on?

3. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I HAVE SPARK!!!!! if you have have the kill switch on the kill position your sparkplug will not produce a spark, such as the spark mine is producing.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

How about a fouled plug?

5. dtalbott

Well, then, if you have spark, air, gas, and the kill switch is in the run position, and it still won't run, you have a problem.

Check the gas and make sure there's no water in it.

Do me a favor. Just for giggles, flip the kill switch to the other position and kick it once or twice.

6. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

tried the kill switch the other way, didnt work. Im pretty sure theres no water in the gas. WHY!! ITS GAY. The plug is sparking so i dont think its fouled, but I could try a new plug. I even tried taking the air filter off just in case, but that didnt work

7. dtalbott

Gas turned on?

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Just because you have spark, does not mean you have a good plug. What does it look like? Black,brown, sooty?

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

kinda black (but dry) but I cleaned it right before I put it in and wehn I took it after I kicked it was still clean

but Ill get a new sparkplug when I have a chance

10. skinnyjim

skinnyjim Well-Known Member

And just because its sparks on the outside doesn't mean it sparks on the inside.

xr's usually does that just cuts off,won't start plug looks good ,put new plug starts up!

jim

11. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Ok Nick here is a freebie.....
    1. Spark at the right TIME?=
    stick finger in plug hole in head
    kick engine over
    it should go spark and pop your finger out at near the same time....
    2. a slight seize could stick the rings=no compression

12. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Hold the throttle open while kicking it - is the plug getting wet? then you know that it is getting gas to the cylinder. If it is dry, look for a kink in the gas line or something is blocked in the line / carb.

13. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

ya, the time is what i thought but how would it get off of its timing?

14. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Take spark plug out...squirt some gasoline directly in the cylinder, reinstall plug, hookup wire and then kick it. If it only runs for a few seconds then you know you're not getting fuel.

And be careful...keep a fire extinguisher handy.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You just told the wrong person to play with gas:D Nick will have a new experiment/contraption tomorrow..

J/K Nick,what's up with the xr?you gonna start racing 2 classes?:up:

16. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

UUUUHHHHH, SON! THey call me pim'n nick from da dirty sowf. I like fixin little bike cuz im crazy durty. All ya mechanics know my name. Yeah dats how I rollin, 36" grill and dem 24s. I look at da spark plug and the gap is sparkin, and when ya hold it from the cylinder head ya da blue line. But den i put it touchin da cylinder and I don see na spark in da gizzap. So im like damn its a ceramic lizzak, the spark be like uh i aint goin through the gap, i go throuh the ceramic and travel back. i hit the electrode and through that ceramic crack my electron self be on the cylinder head like smack. So i take my trx90 and get its plug put da sheet in and im like uhh, internal combustion son! I take it fo a night time victory neighbor wake up with no spark arrester 70 wha!! But there wasnt an air filta son, so there was no midrange it was lean as fug. So I come back to my gizzarage and then im like uh son best respect me cuz. Now I be typin cuz im the sheezee, and I fixin bikes like it be eZ.

17. bluedogz

bluedogz Loooooooo budget

You've been listening to Schump too much.

18. dtalbott

Good job, Mr. Lever.

19. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

w/e!

btw- do you think I could use a power commander on it to richen it?

20. dtalbott

Maybe.