1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any racers in Okinawa?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zanyeights, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Hey Guys and Gals...

I have been over here for a couple of weeks into my three year tour and ran across an org that runs some Motard racing but unfortunately my kanji is rusty (aw...who am I kindin I can't read a single lick of it!). If anyone is over here and knows where this is please point me in the correct direction...or if anyone can read the site and tell me where it is I would really appreciate it. You wouldn't think that on a 68 mile long island it would be hard to find but so far no luck.

http://www.racing-kikaku.com/orp-top2.shtml

Thanks.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where in Okinawa are you?

3. Zanyeights

Tha's kind of a loaded question.

I am the 3rd Medical Batalion, Charlie Company Commander up at Camp Schwab but I spend half my time at the BN CP on Hansen. I am living at Hansen for another week when I move into my house on Camp McT. My wife and kids will be over the first week in August.

Very cool so far. Hope to do a litle racing on the side if I can find a place. Very funny how you can get get decent used cars over here for $2K-$3K but bikes are still expensive. But there are a ton of Motard bikes screaming around. I am trying to learn enough Japanese to buy a bike and and do some racing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  4. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Stay away from Whisper alley....

I still have a rash from that place... And it's been 11 years since I left.

5. BiZ

Oh, but do go see the Banana Show... Ask any enlisted person who's been on the island longer then 6 months, they'll know what it is.

6. BiZ

7. Zanyeights

Sweet. Thanks for the info Sean. I am a little old for places that give you "rashes" and not sure the wife would appreciate it too much...lol

8. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

AH HA Falls was where we/all the locals ran on Sunday Mornings and Takoyama on Friday nights.

As well as the meeting place was the 21 store down at the sea wall.....

Ah, I miss my 2 strokes......

9. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

Ahhh, Whisper Alley, I was in a band in college named Whisper Alley. Our singer went over there with his grandpa for a WW2 reunion. He told us of this 'wonderful' place and thus the name of the band.

10. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

It's been a long while since I've been to Okinawa. I was in the Navy from '90 - '95 and stationed on Guam with VQ-1. We would det out to Kadena AF base. Most of the time I was there I was in the air or sleeping (from what I remember).

Funny part about the Navy (for me) was the whole time I was in I wanted out, however looking back I had a lot of good times, and do miss some of it. The actual flying is what I miss the most (flying as in aircrew not a pilot)

11. shonda

shonda Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Never been to Okinawa but I know Japanese language.

Looks like you'll first need to apply for license, all the forms are in Japanese... May be someone at the base can help you out?

MJF License application form:
    http://www.racing-kikaku.com/MFJmoto1lisenceapplication.pdf

Race entry form:
    http://www.racing-kikaku.com/entery/05entryform.pdf

They have a BBS, may be you can (or I can) post a message there to see if there's any English speaker in the club who can help you out.
    http://www.racing-kikaku.com/bbs/ezbbs.cgi

Rules:
    http://www.racing-kikaku.com/MFJmoto1regulation.pdf

Classes:

moto 1 (M-1)
    Street bike: 4 stroke over 400cc
    MX racer: 4 stroke over 251cc, 2 stroke over 126cc

moto 2 (M-2)
    Street bike: 4 stroke over 251cc-400cc, 2 stroke 126cc-400cc
    MX racer: 4 stroke 151cc-250cc, 2 stroke 86cc-125cc

moto 3 (M-3)
    Domestic street bike: 4 stroke 231cc-250cc

Let me know if you need any help.
    Good luck & have fun!

12. shonda

shonda Well-Known Member

13. Zanyeights

Shake...Thanks for the info on the runs.

Dmtalon...I know what you mean. When I was enlisted (commissioned four years ago, Went to Bootcamp Nov 1990) I used to hate it...hated being at sea and the whole operational environment. After I got Commissioned all I wanted to do was get back. Commissioned in the Medical Service Corps and the only real operational billets we have are with the Marines.

Shigeru...Thanks for the help. I just flew back to the states today as my Mother in Law passed away. Won't be back for a week or so but may email you for some assistance later. I have a buddy who met a Japense Woman last week and they seem to be hitting it off. She speaks great English so I am hoping they work out so I can get some translation help!!

Thanks again guys.

14. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

Dude,

The bike shop that took care of me over there was SPRINT. Ran by a cool guy named Agina Shan. Go out the back gate of Kadena (By the USO) head out past the Jap Cop Shop and down the hill. The shop is on a side road to your left.

That was from 91-93, so hopefully he is still alive.

15. Zanyeights

Thanks for the info. I know exactly where that is.

16. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Ryan
    Keep us posted on your racing exploits, please! I wasn't aware of any pavement racing on the isand when I was there (USMC @ Futenma '76, and again in '85.) Even by '85 sportbikes over 250cc were rare, and over 400cc almost non-existent. I ruled the roads on a XL600 Honda, until I met the first GSXR750 in late '85 ;)

We did take the XL600 on regular excursions over Oki & the small outlying islands. Our best trip was taking the XL, loaded like a pack-mule, on the RKK ferry to 'mainland' Japan for a two week tour through Kyushu & S. Honshu...amazing! Besides the fun of riding, interacting w/ the locals was a great way to pick up a little conversational Japanese skills, which enriched our experience immeasurably and was handy when tricking out the bike at the local shops.

LOL about the Kanji problem, as we discovered that in S. Japan, away from U.S. presence, none of the road signs had 'Romaji' letters. This necessitated use of the trip odometer to establish exact position on the map. By the end of the trip we discovered that we could recognize a half-dozen or so common Kana characters through trial & error :D

17. Zanyeights

Eric. Very Cool. There are quite a few big bikes over here and to be honest most seem to be owned by locals. The Supermoatrd is by far the most popular. I will probabaly go the route of the DS-SM or Dual sport model. They have a Kawaski version over here of the Suzuki partner bike called the D-Track. It is pretty sharp. But they are everywhere. I bet twice a week I get passed by a local on an SM on the rear wheel for a half mile. They have a blast.

As for the racing it looks like it is designed for full size motards on the pavement. I look forward to checking it out. In the results there are two American names so I am hoping to try and hook up with one or both to get me in the right direction.

I also found out this weekend that over on one of the islands you can get to over the causeway, they race bikes on a shifter kart track but not sure if they run pockets or minis. If they run minis, Honda puts out their XR80 and 100 over here in SM trim (and are street legal!). I am thinking about going that route. No matter what I might pick one up to take back with me (to use off road) as the price is decent and they are neat.

I will keep you updated. If my children weren't so young I would love to go on a long bike ride with my wife...but I would be sleeping on that bike if I took off on my own...:)

Ryan

18. q-rim

q-rim ***********************

To do all the Japanese tracks on my RS125 would be a dream...

Some day~

19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Hey Ryan,

When you blew up the rotax the last time I knew you'd be back sometime. Hope you hung onto your leathers and gear!

I've traveled in Japan several times for work and always found people to be helpful and friendly once you got by the language barrier.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

20. Zanyeights

Hey Joe,

Good to hear from you. I still have all my gear. It is currently in Stacy's basement but only because I didn't' trust the movers! I trutsted them with $5K worth of art but not my gear...tells you where my priorities are I guess.

I will never quit completely.

My goal is to do some endurance when I get back. Planning the economical route. A couple a year old 600 and running with good (hearted) teamates. I'll be lookin for you as a rider.

Keep me posted on your antics.

Ryan