1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you rescue a racing Greyhound?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jul 6, 2005.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Ditto Brian.... Our True (big male) and Michelle love their crates. Michelle goes in and then closes the door on herself...... Sort of like "Calgon take me awaaaay" The crates are their private space and we leave them alone when they go in there.

We have a small male, Riley, who is a spook. He was abused by his trainer or someone. We have figured out that it was a man with sunglasses a hat and gloves because that combination puts him on the moon. His safe place is a doggie bed.

2. wdavis009

wdavis009 Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to imply crating by pet owners is wrong. Just pointing out that that is all they know when they first arrive so they need to be given time to adjust to a normal life. Doesn't usually take very long. Within a few days of experiencing non-crate life ours wanted nothing to do with the crate anymore, except when he got scared (and then it was the first place he would go).

3. jenn305

jenn305 Well-Known Member

as grant said, we adopted a grey in april. he is the greatest!! sure we are haveing to teach him to be a dog - like sit, shake, fetch, etc, but he is the most loving dog i have ever had. i originally wanted a foo-foo dog that i could cuddle with and take around with me - but we ended up with the giant instead. he actually lets me cuddle with him on the couch and he loves to go for a car ride and to the pet store and in other social places that allow dogs. Rambo loves his crate at night. he sleeps in it at night, but he prefers the couch during the day. we would highly recomend adopting a grey - we would not trade him for the world. we adopted him straight from the track, but a lot of associations like the one in Columbia foster the greys and get them use to house life before he/she comes to you.

i would love to show you a picture, but i cannot get it to come up. anyone know how to post a pic?

4. Calamari68

Calamari68 Well-Known Member

Here are the pics of Sadie. And "I" wasn't the person that made her wear the costume!;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Sadie looks very much like my Grey, Kleo, but Kleo has more grey on her face & chest. In fact, her birthday is today. She is 8.
    I used to have 2 outdoor cats & if the cats were on the porch or standing in the yard, Kleo would "inspect" the cats, sniffing them & such, but if Kleo was off leash in the yard (fenced) & the cats were also in the yard, Kleo would chase. I even saw her slow down once, I suppose so she could chase the cat longer. She was never able, or maybe really didn't want, to catch one of the cats before they made it into the barn or under the fence.

A few weeks ago Kleo caught a rabbit in the yard though. It was awesome seeing her work to catch the rabbit, but of course I was sad at the same time that she caught the rabbit & it died later. We discovered a baby rabbit nest near the house the next day & all the babies ended up dying within the week, even though someone at a wildlife rehabilitation center thought they were probably weaned & might survive, but they wouldn't take the babies.

Kleo has been entered in 2 AKC Junior Courser tests & both times she received a passing score and she has her Junior Courser title. She is a great courser because she is not very large (60-65 pounds) and can turn on a dime. I have not entered her in any other lure coursing events because she has an old racing injury and I don't want her to re-injure herself, but I'm sure she would be a Field Champion for sure if the old injury wasn't a factor. She runs so much better than all the other breeds in the area except maybe some of the Whippets.

6. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

coursing

Alot of greys have been trained on live cats. dont let these dogs fool you into thinking they are all sweet an huggie. We have had 2 icidents in 10 years one included a trip to the ER for my wife an son...she got 6 stitches and he got 30 stitches. After that I kept birdshot in my .45. I had to use it one time an it didnt even seem to phase the dog. When you get more the 2 greys in a house they will devlope a pack mentality an they will fight for the alfa spot. Alot of people dont realize that when greys are in attack mode they are almost unstopable.
    we have fosterd over 70 greys an only had 2 incidents so i guess that isnt to bad

good luck
    aaron

7. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

I have two italian greyhounds. First one is from a breeder and the second one is a rescue. They need a ton of attention!

8. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

There must be a difference then between the IG's and the larger Greyhound cousins because mine doesn't need a lot of attention. If she wants attention, she will go to one of us to get attention, and most of the time that happens because it's time to potty or eat. But mostly she is napping all day & one may not even realise there is a dog in the house.

9. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Would you rescue a racing Greyhound?

Your dogs are beautiful. I found STT Staff this to work better though. ;)

10. WERA49

WERA49 Well-Known Member

11. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member