1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you rescue a racing Greyhound?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Just finished watching a show and beleive it would be a great addition. Has anyone had any experience with these retired racers?

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

people who used to rent my basement apartment back in canada adopted 2 of them. the first was a little skitish at first, but both dogs were great dogs! i wouldnt hesitate to get one if i wanted a greyhound.

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

We used to do some rescue work, but mostly do transports these days. Our yard is too small for a greyhound. :)

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

the people in my basement were in a small 1 bedroom apt with both those dogs - needless to say it was packed,lol. dogs were never a bit of a problem though.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I am a gentle giant lover.. Mastiffs, Wolfhounds, Dane's etc... And I just finished watching a special on these guys. As opposed to spending $1200 - $1400 for a puppy, I wondered about sharing my home with another "racer" :)

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

They are fantastic pets. My sister has one and a very good friend has two. We would have some ourselves, but we have two miniature greyhounds (10lbs.) that are easier to travel with (less space needed).

8. funksouljon

funksouljon Well-Known Member

When growing up, a family friend had a whippet (same as a greyhound). The dog was so quite and demure. Then like a rocket would run like the wind. Very sweet dog, I would imagine most of them would be good with kids.

Personally, I like other breeds, but would have no problems adopting a ex-racer if I wanted a greyhound. So much cheaper than a "full blood, pay $1000 for a dog, etc, etc". I think I will always adopt from rescues, plenty of good dogs that need a home for free out there and I wont be breeding them, so....

9. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

we adopted our greyhound, Rambo, in april. It takes a little patience as they transition into a house pet, but definitely worth it.

10. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

In a heart beat (if Don'd let me ;) ). I can't believe he pointed this thread out to me. ;) I have wanted one for years. Situations just haven't been optimal. You really need to have a stable home life for these creatures as they are VERY routine oriented (as are most domestic pets). I came very close a couple of times, but life just wasn't "right" for me at the time. Life couldn't be more right for me now and I am trying to wait as patiently as I can for things to fall into place.

Believe it or not these dogs, as big as they are, do not take up that much space. They are very loyal, gentle, kind and loving creatures. They thrive on human contact and most will follow you around. I, by no means, am an expert as I have not had the privilege of having one myself but I have surrounded myself with people and their dogs as much as I can just to be around them and learn as much as I can.

If you are even considering getting one do LOTS of research, read all the books, etc. Get involved with your local rescue groups (but be careful, some of them can be a little, how shall I say, "nutty"). Attend some meet and greets, do some volunteer work. Just get yourself familiar with the dog.

If you're still interested, which I can just about guarantee you will be, then fill out the application and start the process rolling. It moves pretty quickly from what I hear. If you have ANY special requirements of a dog (i.e. if you have cats or other small pets, small children, travel a lot, etc.) make sure you outline them to the agency you're considering adopting from as they will need to know that information.

There are some really good books out there. Do a search on Amazon for Cynthia Branagan (or Branigan). She's written a couple that I've read. Very informative and not as "strict" as some of the other stuff I've read.

Anyway, there are quite a few people here who have them, I'm sure they'll chime in. But if there are any questions you have that I can answer feel free to ask.

Wow, that was long winded. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

11. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Do they race females and males, or only one gender ?

12. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

We have one and love it. They take some house training at first, especially if you have stairs. Just remember they are sight hounds and will chase just about anything, (squirrels, cats, small dogs) but all they want to do it catch it. Once they catch what ever they are after the fun is over for them.

13. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

Both.

14. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Wacked

Cynthia Branagan ......is wacked in the head........

:D

15. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

try this link, they have a really great site, the cover dog lives at my house her name is Ellie

http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  16. RacerGirl117

17. RacerGirl117

Re: Wacked

Takes one to know one fry daddy. :D

18. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

The nieighbor had a rescue greyhound. He died last year of old age. Sweetest, most gentle dog in thw world. If you adopt one you won't be sorry. :)

19. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Re: Re: Wacked

You an Don coming down to vintage days......6 days till departure...i cant wait

:beer:

20. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

I've had a Grey for almost 5 years. She was 3 when I adopted her & she recently turned 8. I bring my dogs (other dog is a Corgi) to the race tracks. Even though the Grey is more routine-oriented than the Corgi, she adapts to sleeping in a motel room, or at the track. As long as she has her blanket to lay on she is fine.
    It is a pain trying to camp in April or October in the North Central region because it can get cold overnight & we've resorted to having the Grey sleep in the van with us if the weather is cold, otherwise she's whining & barking & getting me up every hour of the night! Other than that, she is a wonderful dog.