WERA HISTORY QUESTION... calling all you WERA lifers...

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

OK, I'm new (or new enough). Two questions for all you WERA lifers....

What was the first year for Cycle Jam, and had it always been at VIR?

What was the first year for WERA GNF, and had it always been at Road Atlanta?

How many regions did WERA have when it first began? How many classes? Any of the existing classes we now run, how many are from the origional class structure (minus some minor rule changes)...?

2. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Cycle jam used to be at IRP - in Indy

3. Chip

Chip Registered

and Pocono

4. Silo Pete

Joe Ball (resident local WERA lifer) told me about IRP. Some very scary stories about the transition from the drag strip to the turns or something like that.

5. SonicDuck

SonicDuck Flying Feather Duster

and cones to denote where the track was when it cut across a parking lot. :)

and I think GNF has always been Road Atlanta.

6. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Good questions. I'm a relative new guy too. But, I think the first year for WERA was 1974? Cycle Jam was at Pocono in the 80's at least, then moved to IRP, then to VIR in 2001, I believe. It would be cool to see a timeline on the web site going back to the beginning.

7. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

ERA ran 8 races in 1974 at Summit Pt, VIR, and Bridgehampton. Membership and race license cost $5 for prod&mod bikes, $10 for GP.

Beginning 1976 the name change to WERA. There were 3 classes, production, mod. prod. (cafe'), and GP. Entire rulesheet was typed on the front and back of ONE sheet of paper.

By 1977 the name had changed again, WERRA (western/eastern ROAD and RACING assoc). That year the Grand National Final was held at West Palm Beach International raceway. A 24 hr endurance race ran that same weekend.

I don't have this stuff committed to memory, I dug all these old papers/flyers out of my barn recently as I was getting back into roadracing. If I had a scanner I would post up some of this 'memory lane' stuff.

8. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

I think diet Dr Thunder has a promotional poster, or something similar, for a WERA race or region from a decade, or so, ago. That thing is bad-ass. Yo Dave, snap a picture and post away. :up:

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I just visited IRP last week for a tuesday night test and tune. I drove the entire course in the truck and it's scary in some places. The front drag strip was and forever will be a scary transition. The parking lot has not been resurfaced at all. And for those of you who remember turns 1-5, it's bumpier than Nelson ever hoped to be. The only benefit is they repaved the end of the dragstrip to about 1/2 way into 1...

Stupid me I'd still like to run it though...:D

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Here's a repost of a flyer from the 30 Hours of Rockingham.

[​IMG]

IIRC, that was 1980.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And here are my GNF medals from `79. The GNF was held at North Carolina Motor Speedway, Rockinghamd NC. I ran my `77 GS750 Suzuki in 750 Superbike (2nd), Open Superbike (3rd) and Formula One (3rd).

[​IMG]

Ahhhhhhhh. I love the smell of styrene...

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Wow.

I was born in 1980...:eek:

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Will do...later tonight.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First GNF - 73 at West Palm Beach International - now known as Moroso. Promoted by Jim Disalvo of all people :)

That was the only ERA race that year I believe.

First Cycle Jam was in 92 or 93 at Pocono when we were running WERA Pro Series and combined the Pro Series stuff with the Sportsman stuff for a 4 day event. Not sure on the year because I can't remember when we started the naming thing.

15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  16. Silo Pete

man, this is old skool stuff.... keep bringing it!

17. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I see Sharon and Rich who's the third?

18. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Isn't Heidi in the photo.

Dan

19. C DiSalvo

C DiSalvo Member

The first GNF was a New Year's Eve event held in 1977. It was a four or five day event, it seems like we were there forever. There are stories....
    We have an original poster framed in our office, I'll see if we can get a picture posted on Monday. Have a few other items as well, will look around when we get home late next week. Jason has made fun of the event shirt, which was a Terry pullover.

Connie DiSalvo (of all people).

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:clap: :clap:

Hey Connie!