1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XS650 brakes question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by andy342, May 10, 2005.

1. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

What works better -

1975 caliper (2 piston, solid mount) or

1982 caliper (single piston, sliding mount)?

Also, which master?

I have a complete system from a '75 and I was wondering if I would gain any braking power by putting it on my '82.

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

If you get a good set of pads for it the twin piston cast iron 75 caliper is far superior..... (vintage brake can help with the pads)

3. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Vintage brake is great!!

I have a solid 2 piston on the rd and the pads he recommended work awesome. I have "allot" more braking now than I did with the Daytona caliper.

Rus

4. andy342

Also, is there a different rotor that bolts right on? I found a floating, drilled one at mikesxs for $130 but was wondering what else might work.

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

The Yamaha bolt pattern remained the same up to the "R" series of bikes, BUT you cannot run a full floater in V3 if I am remembering the rules correctly...

6. andy342

It will stay a street bike.

7. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

The later model single piston aluminum caliper as fitted to XS650s with the 35mm forks can work extremely well with a 11mm master cylinder and Ferodo pads. The early model XS650 with the 34mm forks has the heavy cast iron caliper which is a phenomenal brake... no flex at all and a solid feel but you cannot get Ferodo pads for it anymore. However EBCs are available and work well... just not as great as the Ferodos. I like using a 13mm master with the cast iron caliper.

As for the rotor... get the floater from Mikes XS... it's your best bet for replacing the stocker.

8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

is the Mike's XS rotor vintage legal?

9. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

Nearly any '90s floating street rotor should bolt up to the wheel, I've got a pile of them I can check to see if they're dimensionally the same.

I'm guessing an FZR600 rotor is the answer, but I'll make sure tonight when I'm home...

10. rus23

rus23 Misfit

As far as Ferodo pads go, Mike sent me a set of pads that with a little creative grinding were made to fit into my big heavy non flexing caliper. They work. (I grew up on a farm so I'm used to making things work).

11. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

UngaWunga - no it's not vintage legal, but as stated the bike will remain a street bike.

rus23 - a couple of years ago Mike offered me a set of Ferodo pads that were meant for a TZ caliper but could fit the XS caliper with a little grinding. He said it was the last set he had and he won't be able to get anymore. I wonder how many "last sets" he has. ;)

12. rus23

rus23 Misfit

I found the receipt. Its from Vintage Brake and the pad part #'s are:
    60-000204P-BT/ FDB 204P disc pad brembo FO9/ 32.95 a set.

It took some work and like I wrote before they are not a perfect fit but they sure do work a lot better than the pads I had on before.

rus