1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting the tank

Discussion in 'General' started by T-MAC, Apr 4, 2005.

1. T-MAC

T-MAC Well-Known Member

I just got my used gas tank in off ebay today. The condition is good, very small dent in it, but the paint is chipped around there and may start to flake off. How big of a deal is this? It is not that bad now, but I can pick at the paint and it will flake off. What do you guys usually do with your tanks? Paint them yourselves? How much time and effort do you put into it?

2. paintman

paintman Well-Known Member

Get some of those fake bullit holes and cover up the dent .

If this will work on a Harley , it should be just fine for a rice rocket .

3. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

im goin through the same thing. i got one word for ya...

BONDO!!! its great. i'm painting my tank myself:wow: yeah i know its not that bad though

4. mini#22

mini#22 Bus Driver

What ever u do make sure no paint flakes get in ur tank, i kno how bad it is, ive had probs all this year so far.

5. T-MAC

T-MAC Well-Known Member

I dont even care that much about the dents. They are small. What I am mainly wondering if anybody just uses a can of spraypaint. I have never done any kind of bodywork before, but my bodywork I used a can of spraypaint and it turned out just fine. I just dont know what I have to do to prep my tank because its metal. And I dont know if I should worry about the flakes either.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sand it and shoot it. Cans are fine but use an automotive finsih like duplicolor because regular Krylon will run when fuel hits it.

7. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

:stupid:

But even the automotive grade rattle can clear coat wont hold up over time when subjected to gasoline, race fuels or brake cleaner. I tried it on a set of wheels once, once. You really need to use an activated clear coat to get a lasting durable finish. Like Mongo said, Krylon just won't cut it, Duplicolor or similar is your next best bet. I used Duplicolor colored paint on the tank then covered with a cheap U-Tech activated clear coat and two years later is still looks good.

8. T-MAC

T-MAC Well-Known Member

My 636 is kawasaki green, does anyone know the best match color wise or would I be better off just painting it a black?

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

paint it black get rid of that green so you can save someones eyes when they see it

10. T-MAC

T-MAC Well-Known Member

I have never done any body work prep before on a tank. Anyone wanna give me a quick walk-through of whats involved? I dont expect this job to be the greatest, I am mainly looking for something cheap that looks better than how it is now with the paint flaking.

11. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

how much paint is flaked? cover with some vinyl graphics and lay a clearcoat

12. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

watch it boy!:mad:

theres nothing wrong with kawi green, on kawi's

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Except that they're ALL green. :rolleyes: Be original, pick something different. There's a whole world of color out there, just ask Crayola. Don't get me wrong, I like green - My helmet is green, there's green on my bike, but I ride a SUZUKI.

Note to self: expect lots of crap to come this way because of comments regarding color. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  14. Brian129

you have something to say crash?

:D

15. Lawn Dart

Bite me, pirate boy. :rolleyes:

16. Brian129

how would it be barney without the required purple and green? i mean you know you wanted it to look like your favorite TV character, the green was neccessary;) :D

17. Brian129

no thanks, go talk to you butt buddy lever for that.

:p

18. Lawn Dart

I expected that... now go paint your bike a different color, you unoriginal bastard... :p

19. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

How would YOU know, Primer Pirate?

20. Brian129

ehh, no thanks, i rather take the heat for being unoriginal, than have to deal with loving barney like you!:D
    i think i will just keep it the green(hell it should already be somewhat green, i will have to check later)