high blood pressure and racing

Discussion in 'General' started by whizzif, Nov 26, 2004.

1. whizzif

whizzif Well-Known Member

Anyone out there have high blood pressure? I'm only 25 and have been diagnosed with LVH left ventricular hypertrophy. It's mainly due to my high blood pressure I guess. Haven't seen a cardiologist yet....going dec. 8th but...

I skydive and race and was wondering if anyone else had this shit going on? Any info would be great. I don't want to give up racing or skydiving. I'm on 5mg altace samples until I see the cardiologist.

I'm fit and eat healthy which is the scary thing. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Thanks guys.
    whiz

2. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy in to that too much. They have a ton of tests done saying that they don't really know what is a normal bp reading. I have had high bp since I was in high school and I consider myslef very fit. My boss's cholesterol is in the 4's since he was in his early 20's and he's almost 60. I think everybody is a little different. Now if your bp jumps next time you go to the doc then somethings up, if it's always the same I'd say thats your norm. It also doesn't help if you have a bad temper such as myself, not that I'm the violent type:D

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

You could be fit as hell and still have high bp. A lot of it is hereditary. Nothing you can do about it, but you can still manage it well with diet and exercise. Sometimes medication is the only answer. It really kind of sucks. And no, I'm not a doctor, but one nags me at home everyday. :eek:

4. Tiggerduc

Tiggerduc BIG OL' DUFFUS

could be worse kris i'm now dating a psycologist. It's great getting analyzed everyday:rolleyes:

5. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

sucko...where you been hiding?:Poke:

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I suggest you at least learn to spell her occupation before she dumps your dumb ass. :D

Whats up Bart?

7. whizzif

Yeah, it's definitely hereditary....that much I know. My grandfather died at 53 from a massive stroke. My grandmother (both on mom's side) died at 63 from a stroke. Had a heart attack at 29 but...

Anyway, I exercise a lot. We'll see what the doc says...thanks for posting though.

Keep the info coming

8. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

the way your family history sounds you better live it up, just kidding bro. Just take care of yourself and last resort, medication. How high is your bp anyway?

9. whizzif

It was around 150/75 then I've been on 5mg of altace for about 2 weeks and it's down around 135/65

I can relax though and get it down to 118/60 ...it fluctuates alot which I'm not sure if that is bad or not.

thoughts?

10. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Take the medications. I went through the same thing about 7-8 years ago. Tried what I could to lower the bloodpressure...no dice. I've been borderline hypertensive since high school...so it wasn't a shock to me.

My doctor finally convinced me that it wasn't an immediate threat....but that years down the road the damage would have been done...little bit by little bit over the years. And since strokes run in the male side of my family...it wasn't too much of a stretch to know that it was probably going to be in my future.

Soooo...I take 20 mg of accupril daily. Just like taking a vitamin....no big deal. No side effects. Just a lower bloodpressure. Seems simple enough.

11. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Be very careful with those doctors and thier idea of ideal blood pressure. I did some research on BP and Cholesterol as well. Lots of opinions from learned doctors that the numbers they want are way off (as in unhealthy for some people). Like the other poster said, what is normal is normal for you.

Remember when acceptable blood pressure upper number was 100 + your age ?

I heard a tape of one doctor that stated normal Cholesterol was 300 but the AMA wanted to create and illness they could treat. Money, money... Who knows ? Lipitor sales are great ?

Do some research, you'll find plenty of information to doubt what the doctors tell you. Exercising actually will raise your blood pressure in some cases.

True High BP is nothing to play with, always take care of yourself, but be informed.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  12. Zooke158

Zooke158 Suzuki T500 Racer

I've been racing for 12 years now and had high blood pressure since I was 25. Both my parents have it and hey they had to pass something on I guess. But with five kids, why me:rolleyes: .

I finally did something about it last year when the Doc checked my blood pressure and it was 185/90. I take 10mg of NORVSC, 10mg of Hyzar and 75mg of Zoloft. Didn't seem to come down till I had the Zoloft. Found out my Hypertension was constrictng my blood vessels and not letting the other meds do their job.

Now I am at 135/40:) . You just gotta take the meds every day and watch what ya eat. I am working on that next:D .

Eric

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Diagnosed a few years ago. 20mg of Lisinopril a day keeps mine around 125/85.

14. whizzif

What about fluctuations? I check mine pretty frequently now and it fluctuates a lot. I mean, I can sit down, check it and be sitting at 140/70 or somewhere around there then about 15 minutes later just sit down and relax and get it down to 118/65. Weird. I'm wondering if this is bad or what?

Thoughts? It bounces all over the place all day but hovers around 133/65.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the input.

15. Zooke158

Zooke158 Suzuki T500 Racer

It's not bad when it fluctuates. That is why at the Doctor they take several readings or compile what they find from several visits. It does change a little.

16. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I take mine three times a day. I have the same fluctuations each time. You can be stressed out without knowing you are stressed out (at least according to my doctor). As long as you don't bounce into the dangerous zone, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

17. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

From what I understand the second or bottom (diastolic)number is more important as that is the constant pressure on your arteries and is more constant. The upper number (systolic) varies more as you excerise or exert yourself.