bad crash vid,

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Nov 2, 2004.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

That was a couple of years ago up north somewhere with another race org if I remember correctly.

The brainiacs with all the details will be along shortly.

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Thats been posted before. Will try and find the thread.

4. Fuzzy317

Here is one thread, with links to the other threads about it.

Refresher

5. Fuzzy317

And this was my post in that thread. . .

Here is the orginal thread
    The Cornerworker at Brainherd during SBK

Look on last page, JohnnyB's post

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JohnnyB
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of cornerworker Rob Dages two weeks after he got killed.

I grew weary from all of the second guessing on this one because the tape didn't show what was happening off frame before the crash scene. Probably the biggest mistake was the riders ignoring the waving yellow at the Turn 2 flag station. After a review of the incident, it was decided that any crashes in this area will have waving yellows thrown in the Turn 1 flag station in addition to the Turn 2 station.
    This was the day that I caught hell on pit row from riders coming off of the track who were complaining about too many red flags that morning (9 during practice). So it would figure that they gave us hell for not throwing one here.
    I can tell you that any time a cornerworker requests a red flag, race control gives it to them immediately, no questions asked. After 8 years, I have never witnessed an exception to this procedure.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The racer who hit the cornerworkers actually suffered the worst injury as he hit the track head first. One cw had a banged-up leg, Rob, the cw laying still in the video had a broken pelvis and some lacerations and was unconscious quite a while. I don't know the rider, but understand he suffered some permanent damage. It was a tough scene to work, emotionally.

Not a good day and looks bad on video, but just one of those things.

Btw, the two in the picture now have twins (production twins). Both parents race as well as cornerwork.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I've only cornerworked couple of times, and I will tel you that unfortenatly I have seen control asking {???second guessing???} repetably if the session NEEDS to be stopped.

To me, when a CW deems the session unsafe to run, he should have the exclusive right to request a red flag, no questions asked. If it's a newbie that you might feel will overreact, don't let them near the radio. I've seen situations that were considered "workable" just for the sake of good'ol SPEED TV. :rolleyes:

There are CW's out there that just don't take their job seriously enough, IMHO. Not being down on CW's, because there are plenty of guys out there that really know their shit {Mr. Microphone come to mind here...}, but there are people out there that shouldn't be allowed to do anything but watch.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Obviously, if the cw feels over their head, they should call to stop the race. Sometimes they don't realise when the situation is over their head, and sometimes a combination of circumstances causes the situation to degrade quickly, as in the video.

When you watch the video, and especially when you have watched it several times (and I've probably watched it a couple thousand for analysis purposes) it is easy to see where a red flag would probably have been a good call and the time frame appears stretched.
    When watched with a timeclock on screen, the short amount of time in which the situation degrades is more obvious. I watched the incident happen in person, and it was not a prolonged incident.
    It is easy to see places where a safer decision could have been made, but that's always a judgement call and easy to make perfectly after the fact. Every crash is different, no matter how long you've worked. They all have the potential to go bad, I've seen very banal circumstances turn into very bad scenes unexpectantly. Most are not caught on camera like this one.

As Johnny said, at Loudon, when we ask to stop, the answer is always an immediate red flag.

It has never happened to me, but if I was working a corner and called for a red and it was denied, you'd better believe I'm going to be addressing control on the matter, and probably would not work any event where that person was control. That flag is a tool for my protection, as well as the riders. The cw on the scene needs to have ultimate call on it's use.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haga - you're talking about two totally different things - one is when control based on the information they've been given is making sure things can keep rolling or if they need to be stopped. The other is if the CW's feel it needs to be stopped.

Both things are the way it shoud be and at our races is.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

No, I'm not.

I have heard cornerworkers asking to stop the session, with control asking back if they are sure, and if there is a way to continue, or to work the scene.

This particular instance it was a bike highsiding out of turn 10B at Road Atlanta and ending up right before the bridge. With another rider hitting the downed bike. Bikes on the racing line, racers laying on the ground, cornerworkers scrambling and dodgeing bikes...all right before the turn 11 crest.

I was worried to say the least...

AMA event, btw. Not WERA. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AMA events don't count in a discussion of cornerworking....

12. 418

418 Expert #59

That bad, huh. :eek:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a lot better now. Main problem is there's no consistency between control and the corner crews. They've also had a history of really bad control people.

14. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Nail on the frickin' head.

And Haga, you correct about the TV deal. We are told at AMA events to consider live TV when we work a scene. I've worked more than one hot track incident. It can be done, but only when CWs know their business and cover each others asses. You also correct about some who need to watch from behind the fence.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

A point that was made abundantly clear at the Brainerd AMA round this year....

16. Lori

Lori Member

I signed up just to post a reply to this post, first of all, this is excluding AMA all together, I cornerwork at Barbers and have almost since it opened, as far as TV coverage goes who cares, I am there to help the rider or riders period. I have worked (what feels like) tons of races, track days, schools and I can say I have never been denied a " Red Flag" call or questioned about it from control. We have a good team of workers at Barbers and usually the same group works together, so we know each other and each others calls. We work like a well oiled machine together and with race control. I take what I do very seriously, I have watched plenty of riders slide down the back straight, and my only thought after is I wish I could have done more to help. The downed rider (s) and bike (s) is as much of a thought as the rider comming up on a crash site. I have wonered if being a girl sometimes gave question as to if I know what I am doing....I can promise the riders this, I do know. My goal is to NOT get on TV, if I do that means one of you went down at my corner.....Keep it shiney side up please!!! You guys are great!

17. Putter

Thanks, Lori. :)

18. Lori

Lori Member

YQW........wave at turn 11 anytime.......dont visit lol ;)

19. Putter

Never raced at Barber, being that I live in Minnesota. But I have been picked up by cornerworkers who crossed a hot track (before the race was red flagged) to help my dumb unconscious ass. For that I will always be thankful.

20. Fuzzy317

Hey lori, welcome aboard. Do you still have my whistle? ;) keep it and stay safe :)