1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another newb...

Discussion in 'General' started by tydaddy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. tydaddy

tydaddy Well-Known Member

hey guys...i've been stalking the boards for a while now...but haven't posted anything. i began riding street bikes 4 years ago...96 kat 600, 00 triumph tt600, 99 tl1000r...i just recently sold the tiller...in hopes that i would be able to get a track bike, and take school or two in the spring...and as many track days as possible. i've wanted to get into racing since i was a kid...who hasn't? anyhow, last spring i randomly bought an f3 in hopes of doing the same thing, but i didn't have time...so i sold it...anyhow, i'm probably 210 lbs...but not fat weight, i'm quite lean...just so i don't get the, "you need to lose weight if you're serious" comments...so what would be the better bike to start on, and possibly keep for a year or two...sv? 600 class? what are the pros/cons between the classes?

anyhow, thanks ahead of time for the input!

tyler

2. tydaddy

3. krodaddy

krodaddy Well-Known Member

How old are ya? can you spin a wrench? how much money do ya have? How about a vintage bike?
    Oh yeah, allmost forgot, Hello and welcome aboard.

4. keg0900

keg0900 none ya

start on an sv you will learn a bunch

5. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

dude this has been discussed so much people just dont want to type it again.

do a serch on it you will find lots of good info.

the sv speach is normal, everyone will tell you starting there is the way to go, not to knock it, but i am not a big fan of the bike. That is why i got my new zx6rr. They will tell you not to start on a 600, because they are really powerful, and you will spend most of you time affraid of ccrashing, not learning how to ride it. Go look over in classifieds, there are a ton of sv's for sale, get one that is already built with a spares package. Notice i said they will tell you, i wont because i didnt listen and bought what i wanted to have. Havent taken it out on the track yet so i dont now how bad of a mistake i made, but in my neighborhood this thing is a fricckin beast, and that is down at 6500 rpm max, redline is like 15500.

sv are also considerably cheaper on tires.
    go get a good deal, learn how to work onit, and how everything is adjusted, but dont move any, if its already set up.

and the most important thing to remember is go out there , be safe, but HAVE FUN!!!!!!:) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. Chip

Chip Registered

Have you raced the meatgrinder (C Novice Superstock) yet??

When you have to go out in 50-60 biker grids vs. 30 bike grids for SV's then you will understand that bike speed isn't the only reason why an SV is a good choice for beginners.

Anyway, to the original poster.....welcome.......and race what you can afford, but think long term and how what your racing is going to affect you progression and you pocket book.

Remember track time and experiance is worth 10 times as much for lap times than HP.

7. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

nope just got the thing on friday night (see thread ITS MINE, ALL MINE)

i didnt suggest him a 600, i got one because I am not a fan of sv's, and i work in a kawi shop, so i will get parts for this cheaper, where i would get raped for suzuki parts. I will be running at the back any way, so i will let the idiots out there to prove something there first race go on, and then slowly work my way through picking them off(hopefully).

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Its the whole power to weight ratio thing. You would be much more handicaped by your weight on a 125GP compared to a, say... RC51.

Actually the TLR would have been a pretty good bike to start on if you still had it.

9. tydaddy

obviously i know about sv's...and the dilemma with 600 class bikes...my concern is exactly what jamesg pointed out...the power to weight ratio...and if that is really that big of a deal...

anyhow...thanks for the replys! i thought about using the tiller for a track bike, but they just eat tires like its their job...not to mention the mid 90's technology that its built on...:Poke:

10. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It doesn't matter how much you weigh when you're jsut starting. You want to actually learn to be faster/more precise? Get an Aprilia 250 and ride that for a season.

I'm 300 pounds, and I'm riding a 400 next year. I am confident that at the end of the season I'll be a better rider than I would be at the end of a year on a 600 or even an SV.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Drop a couple of tons tubby and you'll be even faster. :D

12. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Stick with the lightweight bikes for the first year or two. It is amazing how much you will learn. The best thing about the SV's, FZR 400's and Hawk GT's are without the hp you will need to learn how to go fast through the corners.

13. krodaddy

krodaddy Well-Known Member

I guess that means a vintage bike is out of the question. :mad:

14. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

welcome.

race what turns you on. you gotta like what you are racing.

i started racing on 600. just listen to all us idiots then decide for yourself, only you know what you want...go to a race first and talk to folks in the pits....

15. mattdeez

mattdeez Well-Known Member

I'm planning on riding/racing my ZX6r. It is my first street bike and I only weigh 135 lbs. I began riding it back in June and have since been to one track day @ jennings gp, and IMHO I did well. Got both my knees down and didn't crash. I'll be going to Ed Bargy school in November also. I really wish I had a race body and 2nd fuel tank.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I can lose weight...you'll always be a buttplug.

:D