Towing MPG's

Discussion in 'General' started by Cooter!, May 8, 2024.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Y'all care about MPG???? WTF, is this the Prius forum?

CRA_Fizzer, dave3593, ChemGuy and 4 others like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ask the brainiac who came up with diesel particulate filters and regeneration.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Well duh.

Pissing away more money in fuel to get to the races impacts the tires, entry fees and beer budgets.

:rolleyes:

TurboBlew and sharkattack like this.
  4. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Exactly!

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Who doesn't? MPG = Range and Money

If you knew dragging your trailer to a race weekend was going to be $400 in fuel vs $200, you might be less inclined to go or try to sort out a way to reduce this cost. Fuel is just wasted money. So saving as much of it as possible without sacrificing too much convenience/safety is a win.

6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

3mpg means the difference between bud light and walmart hotdogs vs brats on pretzel buns and shiner bock

7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yes. Aint you seen @27 gush about his?

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

dude… my poor Prius is no more… 274k miles of fun… all gone now… deer took it out for good…

I did buy a super sweet SSEi that I won’t shut up about! It gets 27 mpg and doesn’t shut off until 128 mph so you can enjoy it up until 127mph it’s black and looks like an evil toothless the dragon and has won multiple street races with my Jack ass buddies and their fast trucks that cost more than 100 times what I have in it… the TC is off and it’ll roast the tires at will and they smell like race rubber… best money I’ve spent in decades :D

so whenever you’re ready to talk about Boner Villes I’m here…
    :crackup:

9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

N/A or Supercharged 3.8? All those boats with the 3.8 would get great mileage on the highway. Simple and efficient pushrod engines. At times, GM did make good things. :D

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

SSE little i !!! Supercharged!

this is extra funny because around when you and I met I drove a 91 SSE no little i and always wanted a supercharged one… I bought the 91 at the dealer salvage sale and the key was drilled out so I used a stubby straight screwdriver for a key… by our pro debut at Daytona everyone kept borrowing it yelling I know where the key is… miss those simple days…

mind you we’ve all had tens of cars and trucks the prices of my first house since then but the kick I get out of this last gen Bonneville I found for $750 in the darkest area of Fort Wayne… Pontiac and Hannah streets, seriously… I knew it was fate :D

A. Barrister likes this.
  11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If the gas mileage isn’t better, You bought the wrong brand 1500.

12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I so wanted my TireMinder to work well for me. The big advantage that I saw in it (the model that I had), was that it didn't require a dedicated monitor for viewing the system. You simply downloaded the app for your Android or IOS phone and opened the app and there it was. And let's face it, no one leaves home without their phone anymore. To me, it was just one less dedicated device to have on the dash while towing my RV. I really did give it a fair chance, but 5000 miles of false alarms was just too much. Oh well....

13. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

You will when it's FOUR point SIX and you can't even get to the next station.

There is cheap... and there is ludicrous.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 11.12.46 PM.png

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

for those have seen my setup around Atl and SE regions, my Acura MDX tows a fully (over)loaded single axle 3500 6x12 and i get 12-14 MPG. the big downfall is my SUV requires 93 octane. i noticed i gained 1 MPG adding the weight distribution hitch. i also gained another 1 MPG with my v-nose dipping down in the front (look element trailer), when compared to similar trailers i've towed. that's me driving 60-70 on the highways.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I knew guys that lived on peanut butter for weeks at a time to go club SS racing. You know the least expensive class outside clubman...lol
    Lets not even get into taking up sewing to repair their suits and scouring ebay for parts... :)

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

meme not accurate...
    [​IMG]

that is an achievement though that a flex fuel system can move that much gas!! :)

Cooter! likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

While we are talking about SUV sized towing, I get 16 to 17.5mpg towing my 6x12 enclosed 5200lb axle extra height loaded to about 3300lb. That is using a VW Touareg TDI with fully stock emissions. Towing a rented 7' wide single axle, 16' box, 20' total length tip to tail travel trailer it still got almost 16mpg. The limiting factor for towing is the 617lb tongue weight rating, but there are plenty of folks exceeding that without issue, with or without a WDH.

18. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

At what speed and where? 55MPH towing in Florida is different than 80MPH towing through the Rockies.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Somewhere in between those two extremes. Towing was NoVa to Summit Point, NCBike, NJMP, Pitt Race, and once to Raleigh to buy a bike. Always was in the 16-17.5 range. There are some decent climbs on the way to Pitt Race. Only place it really bogged down was the climb over the ridge between Bluemont, VA and the Shenandoah River on Rt 7. Pretty sure I could have gone up at speed if I would have floored it, but no point in working the motor / trans that hard to save a minute. Plenty of cars and pickups not towing anything slow down going over that hump too. My general speeds:
    55 zone - ran 62-63.
    60 - ran 67-68.
    65 or higher ran 69 or maybe 72 if I was in a hurry.