Brother wants a new GAS truck.. wrong?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, May 4, 2024.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Last week, I was in a ‘19 F250 diesel, emissions intact, 148K, that’s not had a single issue. But, it gets driven, as opposed to being left idling everywhere. Zero interior squeaks or rattles, as well.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My foreman truck is a '16 RAM Big Horn edition (loaded like a Laramie, except for leather)6.4, CC, 4x4.....Trans went out at 145k.....But if I ever replaced my 250k mileaged '02 Excursion, I'd look at a Ram for my personal truck.

Everytime I drive the EX it just amazes me how smooth that V10 is. Can't even hear/feel it run when sitting at a stoplight. I've put a new alternator/battery on it in 8 yrs. Normal maintenance stuff and WARN lockout hubs

excursion1.jpg

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

For that weight I’d buy a 1/2 ton v8 truck,
    Honestly I’d buy a Silverado 1500 with a 6.2 and a 6’6 bed if he can find one. It won’t know the trailer is there, be much more user friendly daily and get great gas mileage.

I’d never own a Diesel or Turbo anything for that type use.

Razr and 2blueYam like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the one with 50k should be covered by the 5/60,000 drivetrain.
    Its like Ford was using their F150 customers as beta testers hence why you see so many 18s & 19s on the used market...lol. You can purchase a new 10R80 for $3500ish if you have a good core. Towing is recommended to have a billet convertor ... another $1600 ish.

gapman789 likes this.
  5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'm on my 3rd Ram 2500 Mega Cab. 1st had the 5.7 and that was a mistake. The last 2 were the 6.4. And as long as they make the configuration, that's what I am buying. It's a rock solid platform and honestly, if something ever brakes, it's relatively simple to fix and the parts are generally much, much cheaper than a diesel.

Driving to the track 1-2x per month and I am less than 10k lbs. On the occasion when I do go up to a bumper pull travel trailer, it's fine. Most of the shops and fleet trucks here are all going to gas platforms because the diesels just don't make sense for them anymore with the cost to maintain them.

I think the primary difference here is it's very flat. If I lived out west, it might be a different story but here, it's just easier. Here's the key. I love the truck. It's perfect for what I need. I just don't stare at the gas gauge.

TLR67, ducnut and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The thing I liked about the RAM2500 was the coil over rear suspension. I think all the other heavy duty trucks have leaf springs. I thought I rode better.

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Overall, yes it's a 3/4 ton truck. It rides rough but I have driven one for so long, I don't care. The other thing too, all of my trucks have gone to 200K. After that, regardless they go. But to date, the Ram product has been a really solid platform for me.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

One was covered, the other just missed out with the warranty expiring.