Should I??? 2008 Tuono

Discussion in 'General' started by jasonhise, Sep 22, 2023.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s universal. Basically, it’s the 3-wire stator connection, using three crimp connectors. Then +/- connections to the battery.

For those who may not know, a Series R/R opens and closes its charging circuit, as needed. Because the Roadstercycle Kit uses the battery as a power bank, when the battery is charged, the R/R opens the charging circuit, which allows the stator to cool and drastically increase its lifespan. Once voltage drops, the R/R closes the charging circuit and the stator charges the battery back up. I have a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit on my VFR800 (notorious for R/R and stator failures) and put one on my previous SV650. Both bikes ran a steady 14.5V.

jasonhise likes this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That's one of the things I hate about my Gen 1 Tuono. I've even got a super expensive lithium battery in there, and it's still doesn't start sometimes. I read somewhere on the Aprilia forum that the ground on the bike was undersize and you have to run a supplemental one to reduce the load when starting. I need to dig that up.

pjdoran, jasonhise and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

On my previous 900SS, I went to a stereo shop and had them make me up a heavy gauge starter cable, which helped the cranking quite a lot.

Phl218 and jasonhise like this.
  4. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t a Rick’s R/R work as well? Appears to be around $100 ish cheaper.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not even remotely close to the same quality. Rick’s is Chinese garbage. The Roadstercycle Kit uses a genuine Shindengen SH847 R/R and includes the wire harness needed to get the charging system out of the bike’s main harness, which sets up the charging system to cycle like a modern vehicle. This is what allows the stator and R/R to run much cooler. It’s an investment in the longevity of the stator and reliability of the charging system.

This pic is right out of the Aprilia forum, where a guy used an infrared setup to check temp differences before and after his Roadstercycle SH847 Kit installation. Substantial difference.
    DE16DA03-C4C2-469F-A140-D21CA8554918.jpeg

Phl218 and jasonhise like this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You can get a LOT of your answers and information from the Aprilia Forum.
    As I mentioned above, there's a ton of model specific information on things that have been modded to improve the bike.
    It's really a collaborative group.

ducnut and jasonhise like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I don't agree with that, Ricks may not be at the level of the brand you're talking about, I've never heard of them, but I've been putting Rick's regulators and stators on customer bikes for 25 years and have never had a bad part from them that I can remember. Probably sell 10 -12 a year. Calling their stuff chinese junk is kinda harsh.

ducnut and jasonhise like this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It is what it is.

People buy their stuff for two reasons:
    1.) Because it’s less expensive than OEM. The reason it’s less expensive is because it’s made in China. China has never been known for quality.
    2.) They have listings for obsolete applications. Again, because people don’t know, Rick’s simply slide the pins into a different style connector. People and mechanics think because it plugs into the factory harness, a R/R is specific. They’re not.

Shindengen is a Japanese company who make the vast majority of the R/R’s used by motorcycle manufacturers. They’re simply the best money can buy.

Most people and mechanics have zero knowledge of motorcycle electronics. They simply replace parts.

Chinese manufacturing and Japanese manufacturing are not equal. A Shindengen SH847 Series R/R and a Rick’s “Hot Shot” MOSFET R/R are not equal. You should research the differences. A Series R/R opens/closes the charging circuit, as needed. With a Roadstercycle harness, the battery is used as a power bank for the bike. This allows everything to run much cooler and is how many modern vehicles are set up, such as my ‘06 Silverado. A MOSFET R/R is a shunt-style R/R, which is dated technology. The electronics part of it has moved forward some, but, the stator and R/R never get a break. The stator is constantly producing power and the R/R is constantly shunting off the excess as heat. This is why a Series R/R allows everything to run much cooler; the charging circuit is cycling. With many older bikes having obsolete stator availability, running a Series R/R is the best way to preserve the stator.

The brilliance of the Roadstercycle harness is it allows for a standalone charging system. Why this is important is some bikes, like a VFR, have unprotected circuits in the charging system. Even though the R/R has failed and fuses are blowing, the main harness is still receiving power, which is what melts the main harness and burns the bike to the ground. A standalone charging circuit is simply safer and simpler.

This is the SH847 mounted on the underside of my VFR’s rear fender. It’s a beast of a thing.
    7A5E6EDA-B44B-499E-AE92-4CD317E9D4BA.jpeg

This is a VFR burning to the ground, in the middle of nowhere. The rider smelled burning plastic, bike was still running, then, lost power, pulled over, but, could do nothing.
    EF2F562B-0EF6-4090-8707-E539786D30E9.jpeg

Time and technology move on. A Roadstercycle SH847 Series R/R Kit is the best electronics upgrade an owner can make to a bike with known charging system issues.

At this point, I’ve done all I can to try and help people make the best decision for their bike.

9. jasonhise

Just tried ordering the R/R kit but couldn't find it on his site. Sent an email so hopefully I hear something good back.

10. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Did your stator burned up!? If you are killing R&R your generator is problem. GEN1 has generator which is producing extreme amount of power for bikes electrical system and R&R cannot dissipate all that energy in the shape of heat...
    There is guy from Austria on Aprilia forum who demagnetise generator from I belive 500w to 375w ( GEN2 factory setup / fix for know GEN1 stator burn-up issue). I think he does this on exchange basis, you send him yours and he sand you downrated one...
    You can get yourself educated about this on Aprilia forum.

11. jasonhise

No issues yet, just wanted to be proactive and address the known issues. Mine is a 2008.

12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Stupid question, would something like this help a 2000 Ducati ST4 hold its battery charge better?

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The SH847 Kit is the first item listed on his hot mess of a website. Make sure you measure how long of wire harness you’re going to need, so he can make it to length. He only installs the weatherpack plugs, you do the R/R install, cut the wires to length, and install the connectors on the other end.

There’s no need to go through all that, which is a very silly way of doing things. Install the Roadstercycle SH847 Kit and it’s done. The Shindengen SH847 is a Series R/R. Wired with Jack’s harness creates a standalone charging circuit that opens/closes and uses the battery as a power bank. There is no charging, when the circuit opens. Once voltage in the battery drops, the circuit is closed and the battery is topped up. Simple.

What exactly is going on?

Do you run a voltmeter?

jasonhise likes this.
  14. borislav

Well if you paid a little more attention on my first sentence / question and if his answer was YES than he would have to go stator replacement route etc. and no Shindengen or space shuttle R &R wouldn't help him... but all good!

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

First sentence or not, if you actually understood how a motorcycle charging system worked, you’d understand the silliness of your suggestion.

16. borislav

So factory fix for know problem is silly, got it.
    Carry on!

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Explain how this silliness is a factory fix. It’s one of the most ignorant things I’ve ever read on a motorcycle forum. Given you actually believe it tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of motorcycle electronics.

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Wasn't that a VFRD guy out in Australia? Miles out in the middle of nowhere.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It was a rider on their way to a VFR event in SD. But, they were in the middle of nowhere, just the same.

20. borislav

Obviously you are type of person who thinks he knows everything, and at same time you are talking about type of motorcycle which you probably don't own! Your opinion is based on your experience with VFR's...
    Why don't you do a little research about differences of charging system on GEN1 and GEN2 Aprilia Tuono or Mille and why GEN1 has burning stator issues and GEN2 does not! Hint

I will not engage in this discussion with you anymore, you have a good

Jason, as you probably already know for these bikes AF1 Forum is place to go, plenty knowledgeable people here to but...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    jasonhise likes this.