1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Van thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I’ve got $30k in both the van and toy hauler camper. Van was used fleet vehicle with 3k miles on it and full warranty. I paid 19.5k

If you have at least average aptitude for shopping, vehicle ownership and brain usage, YOU too might find and maintain deals like this. Some of y’all can’t spell aptitude…

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ape-tuh-tood

Banditracer and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sounds like a Metris passenger van is my best choice. Not seeing any with factory tow hitch, though (used). The search is on!

4. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

OK - so help a brother out - I found a site called Merchants somethin or other that had similar deals. Vehicle was in CA, tough.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you.

6. Mblashfield

https://www.westgatepreowned.com/

7. Mblashfield

Wise reply for somebody portraying themselves as an expert when in reality they don’t have the aptitude to be a moron on the internet.

8. Tristan

Not every opinion expressed that differs from yours is a personal attack...

Not sure how I portrayed myself as an expert. Your direct experience trumps mine, but there have been several accounts on this very BBS of lackluster quality of the Promasters.

9. Tristan

Once a Wanker.. and Rising like this.
  10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Why does Toyota not bring their really cool stuff to the US? That thing is awesome. And probably still cheaper than a Sprinter.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

US govt emission and safety regulations.

I almost….almost…sometimes wish there was a global standard on this so you could just meet that spec and bring stuff from anywhere. But then I realize…..EU would eff it up worse than we have now. And no way it would work as some of it (safety and emission) is protectionism in the name of safety, like REACH is.

12. Tristan

Yeah, I wouldn't want any diesel strangled with modern US standards, even a Toyota. Now if they brought in a Sprinter sized van with the V6 hybrid system like our GS450H or even just the n/a V6 that would be awesome.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Of course, Japan and the EU emissions standards are more strict, but who cares about facts.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Indeed. It's primarily because these vans are not built to pass US impact standards. Ted Cobb has a Toyota HiAce he travels in now. I think they have to be 20 or 25 years old before you can register one in the US.

brex likes this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

When I was in Mexico last month, I saw a handful of these Suzuki Jimny SUVs cruising around. An evolution of the Samurai we got here 30 years ago.
    Same thing, don't meet crash protection standards that have made all cars here bigger and heavier, nothing to do with emissions.
    Of course the USD/Peso conversion would make it $27K, so way overpriced too.

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I rented a Uhaul low roof to try it out and I hated it, medium or high roof only for me.

Fits a bike fine, but having to crouch and move around like spiderman gets old quickly. And since it's not tall enough to have overhead cabinets, everything ends up being stored on the floor, which means you are constantly shoving something out of the way to get to something else. Being able to have overhead cabinets to store things, and being able to stand upright makes a huge difference if you're doing this more than a few times.

If you're on Instagram, oneupvans is a builder that does pretty nice conversions, motovan_mafia is a reposter but sometimes reposts decent builds.

https://www.instagram.com/oneupvans/
    https://www.instagram.com/motovan_mafia/

I have a high roof extended Transit, I have the essentials in (Pit Bull, loading ramp, bed, fridge, etc.), so it's still very utilitarian and lacking some creature comforts. Still waiting on cabinets. I get roughly 14 mpg on the Ecoboost motor, if I kept it under 70 mph, maybe I could hit 17 or 18. 20+ is diesel territory, but no way I'm dicking around w/ diesels past 2010.

[​IMG]

Here's a nice build too, that I stole some ideas from:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/2019-transit-high-roof-t250-moto-van.79013/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  17. ChemGuy

Mostly yes their 'numbers' are a little lower. But the testing isnt harmonized, so to get the EPA or worse CARB, to sign off you have to pay to do those tests and then pay for them to sign off. If we cold get on a world wide testing standard, it might make it easier for the auto guys to bring move engines around, even if the targets were different. But they wont. Someone will hold out. Usually us.

Regarding the safety side of things....crumple zones, side impact protection, roll over, cabin intrusion protection, offset collision testing....all sorts of things these cool, cheap, usually small vehicles (kei trucks, the new Toyota IMV pickup, etc) all will have problems either passing a government safety test, or when someone gets killed, the lawyers will feast on the manufacturer for selling a death trap.

18. ChemGuy

19. Tristan

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..