1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tying Down a bike, or 2 in the back of a truck

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Apr 18, 2024.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Back when I used to trailer my bikes to tracks but those days and equipment are gone,
    used to use the original Canyon Dancers with the cloth bar holders, not the rubber cups. Its that still the way to go? Some say it screws up the grips. I don't recall having that issue. Is the rubber cups version better? Or just forgo it and hook to the triples?

Methods, tricks, equipment suggestion to tie down an R3 or two in the back of my truck.
    We are talking just an open bed. No means for wheel chocks or Pitbull's TRS system.

2. rwdfun

rwdfun

I don’t have an opinion any which way in strapping methods but one thing is an absolute. When all done you MUST strum one strap and say out load “that’s not going anywhere”

gixxernaut, BrentA, inpayne and 8 others like this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I know this pic is showing a trailer being used, but it's really not much different that putting the bike in a truck bed except the height of the truck bed vs. height of a small trailer.
    Soft straps on the passenger pegs, or if there are no passenger pegs, somewhere around the subframe. Quality ratchet straps attached and pulled not only DOWN, but FORWARD too. Front end is in a Baxley wheel chock and the wheel chock is up against something solid (the front of the truckbed or trailer), or bolted down to the floor of the trailer or truckbed. There are zero straps up front of any kind, anywhere....just the Baxley. I've used this method since 2007 with Zero mishaps and probably approaching 50,000 miles of towing like this.

This is my new GSX-S1000GT+ being brought home last year, when the temperatures were way too cold for me to even think about riding it back home.....
    [​IMG]

RS250Ape and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Once a Wanker..

I do this myself with my trailers also. I always use four straps 'just because,' and connect my rear in a similar fashion to frame, swing arm or other brackets. Most truck beds do not have anyplace to connect tie downs near the wheel-wells though, so they go to the back corner of bed.

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

This is going to be like an oil thread... That's all I have to add.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

My canyon dancer with the soft straps still works perfectly fine in the truck bed. I use 2 straps up front, tighten it down a bit to hold in place, then attach 2 to the pegs and strap down to the rear hooks in the bed, then tighten the front down.

Works every time :D Never had a problem with fork seals or grips or anything like that. Must be some guys using gorilla strength to tighten the straps.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    RS250Ape and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Once a Wanker..

I prefer lotion.

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Forget canyon dancers that screw up your grips. Buy straps from Amazon. Loop them in front of your clutch pirch and brake lever. Then tie down loop to the strap loop. Then I also run a long tie down across the back tire and it holds it in very well.

RS250Ape likes this.
  10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Dont forget to put a strap up over the top of the seat too. Thats the keystone to a good strap down.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Not a Canyon Dancer fan, especially the looped original style. When needing to use straps and not the pitbull trs, I use soft straps around bars on dirt bikes, and Cycle Cinch on sport bikes. Ski

backbone likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A minimum for me is one strap from each bar side or fork tube to the front of the bed and then at least a single strap on the rear going thru the rear wheel...around the wheel and then over to the rear strap down by the tailgate. I prefer to do 2 straps, one on each side from the peg are to the rear tailgate but sometimes you only have 3 straps...:(.

I havent used canyon dancers since the 90's and with the new bikes with shit tons of bodywork and switches...probably not a good idea. On an R3 maybe they'd be OK. Just use a soft tie around a fork leg at the lower triple to avoid bodywork seems pretty normal now.

RS250Ape likes this.
  14. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

This...... Exact process.... Never an issue. Baxley if room allows.

RS250Ape and thrak410 like this.
  15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Baxley if room allows, although the corner of your truck bed makes a pretty nice wheel chock (loaded diagonally).

And quality Rhino Straps for the soft tie component, strength, and the fact that they’re not ratchet straps.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I use a loop strap around the triple tree area and the simple friction type straps. I've been doing it this way for over 25 years and have never encountered one single issue.

One of my favorite loads to the track:D...

[​IMG]

Or how about two beasts...a BMW GSA and a 990R

[​IMG]

stk0308, ToofPic and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pit bull trailer restraint mount to bed.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Personally I would not tie off the passenger footpeg bracket. That fucker will snap. Tie off the subframe instead

969 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

20. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Just throw ‘em back there. They’ll be alright

Attached Files:

YamahaRick and ToofPic like this.