1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

20240330_104922.jpg After being without a suzook in my garage for 15 years I started searching for a 1000 GT+ and found a dealership in OK City that had a deal too good to pass up. I drove my truck up to Maxeys and had them load Suzy in the truck.

Needless to say I'm nervous and excited.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You’re probably feeling the same way @Steeltoe feels at the prospect of losing his virginity.

Difference is, you’ll actually go for a ride. :D

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Be safe, have fun and enjoy it!

cbush and Used2befast like this.
  4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase! I too love me a nice Suzuki.

Used2befast likes this.
  5. Used2befast

Thank you.

Definitely not enjoying the manual...can they make it any smaller? :crackup:

6. Used2befast

Thanks.

You can say that again. :D

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I see ya, and raise you a Triton Blue one....Oh, and you gotta get those shitty Dunlops off of it and replace them with a set of your favorite tires....especially the rear which is a 190/50/17 and go with the 190/55/17. And while you're at it, some Vesrah pads up front will make a world of difference too.
    [​IMG]

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I need a real world review on this buggy, please!:D

Used2befast likes this.
  9. Used2befast

Love the blue...in 24 you had the choice of black or candy apple.

what didn't you like about the dunpops?

What vesrah pads did you go with?

10. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Like most bikes these days, these are seriously neutered from the factory so a reflash and full system see's HUGE gains on these - being the legendary K5 engine architecture it's a monster once unleashed.

15hp and 7ft lbs added with a full Yosh, flash, tune for 91 pump.

133 and 69 up to 148hp and 76ft lbs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Used2befast likes this.
  11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Mostly lack of grip and feel. The rear only lasted about 2200 miles and I ditched the front at 27xx miles. The rear was cupping pretty bad too and the rear shock is a typical cheap factory suspender. I just put a K-Tech Razor R on it a few days ago and will probably take it for a ride this coming Monday. Vesrah pads were the RJLs. I ran the RJL-XX pads on my track only bikes, but did feel like they were needed for a street bike. The plain RJLs provide a lot of improvement up front. I'm kind of laughing a bit because even though I really like the Triton Blue, that new 2024 in Red is beautiful. Congrats on getting it. Oh, I switched the tires over to the Michelin Power 5s and really like them on the bike.

Used2befast likes this.
  12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

There's a guy named Paul Hutchings that started a FB page about the GSX-S1000GT (https://www.facebook.com/groups/suzuki.gt.owners) and he's got a downloadable Service Manual online/available if you happen to be looking for something like that. You'll probably have to message him and he can "renew" the link. It's actually free, but he asks folks to make a donation if they feel like it's worth it. I think I popped $20 bucks his way when I downloaded mine.

Used2befast likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you go on your favorite search engine, you can probably find it in .pdf format that you can magnify on your favorite screen.

Example:

https://www.gsxs1000.org/threads/gt-owners-manual.47245/

Used2befast likes this.
  14. Used2befast

2200 miles on the rear:eek:ok, guess I will start shopping for tires.
    I planned on ramping up the dampening settings anyway. Better do it straight away I guess. I will need a bit more preload at the rear anyway since I'm a fatty of 225 lbs. Front pads will be swapped out before the 1st service. I like stoppies:D

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Whatever tire you get, make sure you switch the rear to that 55 profile. With the 50 on it, turn in is harder/lazy and the 55 works wonders. You might want to bring the fork tubes up in the triples about 5-6mm also. I'm between 185/187 lbs and I had the preload all the way up.....#7 on the ramp for preload adjustment on the rear. If you are accustomed to a bike with good suspension/handling, you aren't going to like that rear shock for more than your first ride or two...maybe not that long.

Off topic a bit, but didn't you live in Robbinsville, NC at one time? Your username sounds familiar .....like maybe from the old East TN Riders forum.

Used2befast likes this.
  16. Used2befast

Yea, I bet the 50 profile along with very flat looking Dunlop rear makes it turn in slow. Looks like I've got some adjustments to do straight away with the rear suspension. Always do. Wonder if rear height adjustments would help with turn in. We used to add washers at the top of the shock mount in the old days.

Nope. Been in Texas since 98. Thanks for the advice

17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Glad I could help....I did the washer thing on my '08 GSX-R750 track bike but the top mount on the GT is an eye with a bolt through it. The Razor R from K-Tech is has a height adjustment. If memory serves me correctly it's like 10mm +/- I left mine alone though (factory length) since the 55 profile is about 5 or 6 mm taller than the 50 AND, I had already raised the fork tubes in the triple by 5mm. I'm completely happy with turn in now. Stock length of the shock is 328mm center to center on the mounting eyes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Used2befast likes this.
  18. Used2befast

I watched the video of Chris Moore do the 22 GT with a brocks exhaust. Working in engineering, I was curious to see what suzuki engineers did to neuter the K5/6 engine. Taller head gasket to reduce compression ratio to 12.2 (down from 12.5) and the ecm starts shutting down the throttle input around 9500 rpm.

Needless to say...148 is pretty respectable. To be totally honest, I ain't ready (just yet) to unleash that kinda hp on these new tires (yawn) and stock suspension. But just knowing the beast awaits gives me something to look forward to :cool:

19. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'm just impressed you could make it all the way through one of his video's - damn that guy has the most annoying voice! :) (plus, I'm not a fan of his love of "pops and bangs" tune's)

I pulled up 2wheeldynoworks info on the bike - a much more enjoyable video channel to watch and IMO, a much better tune shop.

Enjoy the new ride - by all accounts it's just a few tweaks away from being an amazing sport tourer!

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This post is Steeltoe Approved.