1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is going to screw up traffic

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 26, 2024.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yep, although it looks like MB will be hit as will GM and Ford exports. The exports will probably be a bit easier to reroute. With that said, even Sparrows Point might be closed down for a few days, but that shouldn't have any significant impact. As I think of it, the truck drivers might actually have more work to do to move exports sitting in B-more to other ports.

2. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

When they were building the new Tappan Zee Bridge between Tarrytown NY and Nyak NY they had a dozen or more of these there for a year. A few were HUGE. My guess is that they would cut up and lift out the large pieces that fell into the water and clear the shipping lane first. It's going to take awhile for them to get their since they dont look like top speed was high on their design criteria.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. VR45 Troll

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

cav115, Pride & Joy, bigtime and 4 others like this.
  6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I'll defer to the fact that I tend to skip him, ....and am mostly successful at it. :eek:

But also, it's like Alex Jones himself had posted, so it doesn't count (in my mind anyway, FWIW...) :D

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

During WWII, we didn’t have to worry about upsetting the habitat of the green haired bearded clam or the impotent screaming eunuch cucks…

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Post on Craigslist : FREE SCRAP METAL

500 tweakers will descend on it and have it gone by morning.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This repair will be 5 years. Easy

If you want to read about a fucked up story..... read up about the Edenville dam in Michigan that let loose because the state made the owner raise his water level.

All the houses that were flooded didn't have flood insurance. All the half million dollar waterfront homes sit on a big mud site now.

It's been 4+ years now. We hunt by there.....it is sad to see. The water in the dam let loose so fast it washed out 3 more bridges and also dams downstream. Boats are still stuck on their lifts and the water is half a mile away. Total shitshow. Insurance hasn't helped. Government got the bright idea to make assessments on the home/land owners.https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...owners-challenge-tax-assessments/72841587007/

10. VR45 Troll

No one cares what you think anyhow.

11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Except you, apparently.

Razr likes this.
  12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I don't know about deliberate but regardless if it lost power and controls or not, there was no way it was missing the bridge. Ships that big and heavy just can't maneuver that fast. They were heading in the wrong direction way before impact.

13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

They keep reporting about those missing as being workers on the bridge...

I SAW vehicles on that bridge when it went down. I've not seen any reports about searching for motorists. Or did I miss something?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The vehicles that were parked on the bridge were the workers'. The last car to cross the bridge did it 30 seconds before the collapse.

ToofPic and pjzocc like this.
  15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep, supposedly they were on break sitting in their trucks.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Traffic was stopped because the crew on the ship alerted whomever they were supposed to warn. I'm now wondering if those people who stopped the bridge traffic had no way to alert the workers to GTF off the bridge ASAP. I don't know if they would've made it but in the 30 seconds between the last car and the collapse, one would think they would have at least started to drive away.

pjzocc likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think we'll be seeing more and more of this type of stuff happening due to a progressive and consistent competency decline. We all see it across all sorts of industries. Idiocracy and the fat immobile people from WALL-E are what the future holds for us I fear. Unfortunately as we become more technologically advanced, we're becoming more technologically reliant and the people are going backwards.

Gino230, Dan Dubeau, Big T and 3 others like this.
  18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The cop who shut down traffic was about to go warn the workers when it collapsed.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It all depends on who has them under contract. The owners don't like these things sitting at a dock costing them money. They could be anywhere in the world. They require a tug or two and probably move at 10 knots max. Some have semi integrated tugs to move them.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Y'all remember the RORO that capsized in GA a few years back? This is the rig they ended up using. There's a giant chain that acts as a saw which cuts it up into pieces. The bridge is nowhere near this effort, but a lot of thought goes into engineering the best way to knock it out.

[​IMG]

5axis likes this.