1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figure this out… TTR engine issues

Discussion in 'General' started by 27, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Pmack

Pmack Member

Broken dipstick?

2. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Unless you’ve got a thing for perfection in all ways, run it. If it’s important it’ll eventually tell you. But after 20 years of abuse, it may have already told you, whatever that is, is not important.

I had two of those things for my two youngest sons to ride on while I raced. Left them stock. Couldn’t kill them. Great little bikes.

Big T and 27 like this.
  3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I have an 01 in my garage I bought for 200 bucks back in 2015. It still kicks on the second kick and it hasn't seen an oil change in at least 5 years. Rebuilt the carb after I let it sit for a few years with fuel in it bother than that, it's the most rock solid bike ever. Waiting till my 9 year old can pick it up off the ground to let him ride it full time. He's able to ride it around fine but it's too heavy if he got pinned under it still.

Best 200 I ever spent. As to what the chunks are, who cares it runs!

27 likes this.
  4. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

P
    Plastic.

27 likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

nope all looks like new… I was amazed at how good it looked inside considering

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly… I told him I’m not splitting the cases and would just put it back together and ride it… but since the top end is off and it was smoking a bit we’d freshen it up with seals and lap the valves in…

he went to order gaskets and rings and seals and calls me saying…. “Well… a 150cc kit wasn’t that expensive and I figure I could use the extra umph” :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yep, I told him whatever it is will be fine as it hasn’t broken yet… but he couldn’t do it… had to know…

8. PatricksDad

I got nothin’

27 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ll explain tomorrow in case anyone else wants to guess… I went through all the same guesses you all did… before I figured it out…

PatricksDad and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Junk in the trunk?

27 likes this.
  11. PatricksDad

There’s not much to them, is there?
    upload_2024-3-26_6-5-5.jpeg

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Is that the one that was listed here for sale about a week ago?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

14. PatricksDad

Yep. It's a riot.

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

How do you keep a room full of a$$holes in suspense?

16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

All good probable guesses before. Grasping straws here (I've never seen it): engine case inner rib broken off?...

27 likes this.
  17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Oh boy, they last forever if you leave them stock…

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what I thought…. But during the dig into finding this issue…. It turns out that this TTR that I bought at the used dealer auction when it was less than a year old had already been rebuilt… now… I’m not proud of the neglect and abuse but how in the world do you blow up a stock one?!? Ours all lived on the rev limiter and had 200lb grown men thrashing them constantly with not a bit of maintenance or concern…

see the reply to the guy that guessed it for more…

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Yep!

alright… so like I said… drain plug out… drip drizzle plop plop… aluminum chunks… some were coated in on side and it was cast… had to be a piston… but it runs fine and has for over 20 years…

I pulled the covers and found more pieces but nothing in the screen/filter thingy… rinsed and wiped it out ran a camera through all that we could and knowing nothing we could find was broken put it back together…

my vote was to run it until it broke if it ever did… but… my buddy was sure it was piston skirt pieces, as was I, but no knocking, good compression, runs and rides fine… I figured it would eventually fail but run it…

it being properly filled with oil made it smoke but before we changed it it ran and barely puffed a blue puff when gassed.. so a refresh was due…

He wanted it right so we tore it apart… to our surprise the piston was perfect… one ring was cracked… but we noticed some machining in the valve ports… then numbers on the piston and oiling holes and it wasn’t cast… and numbers on the cylinder from assembly…

so piston came back as a Wiesco overbore… which matched the info still written on the top of the cylinder… and the ported head all with the stock pipe on a nearly new TTR…

Once it was apart I could see the marks in the cases where the broken OEM piston bounced around a bit.. yep the pieces were piston pieces from the original one that didn’t get cleaned out…

it was fun to figure out and after a lifetime of working on engines I’ve never seen something this silly… especially the fact that it was ridden 20 years like that… and How in the world do you blow up a stock TTR… because we certainly should’ve done it by now if it happens…

and the worst part of the entire ordeal… I’m now being teased as a TTR cheater :D because my TTR, unknowingly to me of course was a sleeper overbore :) and the even more insult to injury… I nearly always got my ass handed to me at all of our backyard invitationals all those years :crackup:

I had to take a ringer to a Red Bull TTR50 “celebrity” invitational for the Indy GP years ago to save face… he spanked most of their athletes asses while I got soundly spanked as expected :crackup:

A buddy today said… “you know it’s odd how good you were on a Superbike but we all whipped you on TTRs” that’s what friends are for… keeping you humble :D

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You Eye-talian cam having....GSXR 750 in a 600 frame stuffing phony.

I call Shenanigans!!!

[​IMG]

TurboBlew, 27 and ToofPic like this.