1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is going to screw up traffic

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah big news here. I used to commute that bridge daily. joec and booger might be impacted

3. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

I just woke up and saw this on the fb

4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I can see the bridge from my house. Well I could yesterday.

Quicktoy, TurboBlew, flygirl and 5 others like this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

One of our squ@d is in Perry hall, but uses the 895 tunnel. I can only imagine his commute and newfound commuter increase is going to make him ready to fill out his retirement papers. What a nightmare

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Wife and kids make fun of me because I hate going over big bridges over the water. This is absolutely one of my biggest fears.

7. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it’s going to mess up local commuting all that much. Most locals don’t use the bridge, but we use the hell out of the 2 tunnels. I think they will see some increased traffic.

The real issue is the bridge in the water blocking the channel into and out of the Port of Baltimore. One of the largest ports in the US is shutdown until they get the wreckage cleared.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

7 people missing.....

I can't believe how fast that bridge collapsed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah that was freaky how it all just came down at the same instant.

We were having solar flares recently I wonder if the timing matches up.

10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Seriously... how the hell does this happen? How does that bigass canoe smack that bridge support like that??? It's not like it grazed it just off the starboard side... homeboy straight up hit that thing center mass, like he was aiming for it!

Don't those ships have collision warning systems and gps's and shit????

11. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Looks like the ship lost power 2 different times before impact,wondering what could cause that?

Jed likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

a hacking and reset of the control systems… unless that was rhetorical… and I’m not captain obvious

ToofPic likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

And for all you music guys…

There was a song by a band in the 90s/00s and deep into the jam they belted out “and Francis Scott Key….” Seems like it was a nautical song and seeing this I just remembered that was the name they sang… grunge/Alt era music….

anyone? Bueler? Tia

Big T likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hope all on the bridge got out ok. Doesn't sound like it though.

I am already expecting more east coast port delays for my stuff coming from Japan. And we are already seeing 2-3+ week delays. This can only increase port time at Norfolk, Savannah, NY/NJ, etc.

I get it if they had a mechanical failure...but my money is on they have been barely keeping this rusty tub a float with some United/aeroflot level hillbilly patch it maintenance. And that is not cool. If that's the case i hope they throw the book at the owner and the management company.

Once a Wanker.. and Circacee like this.
  15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Youtube - What is going on With Shipping?
    The guy gives a good overview

5axis and bergs like this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

As someone who watches Air Disasters and wanting to know the causes, I'm curious as to responsibility of the "pilot" who takes takes control/assist with maneuvering through the harbor. Losing power was something I also heard as well. How does that issue factor in? How much the bill will be for the ship owner and other liabilities involved.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. 418

418 Expert #59

Is that bridge the one that's super narrow with just two lanes each way and no shoulder at all?

That thing always gave me the heebie jeebies.

ToofPic likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Built in 2015. Were I a betting man I'd think the power loss caused the hydraulics to go out (duh) and the rudder was at near full right when it did. Loss of steerage is bad. Big bad. Then the slower you go the less steerage you have. They do have bow thrusters but they don't work well when under way. So, the big question to me is what caused the loss of power? Big ass Baltimore wharf rat in the panel? At first, I thought the pilots would be hanging for this, but it looks like it's on the captain, ship owner, and charter company to point fingers at each other, and the pilots.

19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I've seen video from a couple different places/angles that shows loss of power (entire ship went dark), then the power came back on. Then, another power loss and total darkness, and a return of power. After the second "power back on", it was mere seconds.....maybe 5 or 6 seconds, before the ship struck the bridge.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Looks like the old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston. I hated that thing. Once in stop-and-go traffic I was stuck at the apex when a ship went under. You could see the stacks from inside the car and feel the heat from the exhaust as it passed directly under with around 20 feet to spare.

Once a Wanker.. and Stumpy like this.